Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 44 Tigers vs. astros May 23, 2017

I couldn't stay up, at least not a shutout again,

Going through the game thread, something about Alex, and I got the feeling after Monday's 0 for 4 four strikeout game he would get a night off and he did.
He did play 7 straight games, http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/_/id/30115/alex-avila

Castellanos does appear to be reverting back to chasing low and away, and his defense is suffering again, might be frustration level intensifying, idk.

This astro's team is well coached, and have good advance scouting, or they have the visitor's clubhouse and dugout electronically bugged, just seem to know Tigers weaknesses.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/tigers-...775#game_state=final,game_tab=box,game=490775
Boxscore.

NOTABLE:
Tigers starter Jordan Zimmermann, celebrating his 31st birthday on Tuesday, struck out the 1,000th batter of his career in the second inning. It was Jake Marisnick. His first strikeout? That came against Jeff Francoeur in 2009.

Zimmermann pitched well on Tuesday, but continues to be plagued by home runs. He's given up 13 in roughly 50 innings this year, the same number he allowed over 199 innings in 2014.
He gave up 14 in 105 innings last year.
On the positive side, 10 of the 13 home runs were solo shots.
The other three were two-run homers.
?I pitched a lot better,? he said. ?I feel like I?m getting better every time out.?

Fuck off Zimmermann, there is alot of room for improvement!!!!!

Astros starter Lance McCuller has baffled other teams, not just the Tigers, in 2017. He lasted only five innings in Tuesday but surrendered only one infield hit. Over his last four starts, he's pitched 24 innings and allowed only one unearned run on 10 hits.

On Monday, Astros right fielder George Springer led off the first inning with a walk. He came around to score the game's only run.

Castellanos is in a 5-for-40 slump at the plate over the last 11 games.
Two errors came from Castellanos, who has now matched his season total from last year with nine. In a season where he has made defensive improvements and put in the work, reflected in a small sample size in defensive metrics, the error total belies that.
He was asked about the possibility of taking his hitting woes onto the field with him.
?It?s one of those things; I do my best to try not to let it affect my defense,? he said. ?But it is what it is.?

ROARS:
Mikie Mahtook: Hit his second home run of the year, accounting for the only offense the Tigers have mustered in two games, and two of the five hits they've recorded in said games.

Jordan Zimmermann: He grinded through six innings with an open sore on his pitching hand and held the Astros to just four hits, unfortunately two of them were solo home runs.

HISSES:
Tigers defense: An error in the third inning by Castellanos and a horrendous throwing error by Alex Wilson on a sure double play ball highlighted the struggles of the Tigers as a team in this forgettable game.

Tigers offense: Held to just two runs and four hits.

STREAKS AND INFO:
The two run homer by Mahtook in the sixth inning ended a 22 inning scoreless streak by the Tigers? offense.

DD had it right...and he got fired for it. They should have continued the "rebuild" but Mr I wanted that ring. J-UP, Zimm, Pelfrey, Lowe, K-Rod....none of those guys should have been acquired. Firing DD and hiring Avila has set this organization back even further. This is all on Mr I.

Ausmess: "Errors hurt us a little bit." Who can take this guy seriously?

Back