Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 32: Detroit @ Arizona 5-10-2017

https://www.detroitathletic.com/blog/2017/05/11/firing-ausmus-doesnt-make-sense-tigers-heres/
Firing Ausmus doesn?t make sense for the Tigers, and here?s why. Good read.
Detroit Athletic

good find KC

This is what rings true to me.

"Tigers General Manager Al Avila was elevated to his position after the abrupt dismissal of Dave Dombrowski late in the 2015 season. Let?s be honest about that move: Mike Ilitch lifted Avila into the role because the team owner had a tantrum. After Dombrowski (wisely, mind you) dumped players at the trade deadline, Ilitch reacted rashly. He jettisoned the best GM the Tigers have ever had (and currently the best in the game) and picked the next nice guy he had sitting in the front office, the only other guy who had any experience doing anything close to the role of GM. At the press briefing announcing his hiring, Avila was all smiles and Ilitch was steadfast in his belief that his new man was ?the right man? for the job.

Avila is a nice man, for sure. But he?s not anyone?s first choice for building a championship baseball team. None of the other 29 MLB teams would seriously consider hiring him for the main job. He was an apprentice to Dombrowski in name only. Trader Dave ran the show. He made the decisions. Avila?s placid performance in his 20 months on the job show that he?s out of his element.

Which brings me to this point: Ausmus was hired by Dombrowski after the 2013 season. The current Tiger skipper is not Avila?s man. If Al replaces him (especially in midseason), he opens himself up to criticism. Right now, he can stick with the status quo and deflect any pressure."

1st year year here Anibal only gave up 9 home runs. Next year, injured shorten only 4. Now it's golfer ball city..

good find KC

This is what rings true to me.

"Tigers General Manager Al Avila was elevated to his position after the abrupt dismissal of Dave Dombrowski late in the 2015 season. Let?s be honest about that move: Mike Ilitch lifted Avila into the role because the team owner had a tantrum. After Dombrowski (wisely, mind you) dumped players at the trade deadline, Ilitch reacted rashly. He jettisoned the best GM the Tigers have ever had (and currently the best in the game) and picked the next nice guy he had sitting in the front office, the only other guy who had any experience doing anything close to the role of GM. At the press briefing announcing his hiring, Avila was all smiles and Ilitch was steadfast in his belief that his new man was ?the right man? for the job.

Avila is a nice man, for sure. But he?s not anyone?s first choice for building a championship baseball team. None of the other 29 MLB teams would seriously consider hiring him for the main job. He was an apprentice to Dombrowski in name only. Trader Dave ran the show. He made the decisions. Avila?s placid performance in his 20 months on the job show that he?s out of his element.

Which brings me to this point: Ausmus was hired by Dombrowski after the 2013 season. The current Tiger skipper is not Avila?s man. If Al replaces him (especially in midseason), he opens himself up to criticism. Right now, he can stick with the status quo and deflect any pressure."

Ausmus might not be the main problem but I'm not sure he's done a good job. The one thing that irritates me is how he uses his platoon's. You need to get players their at bats but McCann shouldn't have more PA vs RHP than Avila. His stupid .137 average. He's fine vs LHP - use him there..

In the early part of the season, Avila over 1.200 OPS vs RHP and McCann over 1.100 OPS vs LHP.

It was the same as the Gose-Davis thing a couple years ago.

Back