Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Borges

hungry

I thought we got rid of 'backyard football' and brought in 'manball.'

That crap on O yesterday was backyard football...the QB's changing in and out.

What happened to lining up and running it at them and beating them, because we're tougher?

Well our offense is tiny. Rawls is the only back I could see do any well in the I formation agaisnt a good defense. Maybe

Strong wind messed with both quarterbacks. The game was never more than a one possession difference until the pick 6. We threw 31 passes. They threw 24. We had 10 carries from running backs all game, and 4 of them were on the first drive. The rest of the game, our running backs totaled 6 carries. Guess how many times we handed off to running backs on consecutive plays....ONCE, and yes, it was on the first drive.

We continually lined up in the shotgun after at least working in some IForm West Coast style on the first drive. Our most effective running play all year has been Denard running behind a guard trap block on the inside. I mistakenly said yesterday in the chatroom that it was run twice yesterday. After watching the replay again last night, we ran it 3 times for 12 yards.

And so today we get the morons like Drew Sharp calling for a change in starting quarterbacks. We don't need to change quarterbacks. We need to attack defenses with Denard's skills, not Ryan Lindley's.

Wow, I totally agree. I'm figuring if I would of come up with this thread, I would have gotten slammed. Because I was thinking it was Hokes' fault. He was the one who said we needed to toughen up and toughen our attack. Well yesterday looked like pansie time from last year, all over again. The play calling seemed like we were down 21 the whole game.

bamf16 said:
Strong wind messed with both quarterbacks. The game was never more than a one possession difference until the pick 6. We threw 31 passes. They threw 24. We had 10 carries from running backs all game, and 4 of them were on the first drive. The rest of the game, our running backs totaled 6 carries. Guess how many times we handed off to running backs on consecutive plays....ONCE, and yes, it was on the first drive.

yeah, I agree moving away from the running game was a mistake.

when you're QB is as off as Denard was yesterday, you might as well run. even if they're containing it, a 2-3 yard gain is better than an incompletion or a pick.

after that first MSU fumble, we went 3 and out, with 2 bad throws and a sack. what a waste

Hungry said:
....What happened to lining up and running it at them and beating them, because we're tougher?

Give him time, he just needs his own players.

I look at our offense as being stuck between what we want to do and what our players do best.

But to be fair, Hoke/Borges have done a better job than did RR/Magee with marrying the what we want to do and our players do. Yesterday was far too much of Denard's/Devin's arms and far too little RB.

MichChamp02 said:
bamf16 said:

yeah, I agree moving away from the running game was a mistake.

when you're QB is as off as Denard was yesterday, you might as well run. even if they're containing it, a 2-3 yard gain is better than an incompletion or a pick.

after that first MSU fumble, we went 3 and out, with 2 bad throws and a sack. what a waste

I agree and since it was a tie or one possession game most of the time, lull them to sleep. Denard gets stopped all the time and so does Vincent, BUT they always seem to bust one or two or three.

I still think devin is not yet A starter. But developing

Ghe criers and moaners tjink lije chicken little

Fourth an inches.... Lets see....

1. QB sneak.
2. Hand off to running Back.
3. Play action pass.

Holy crap i do believe it is by far the worse call i have seen given the situation and the fact we have two QB's who really don't read blitzes very well.. Borges put Robinson in a very bad spot with this call.

Even if it wasn't a slow developing PA Denard could have avoided the sack and run up the left side for a 1st down.

I'm not just talking about the 4th down call. Obviously, that one stands out, but this stuff went on the entire game. Handing the ball off and getting 1 or 2 yards has a lot more effect than just getting 1 or 2 yards. It wears on the defense. The struggle on an inside run to get those yards wears people out. That 1 or 2 yards in the first half turns into 5 or 6 in the 2nd half. Michigan did nothing to even try to wear down MSU's defense. Instead they just played right into their 'blitz,blitz,blitz' defense.

Back