Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Nathan out for the year

Sbee

according to the team

too bad for him but it's maybe the best thing that could have happened to the team. I'm sure they can make an insurance claim on his contract and get some of the $$ back, he wasn't going to be a productive reliever and would have likely been released anyway.

It almost guarantees we do not pick up his $10 Mil 2016 option. Although it will cost $1 Mil to do so.

Glad we didn't have to go through the whole "who's the closer" saga. Too bad for Nathan but this was best for the Tigers.

This is probably the end of Nathan's career given his age and the nature of the injury. He had a heck of a run, unfortunately almost all of it was against us (even when he was here). Not sure if he'll make the HOF, but it's at least worthy of discussion. If this is it, he'll have put in 16 MLB seasons with a career 2.89 ERA, 377 saves, and 1.18 WHIP, with 6 all-star appearances, two top 5 Cy Young seasons, two top 20 MVP years, and an AL Rolaids Reliever win. He'll have also made just over $85mil in his career. Not too shabby.

according to the team

too bad for him but it's maybe the best thing that could have happened to the team. I'm sure they can make an insurance claim on his contract and get some of the $$ back, he wasn't going to be a productive reliever and would have likely been released anyway.

That was my first question when I heard the news. I hope they had some insurance on his contract.

That was my first question when I heard the news. I hope they had some insurance on his contract.

HCC Specialty Underwriters, Inc. President Marc Idelson said that most MLB teams "insure their long-term deals, even though premiums can be as high as 10% of the contract's annual value," according to Jon Paul Morosi of the DETROIT FREE PRESS. Most insurance policies "cover three-year intervals and are renewable." Policy premiums are "linked to the comprehensiveness of the coverage," and Idelson said that "most policies cover between [50-80%] of a player's salary." The NBA and NHL have "league-wide plans for their clubs," and while MLB does not, most MLB teams "obtain some form of coverage for their stars." MLB teams are "only able to collect on a policy" if a player is on the DL. And while policies "generally require players to remain on the [DL] for 60 or 90 days before the payments begin," the deductible period -- like the amount of coverage -- "can be adjusted depending on what the club is willing to pay." But MLB and insurance industry sources indicated that policies "often exclude areas of the body that have been seriously injured before." Also, position players are "less expensive to insure than pitchers." ESPN's Steve Phillips said that two events in '01 "changed the baseball insurance" marketplace: the Orioles received a reported $27.3M claim on the remaining $39M of injured LF Albert Belle's contract, and the World Trade Center attacks on September 11 "precipitated large payouts throughout the insurance industry at large" (DETROIT FREE PRESS, 5/11).

Odds are that Nathan's elbow wasn't covered, and if it was, it required higher premiums or at least a higher deductible.

My general impression is that DET just ate $20 Mil for 1 really bad year of Nathan.

HCC Specialty Underwriters, Inc. President Marc Idelson said that most MLB teams "insure their long-term deals, even though premiums can be as high as 10% of the contract's annual value," according to Jon Paul Morosi of the DETROIT FREE PRESS. Most insurance policies "cover three-year intervals and are renewable." Policy premiums are "linked to the comprehensiveness of the coverage," and Idelson said that "most policies cover between [50-80%] of a player's salary." The NBA and NHL have "league-wide plans for their clubs," and while MLB does not, most MLB teams "obtain some form of coverage for their stars." MLB teams are "only able to collect on a policy" if a player is on the DL. And while policies "generally require players to remain on the [DL] for 60 or 90 days before the payments begin," the deductible period -- like the amount of coverage -- "can be adjusted depending on what the club is willing to pay." But MLB and insurance industry sources indicated that policies "often exclude areas of the body that have been seriously injured before." Also, position players are "less expensive to insure than pitchers." ESPN's Steve Phillips said that two events in '01 "changed the baseball insurance" marketplace: the Orioles received a reported $27.3M claim on the remaining $39M of injured LF Albert Belle's contract, and the World Trade Center attacks on September 11 "precipitated large payouts throughout the insurance industry at large" (DETROIT FREE PRESS, 5/11).

Odds are that Nathan's elbow wasn't covered, and if it was, it required higher premiums or at least a higher deductible.

My general impression is that DET just ate $20 Mil for 1 really bad year of Nathan.

Thanks!

Now if we could somehow get an adequate replacement. Outside of Soria, there's no one else I trust.

You will hear Rafael Soriano rumors within the next 24 hours

Or Jose Valverde, Brian Wilson, Matt Capps, Heath Bell, Kevin Gregg, Carlos Marmol, John Axford, J.J. Putz, Brandon League, Jason Motte, Chris Perez...any ex-closer who isn't currently closing at the MLB level.

And the premise will be that they could find lightning in a bottle.

Last edited:
Anyone know if they have to pay is $1m buyout if he decides to retire? If not, I bet he attempts a comeback just to get his last million.

Good thing Joba inked a contract for next to nothing to stay in Detroit in 2015. Does anyone know if Rondon is coming back.

Once again we have a week bullpen other than Soria.

Soriano is a Scott Boras client I doubt we sign him he might put us over the luxery tax.

It almost guarantees we do not pick up his $10 Mil 2016 option. Although it will cost $1 Mil to do so.

Injury or not, this will be the best $1 million the club ever spent!

Last edited:
Anyone know if they have to pay is $1m buyout if he decides to retire? If not, I bet he attempts a comeback just to get his last million.

No. If he officially retires, then the $1 Mil is left on the table.

If DET releases him, he gets paid. The issue is whether DET keeps him on the 40-man roster in the off season to begin with. Bottom line, DET pays him the $1 Mil so that they can use the roster spot, assuming he does not file for retirement. Nathan has to file papers to officially retire.

FYI....Bernie Williams just now filed his retirement papers with the Yankees. 9 years after he stopped playing.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-b...s--nine-years-after-final-game-234911680.html

Last edited:
Back