Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Cespedes and Price

If they go that route I'd suspect they'd only be able to hang onto Price, Cespedes, and maybe Soria. I'd suspect they let Avila, Davis, Simon walk and go on the cheap to fill out the roster from there barring any major trades.

I don't see how we can afford either.

Next year we start kicking money in to Texas on the Kinsler deal. JD is eligible for arbitration, so are Iglesias, Romine, and Alburquerque. R. Davis, Avila, Simon, Soria, Nathan (buyout), Chamberlain are free agents.

Both those guys are going to get big money contracts, going to be hard to sign either of those guys and still fill the holes free agency will create.

Anyone who says we can't is well not informed.

Check out the money from the new TV deal that is hitting and understand that each team gets a boat load more money each year.

For instance, I believe starting this year ESPNs contract alone gives the MLB 700 million a year! Up from 306!!! Meaning in just the first year of the deal from just ESPN (not including others) each team gets 13 extra million to play with.

The estimated boost for each team from all networks comes around 40+ million.

Yeah we can afford whatever we want.

Price will be 30 in August but someone will give him a 6-7 year deal around 30 per year. But it won't be us.

I don't see how we can afford either.

Next year we start kicking money in to Texas on the Kinsler deal. JD is eligible for arbitration, so are Iglesias, Romine, and Alburquerque. R. Davis, Avila, Simon, Soria, Nathan (buyout), Chamberlain are free agents.

Both those guys are going to get big money contracts, going to be hard to sign either of those guys and still fill the holes free agency will create.

I don't see JD or Iglesias getting huge money in arbitration and obviously Al and Romine aren't going to be big dollar guys. Nathan's buyout is a million. Raji/Avila/Simon will not likely be retained. They will have to be replaced within the organization.

I do agree it will be tough to find the cash to do both and Price may just be too much in all honesty.

Key is some guys within the organization start to develop. They will need at least one starting pitcher if not two from the minors (or TC guys from another team) to fill the 4th/5th roles.

Anyone who says we can't is well not informed.

Check out the money from the new TV deal that is hitting and understand that each team gets a boat load more money each year.

For instance, I believe starting this year ESPNs contract alone gives the MLB 700 million a year! Up from 306!!! Meaning in just the first year of the deal from just ESPN (not including others) each team gets 13 extra million to play with.

The estimated boost for each team from all networks comes around 40+ million.

Yeah we can afford whatever we want.

Anyone who says this ^^^ has no clue what he's talking about.

Tigers are operating at a loss already, you think an extra $40 million makes us able to afford whatever we want?

I don't see JD or Iglesias getting huge money in arbitration and obviously Al and Romine aren't going to be big dollar guys. Nathan's buyout is a million. Raji/Avila/Simon will not likely be retained. They will have to be replaced within the organization.

I do agree it will be tough to find the cash to do both and Price may just be too much in all honesty.

Key is some guys within the organization start to develop. They will need at least one starting pitcher if not two from the minors (or TC guys from another team) to fill the 4th/5th roles.

Did you LOL at yourself when you typed the bold part?

Plus, until I see MI willing to go over the tax threshold..I won't believe we sign either as well. We're already close as it is..

I'm not excepting either one to be signed to an extension with the Tigers, I think this the last shot at it and they are both 1 year stars to try and help get it done in 2015, succeed or fail I don't expect either to be back in 2016, ultimately it all comes down to illtch though and whether or not he wants to keep taking another shot at it, the hour is getting very late though imo

Did you LOL at yourself when you typed the bold part?

Not at all. One of Lobstein/Ryan/Farmer will likely be the number 5 next year. Raji Davis? A blend of Moya/Avery/Fields/Collins with Gose hopefully being capable of carrying more at bats. McCann is already with the team.

I have noticed it's become quite popular for this board to shit all over the outlook of the organization but so long as the tigers have an owner committed to winning there is always reason for optimism.

My god you all need to just get the fuck over the Fister trade. DD lost one. Shit happens.

Not at all. One of Lobstein/Ryan/Farmer will likely be the number 5 next year. Raji Davis? A blend of Moya/Avery/Fields/Collins with Gose hopefully being capable of carrying more at bats. McCann is already with the team.

I have noticed it's become quite popular for this board to shit all over the outlook of the organization but so long as the tigers have an owner committed to winning there is always reason for optimism.

My god you all need to just get the fuck over the Fister trade. DD lost one. Shit happens.

The thing with "shit over the outlook of the organization." It's not the organization as a whole that get's shit on but the minor league system. If you expect Lob/Ryan/Farmer to do anything but suck..I don't know what to tell ya..

Settle down little fella. This has nothing to do with the Fister trade, our farm system was poorly ranked long before that trade.

That's not whining or negativity, that just fact.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/2015-organization-talent-rankings/ - dead last.

http://www.sportingnews.com/list/46...cts-cubs-rangers-red-sox-fantasy/slide/298785 - 29 of 30

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=25592 - dead last again

Mike Ilitch doesn't care how much he spends on payroll ....... to a point.

It would appear the cutoff maximum is the ceiling of what is $189 Million?

or a team has to pay the luxury tax.

Ilitch wants to win to a point of spending not any higher than that.

Even with that ceiling, being in the red last year? has also stopped him from spending the millions more to reach it.

He wants to win at all cost to a point.

Hope here is DD finds another young pitching steal in a trade.

Settle down little fella. This has nothing to do with the Fister trade, our farm system was poorly ranked long before that trade.

That's not whining or negativity, that just fact.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/2015-organization-talent-rankings/ - dead last.

http://www.sportingnews.com/list/46...cts-cubs-rangers-red-sox-fantasy/slide/298785 - 29 of 30

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=25592 - dead last again

I'm well aware our farm system is not stout. Doesn't mean we are completely devoid of players who can replace the likes of Alfredo Simon, Raji Davis, and Alex Avila. Not like I said replace David price or YC with our farm system. You gotta save money somewhere and spending 5 to 7 million on a 5th starter, a platoon OF, and Avila are the prime areas the team can save money. Not to mention not having two relievers making 8 and 10 million.

Getting back to the OP if they can't swing either guy I'd suspect they look to FA anyway albeit on cheaper contracts obviously. The tigers may hold off on YC anyway (as to a possible extentsion) and see how Moya does (although not looking good right now)

My irritation wasn't really directed at you moreso the general mood of the board (I'm feeling anyway) as the result of a few unpopular moves. End of the day I'm sure most of us remember how bad the tigers were for 2 decades and waning fan support is the only thing that will put us back there (minus Illitch passing away and ownership tanking from there) and in all honesty I think we are a bit spoiled.

I'm well aware our farm system is not stout. Doesn't mean we are completely devoid of players who can replace the likes of Alfredo Simon, Raji Davis, and Alex Avila. Not like I said replace David price or YC with our farm system. You gotta save money somewhere and spending 5 to 7 million on a 5th starter, a platoon OF, and Avila are the prime areas the team can save money. Not to mention not having two relievers making 8 and 10 million.

Getting back to the OP if they can't swing either guy I'd suspect they look to FA anyway albeit on cheaper contracts obviously. The tigers may hold off on YC anyway (as to a possible extentsion) and see how Moya does (although not looking good right now)

My irritation wasn't really directed at you moreso the general mood of the board (I'm feeling anyway) as the result of a few unpopular moves. End of the day I'm sure most of us remember how bad the tigers were for 2 decades and waning fan support is the only thing that will put us back there (minus Illitch passing away and ownership tanking from there) and in all honesty I think we are a bit spoiled.

Pretty much guarantee there isn't an Avila down there. He does so much.

The thing with "shit over the outlook of the organization." It's not the organization as a whole that get's shit on but the minor league system. If you expect Lob/Ryan/Farmer to do anything but suck..I don't know what to tell ya..

I expect one of them to be a fringe 5th starter like what just about every other organization in baseball has to contend with.

The fact DD fleeced other teams for Scherzer and Fister (and by all rights Sanchez) doesn't mean we were going to live with that kind of rotation for infinity. Porcello just got 80 million over four years. It wasn't sustainable and never was going to be. Back to the real world guys

Back