Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers Sign Joba Chamberlain

Ugh...another head case who's going to elevate everyone's blood pressure here. I've liked the moves up until this one.

2013 statistics

45 Games
42 IP
8.14 K/9
5.57 BB/9
4.93 ERA
1.74 WHIP

Only Al Al and Marmol had higher walk rates among relief pitchers who pitched at least 40 innings last season

Did u at least look at the home road splits? We all know NY is a launching pad. No such thing as a bad 1 year deal. Maybe Joba bounces back

Joba Chamberlain Home/Away 2013 splits

Home: 21.2 IP, 9.14 K/9, 4.57 BB/9, 1.89 WHIP, 6.23 ERA
Away: 20.1 IP, 7.08 K/9, 6.64 BB/9, 1.57 WHIP, 3.54 ERA

Last edited:
He has pitched a total of 91.3 Innings over the last 3 years (average of 31 games and 30.3 IP per season). 30 innings of work for $2.5 Mil

If ever there was a injury-risk, it is Joba.

Chamberlain 3-year splits

Home: 46 IP, 8.22 K/9, 3.33 BB/9, 1.61 WHIP, 5.09 ERA
Away: 45.1 IP, 8.34 K/9, 4.37 BB/9, 1.35 WHIP, 3.18 ERA
vs L: .248 AVG, .361 OBP, .327 SLG, .687 OPS
vs R: .286 AVG, .333 OBP, .502 SLG, .836 OPS

blah, he had TJ in 2012, should be about 18 months past it in ST, had an oblique injury last year.

nothing to get excited about but I don't expect the WHIP to be 1.74

Great. Joba, Coke, AlAl, Rondon, Krol, Putknonen, Reed.

Might be a real adventure getting the ball to Nathan in the first place.

Great. Joba, Coke, AlAl, Rondon, Krol, Putknonen, Reed.

Might be a real adventure getting the ball to Nathan in the first place.

Hopefully Nathan can pitch more than one inning and hopefully Ausmus doesn't stick to the "closers only pitch the 9th" belief that many managers have.

I remember when Joba first came up, the Yanks fans were gleefully touting having their "own" version of Joel Zumaya in the BP. Well...seems like it was pretty short lived, especially after they decided to promote him to their SP roto. Like Zumaya, he had a bizarre off-field injury (Joba's trampoline vs Joel's "heavy falling box" that hampered his recovery and delayed his return.

So this was DD's "no biggie" finale to the Tigers off-season moves?

I kinda feel a "bit"underwhelmed, when compared to previous years if so, but if other also feel the same way, all we fans can do now is wait until ST to see how the newest Tigers will perform. We will also get to see the new manager Ausmus and his coaching staff, of which they might be the highlight of ST...dlol.

Hopefully Nathan can pitch more than one inning and hopefully Ausmus doesn't stick to the "closers only pitch the 9th" belief that many managers have.

At 39 and a two-year contract to boot, Nathan better be used exclusively in no more than three-out save situations.

This signing is another curious move by the Tigers....With so many question marks and second tier relievers now in place for the 6/7/8 innings, how many implosions will there be that Nathan won't get a chance to pitch in the 9th inning? Needed better quality depth for the late innings instead of what they now have.

Another thing to be sure right now is they are watching the payroll. What else would it be with these questionable moves for lesser quality players for less money.

At 39 and a two-year contract to boot, Nathan better be used exclusively in no more than three-out save situations.

Guess I'm just thinking of hypothetical situations. If (insert reliever) is struggling halfway through the 8th, I'd feel much more comfortable with Nathan coming in for a 4 or 5 out save over any other pitcher in the bullpen.

Another thing to be sure right now is they are watching the payroll. What else would it be with these questionable moves for lesser quality players for less money.

Meh:

Payroll was out of control
Nathan got fisters money
Fielder didn't deserve his money
Were overpaying kinsler
We werent paying peralta what he got

So while I agree with you...its not as bad as you made it sound. The 1 move I really have to question is why not bring benoit back for the 8th....but that could be more of a confidence move than a move basef on production....would be tough to ask a guy you made your closer to step back down....I dunno.

Meh:

Payroll was out of control
Nathan got fisters money
Fielder didn't deserve his money
Were overpaying kinsler
We werent paying peralta what he got

So while I agree with you...its not as bad as you made it sound. The 1 move I really have to question is why not bring benoit back for the 8th....but that could be more of a confidence move than a move basef on production....would be tough to ask a guy you made your closer to step back down....I dunno.

I was hoping they had re-signed Benoit to put him back in the 8th, bounce Rondon 7/8 innings.
Fister was going to make 7 M if I am correct on that. We did have the best 4 and probably best 5 man rotation with Porcello as the 5th.
Smyly will see an increase in innings and will have to be watched as he gets to 60/70 or more innings than last year. Add in Porcello iirc with the least amount of innings per 9 and the quality of the bullpen....to me, needs to be better quality relievers. Add the window of opportunity, + these just seem head scratching for 2014.

Last edited:
Back