Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Trade idea for top notch starter

nsonnett14

Figured why not , asked on game thread but not the place . My trade chips are Castellanos and Jiminez to start . Could be worth something good , i dunno ?

I do not see how they can afford any of the free agents. And giving Castellanos and Jiminez would deplete the team more so as there is no minor's to fill in at this time. and the offence could lose J. D, as well. In truth they do not have the trade bate to make it happen. Simple they got to draft better. and that not going to fix much now!

As for now they got to play more better than .500. Playing .500 means that some one is not showing up every day. Every body got to kick it in gear. One thing is they got to cut down on there strikeouts. They are giving too many non productive outs that way. Striking out does not give the defense the chance to help with bad fielding, the metal error, the fielding error, the throwing error, fcol some one has to do there job with the ball in play! Also the strike out hardy moves a runner to the next base unless the runner was trying to steal or made it on the strikeout hit and run.

This team got the players to do the job. They just got to get with the program and go out and do it.

I do not see how they can afford any of the free agents. And giving Castellanos and Jiminez would deplete the team more so as there is no minor's to fill in at this time. and the offence could lose J. D, as well. In truth they do not have the trade bate to make it happen. Simple they got to draft better. and that not going to fix much now!

As for now they got to play more better than .500. Playing .500 means that some one is not showing up every day. Every body got to kick it in gear. One thing is they got to cut down on there strikeouts. They are giving too many non productive outs that way. Striking out does not give the defense the chance to help with bad fielding, the metal error, the fielding error, the throwing error, fcol some one has to do there job with the ball in play! Also the strike out hardy moves a runner to the next base unless the runner was trying to steal or made it on the strikeout hit and run.

This team got the players to do the job. They just got to get with the program and go out and do it.

Yea man i dont know , just frustrated is all because i think we are real close !!

We certainly need help in the pitching department but I just don't trust Avila trying to put together a trade of that magnitude. He's in so far over his head.

Yea man i dont know , just frustrated is all because i think we are real close !!

I think we're .500 because some of our big bats have struggled. Added on where do we add the starter too. We already have an expensive guy in the BP, Sanchez. Not sure they want Zimmerman there as well. You know JV stays, Fullmer and Boyd pitching well.. Norris?

I don't see us adding a SP.

I think we're .500 because some of our big bats have struggled. Added on where do we add the starter too. We already have an expensive guy in the BP, Sanchez. Not sure they want Zimmerman there as well. You know JV stays, Fullmer and Boyd pitching well.. Norris?

I don't see us adding a SP.

We are at .500 because we have 4 blown saves. And maybe the bullpen has more losses we could find. I am all for better hitting also but ..heck I don't know.

We are at .500 because we have 4 blown saves. And maybe the bullpen has more losses we could find. I am all for better hitting also but ..heck I don't know.

Maybe if Miggy was hitting, Vmart, Kinsler - and we had no JD those saves might have never been save opportunities after all. Also add in Nick. 5 players who were the best 5 players from last year. I know the BP has been rocky and Zimmerman etc.. But it's hitting. Of those 5, Miggy has the highest OPS .715. That is just bad, real bad.

Detroit is tied for 2nd in the AL for Quality Starts. Starting pitching absolutely is NOT the issue. A team, over large sample size, generally wins as many games as Quality Starts, given league average offense and bull pen. DET has 21 QS and just 18 wins. This generally means the offense/bull pen has cost just 3 wins.

The next stat. DET is tied for last with Loses Saved. Meaning, when the starter left the game and was going to the loss, the times the team came back to tie or go ahead. The number is 2. HOU and NYY leads with 8, 2 of the top teams in the AL.

Detroit is tied for 2nd in the AL for Quality Starts. Starting pitching absolutely is NOT the issue. A team, over large sample size, generally wins as many games as Quality Starts, given league average offense and bull pen. DET has 21 QS and just 18 wins. This generally means the offense/bull pen has cost just 3 wins.

The next stat. DET is tied for last with Loses Saved. Meaning, when the starter left the game and was going to the loss, the times the team came back to tie or go ahead. The number is 2. HOU and NYY leads with 8, 2 of the top teams in the AL.

"Just" 3 wins is a lot when we're less than 40 games in.. That could be 12 for the season, which translate to 24 games above .500. Just based on that. Plus it's hard to translate wins loss with hitting.. If the 5 hitters weren't all hitting like shit, throw in our SS - and half our C platoon, who knows where we'd be.

"Just" 3 wins is a lot when we're less than 40 games in.. That could be 12 for the season, which translate to 24 games above .500. Just based on that. Plus it's hard to translate wins loss with hitting.. If the 5 hitters weren't all hitting like shit, throw in our SS - and half our C platoon, who knows where we'd be.

The "generally" 3 wins is based on an average assumption and based on large sample size, which I stated. 40 games IS NOT a large sample size. Generally = more often than not

We can play the "what if" game all day long.

What if Ausmus platoon his catchers properly?

What if Ausmus used his bull pen properly?

What if Ausmus stayed with his hot hitters?

What if Ausmus didn't start Romine everyday?

On and on. The gist of my response was that the performance in general by the starters is the least of what is wrong with this team. But let's just focus on me saying they generally might have 3 wins more, because lord knows that was the most important thing.

Last edited:
What hot hitters? The one thing I know, Miggy - Victor - Nick - Kinsler won't be getting hit for hot hitters regardless. They all stink in 2017. That's the top reason why the team hasn't won more. And regardless your point, the biggest culprit is the hitting and that can't be rebutted.

Not SP, not BP, not injuries, not coaching. Not a combination of things - just the hitting. And don't jump to assumptions that you think you know what I meant. In-fact I laid it out pretty straight forward.. OFFENSE. Just agree with it and let it go.

Last edited:
What hot hitters? The one thing I know, Miggy - Victor - Nick - Kinsler won't be getting hit for hot hitters regardless. They all stink in 2017. That's the top reason why the team hasn't won more. And regardless your point, the biggest culprit is the hitting and that can't be rebutted.

Not SP, not BP, not injuries, not coaching. Not a combination of things - just the hitting. And don't jump to assumptions that you think you know what I meant. In-fact I laid it out pretty straight forward.. OFFENSE. Just agree with it and let it go.

Regardless of who's been hot or cold, we're 4th in average runs scored per game at 4.72. We've lost SIX times scoring 5+ runs already. That's a lot of losses this early in the season.

My opinion

Offense-:clap:
Starting pitching-:clap:
Defense-:shrug:
relief pitching-:cheers:

Managing-:ugh:

Regardless of who's been hot or cold, we're 4th in average runs scored per game at 4.72. We've lost SIX times scoring 5+ runs already. That's a lot of losses this early in the season.

My opinion

Offense-:clap:
Starting pitching-:clap:
Defense-:shrug:
relief pitching-:cheers:

Managing-:ugh:

Point taken. But if our hitters were hitting, the 4 I mentioned maybe we'd average 5.72 a game ;-)

For the record current < career
V-Mart .270 < .300= -30
Cabrera .238 < .320= -92
Castellanos .234 < .262= -28
Kinsler .223 < .276= -43
Iglesias .204 < .270= -66
Collins .226< .247= -21
McCann .179< .238= -59
Mahtook .184< .226= -42
Way too many under performing.

The biggest problem with the starting pitching is not going 6+ to many times making the BP pitch too many innings.

As far as the defense .984tied for 7th. 20 errors, tied for 4th. However it really matters when the defense fails that matters. 15 unearned runs.

IMO relief is much better mow after some weeding.

For the record current < career
V-Mart .270 < .300= -30
Cabrera .238 < .320= -92
Castellanos .234 < .262= -28
Kinsler .223 < .276= -43
Iglesias .204 < .270= -66
Collins .226< .247= -21
McCann .179< .238= -59
Mahtook .184< .226= -42
Way too many under performing.

The biggest problem with the starting pitching is not going 6+ to many times making the BP pitch too many innings.

As far as the defense .984tied for 7th. 20 errors, tied for 4th. However it really matters when the defense fails that matters. 15 unearned runs.

IMO relief is much better mow after some weeding.

And that's putting it mildly. Because it's not just about the BA. Look at Miggy for example, 8 extra base hits and 12 BB to 28 SO. All horrible. I've never seen all these guys struggling at the same time for so long.. Honestly, it's a miracle we're a .500 team.

Alex Avila

John Hicks

Jim Adducci

at times, Tyler Collins

Collins hitting #2 (39 PA) = .294 BAVG .385 OBP .471 SLG .855 OPS

Collins hitting elsewhere (63 PA) = .186 BAVG .238 OBP .237 SLG .475 OPS

Castellanos hitting #2 (106 PA) = .212 BAVG .255 OBP .404 SLG .659 OPS

Castellanos hitting elsewhere (55 PA) = .283 BAVG .400 OBP .413 SLG .813 OPS

Romine hitting #1 (30 PA) = .154 BAVG .241 BAVG .269 SLG .510 OPS

Romine hitting elsewhere (66 PA) = .262 BAVG .328 OBP .443 SLG .771 OPS

AL Rankings

#1 = 13th
#2 = 10th
#3 = 12th
#4 = 11th
#5 = 5th
#6 = 5th
#7 = 3rd
#8 = 10th
#9 = 7th

2nd in AL 2 out, w/RISP

3rd in AL w/RISP

11th in AL with no one on

Dead last in offense 7th inning and beyond (NYY and HOU is 1 and 2)

M. Cabrera Runners On = .317 BAVG .404 OBP .512 SLG .916 OPS

M. Cabrera RISP = .320 BAVG .414 OBP .520 SLG .934 OPS

N. Castellanos Runners On = .288 BAVG .403 OBP .458 SLG .861 OPS

N. Castellanos RISP = .296 BAVG .444 OBP .407 SLG .851 OPS

V. Martinez Runners On = .297 BAVG .338 OBP .344 SLG .682 OPS

V. Martinez RISP = .368 BAVG .422 OBP .395 SLG .817 OPS

13th in AL in Leading Off an inning

11th in AL with No One On

2nd in AL with Runners On

3rd in AL w/RISP

Our hitters do fine when we have runners on base or RISP. What the issue is and has been, is we don't have hitters who can get on base to start an inning. We have free swingers who do not cut down on their swing and try to get on base at any cost.

When we get to a pitcher, we usually sustain the hitting and score a lot of runs. We have a lot of feast or famine games. We do NOT have a consistent offense. We also don't have one that does well after the 6th inning and rarely comes from behind in a game.

Last edited:
Back