Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 162 - Tigers vs Twinks, Sept 28th. WIN OR ELSE.

Yeah it was a win or else play game 163 vs the royals who beat the white sox 6-4.

With the Lions, Tigers and Spartans winning this has been a decent sports weekend here in MI, except for the "Woe"verines.

I posted back in early March that the royals fans might have reason to get excited during the upcoming season and sure enough, the ALCD race went down to the fucking wire.

I had more confidence in the previous 3 seasons that those Tigers teams could win a WS championship, but maybe having had somewhat lower expectations this season just might do the trick...sure hope so.

Having a healthy Miggy, an improved Victor, and a proven playoff beast in Kinsler, I feel better about our offense this year. Our pitching is worse, though.. but we had more than enough pitching the past 3 years but couldn't hit. Maybe we have the right playoff balance this year. JD needs to get his power stroke going again, though. Baltimore has some Oakland style over-performers in their lineup this year like Pearce and Cruz, but surprisingly it's been their pitching that has gotten them here. They don't have a true ace, but Tillman, Gonzalez, and Chen are all equally solid. Cruz dominated us in the ALCS in 2011, so I definitely fear him..

I feel a little better about this team than I have in the past because there aren't any other AL teams that scare me. Miggy being relatively healthy helps, victor hitting like old miggy, and I feel good about our pitching with Sanchez in the pen possibly.

The Angels scare the hell out of me, partially because we always play like shit in anaheim. If we somehow make it to the WS, the Nats terrify me.

I just hope the offense can find away to not press and stop with all the zone expansion and out front of everything off speed when facing guys keeping the fastball away and going steady diet of off speed in the post season this year, my biggest concern is that they won't be able to do that. If they can find away to not press then I don't care who they play nobody scares me

None of the MLB network guys are picking the tigers to make it to the ws, thats good tigers need to consider themselves the under dogs

Last edited:
Just getting in back in town but kept track of the GREAT victory throughout the day. Congratulations to the Tigers and their first class Organization. Keep the momentum going!

I have no postseason expectations. So if we lose, it won't hurt like in years past (2012 sweep was killer), and if we do well, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

The Angels scare the hell out of me, partially because we always play like shit in anaheim. If we somehow make it to the WS, the Nats terrify me.

LA has been hurt with no Richards or Shoemaker, Hamilton has been knicked up. I couldn't handle the announcers talking about trout for hours on end though

Victor Martinez finished the season with

#1 OPS (0.974)
#2 On-base percentage (.409)
#2 batting averge (.335).
#2 slugging percentage (.565)
#4 in hits (188)
#9 in home runs (32)
#9 in RBI (103)
#10 in OWAR (baseball-reference.com)

Troy Tulowitzki had a batting average of .340, but did not officially finish #2 in BA due to lack of at-bats. (He played in 91 games)

J.D. Martinez finished with an impressive .315 batting average, which is .002 higher than Miguel Cabrera. J.D. had 480 plate appearances, which is a little too low to be on the list of top batting average leaders. He would have tied for #7 in batting average. J.D. had #5 in slugging percentage.

J.D. Martinez (.315 BA) (.358 OBP) (.553 SLG) (0.912 OPS) (23 HR) is very impressive considering nobody expected that he could have these top-10 style numbers.

Miguel Cabrera had the #10 best batting average (.313), #9 in OPS (0.895), #3 in hits (191), #3 in RBI (109), #5 in runs scored (101)

Ian Kinsler tied V. Martinez for rank #4 in hits (188), and was #6 in runs scored (100), and was #3 in Defensive-WAR.

David Price finished with the most strikeouts, with 271 strikeouts. Price played with Tampa Bay for over half the season though, so some of these strikeouts came -against- the Tigers. He was #10 in WHIP.

Max Scherzer finished with #8 rank in Pitcher WAR (baseball-reference.com) He tied for 4th in wins (18)

Last edited:
Back