Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Playoff positioning

michiganalex

Detroit, KC and Oakland are all basically in unless seattle gets hot and somebody falls like a sack of potatoes..

Detroit has a 1 game lead with 5 games left for both KC and Detroit. which playoff matchup with be better for Detroit for the opening of the playoffs

Division Champs and face Baltimore
Wildcard- face Oakland in the play in game and if win the Angels

Detroit, KC and Oakland are all basically in unless seattle gets hot and somebody falls like a sack of potatoes..

Detroit has a 1 game lead with 5 games left for both KC and Detroit. which playoff matchup with be better for Detroit for the opening of the playoffs

Division Champs and face Baltimore
Wildcard- face Oakland in the play in game and if win the Angels

This isn't a serious question....is it???

I can't imagine anyone wants to play the AA at this point. And always avoid a 1-game if you can win the division. Always.

If we're going this route...I think I'd rather see the Tigers tie with KC and Seattle behind Oakland, lose to KC and then beat Seattle so they can play in the wild card game.

Last 4 years

vs OAK 17-14

vs BAL 15-14

vs LAA 11-19

I would take BAL and hope the Wild Card knocks off LAA.

I am routing for DET, but my gut says it will either be LAA vs LAD for the WS, or BAL vs WSN

Since June 19th

LAA 59-28 .678 WPCT
BAL 57-29 .663 WPCT

DET 50-38 .568 WPCT
TBR 47-36 .566 WPCT
KCR 47-38 .553 WPCT
SEA 46-38 .548 WPCT

OAK 41-43 .488 WPCT

WSN 55-30 .647 WPCT
PIT 51-34 .600 WPCT

LAD 50-34 .595 WPCT
STL 49-36 .576 WPCT

Last 4 years

vs OAK 17-14

vs BAL 15-14

vs LAA 11-19

I would take BAL and hope the Wild Card knocks off LAA.

I am routing for DET, but my gut says it will either be LAA vs LAD for the WS, or BAL vs WSN

Since June 19th

LAA 59-28 .678 WPCT
BAL 57-29 .663 WPCT

DET 50-38 .568 WPCT
TBR 47-36 .566 WPCT
KCR 47-38 .553 WPCT
SEA 46-38 .548 WPCT

OAK 41-43 .488 WPCT

WSN 55-30 .647 WPCT
PIT 51-34 .600 WPCT

LAD 50-34 .595 WPCT
STL 49-36 .576 WPCT

Not trying to be a dick, but none of this matters.

At this point, it's about matchups. Not what our record is the last 4 years against a team or what those teams did against other teams this year.

Not trying to be a dick, but none of this matters.

At this point, it's about matchups. Not what our record is the last 4 years against a team or what those teams did against other teams this year.

So how would you determine which team you would want to face and why? So offer up your opinion for a change.

I was only showing how we fared in the regular season and what the records were since June 19th. I ain't a fucking idiot. In Post Season weird things happen.

In 1987, DET had the best record in baseball and MIN wins the World Series.

http://www.forbes.com/2010/10/21/ya...ports-baseball-worst-world-series-champs.html

Records don't matter. What is on paper doesn't matter. Being hot at the right time matters.

So how would you determine which team you would want to face and why? So offer up your opinion for a change.

I was only showing how we fared in the regular season and what the records were since June 19th. I ain't a fucking idiot. In Post Season weird things happen.

http://www.forbes.com/2010/10/21/ya...ports-baseball-worst-world-series-champs.html

Records don't matter. What is on paper doesn't matter. Being hot at the right time matters.

Basically, none of these teams scare me a bit. Especially LAA. Their record is misleading in that they've taken care of business vs the cellar dwellers(which I'll give them props for), but haven't really been great against good teams. Record vs the 6 teams under .500(CHI, MIN, BOS, TB, TEX and HOU) 48-17. Record vs the teams currently occupying the playoff spots(DET, BAL, KC and OAK) 18-19. Whereas our records are 32-28 vs the bottom teams and 26-13 vs the current playoff teams.

I'll be shocked if we don't make the WS.

DET vs East 17-15
DET vs Central 40-31
DET vs West 18-16

BAL vs East 45-26
BAL vs Central 16-17
BAL vs West 21-12

LAA vs East 19-14
LAA vs Central 24-9
LAA vs West 42-30

Again, I fail to see how beating up Minnesota, Cleveland and Chicago scares anyone. 17-3 record against those 3 teams.

You must be missing my point.

Again, I fail to see how beating up Minnesota, Cleveland and Chicago scares anyone. 17-3 record against those 3 teams.

You must be missing my point.

We barely beat those teams, yet LAA has no problems. BAL has a losing record against the Central, but had a good record against the West. Why?

And once again, it is going to be who is hot and who isn't. Regular season aren't going matter too much. Health and rest will come into play. I would rather play BAL (Wieters, Machado, C. Davis are out). Aside from Garrett Richards, LAA should be healthy and well rested.

I remember that 87 season. My dad took me to the final game of the 1984 WS. In 1987 he asked me if I wanted to go to an ALCS game...I told him no...let's just wait and go to the WS. That was a mistake!

As far as some reasons to want to play Baltimore and not LAA

LAA is clearly the best team.
They have the best player in the game on their team.
Pujols..history of being great in the playoffs and still has good power.
Travel...possibly having to go to the west coast twice.

I agree and add that the Angel's are stronger up the middle and have a good bullpen.

Basically, none of these teams scare me a bit. Especially LAA. Their record is misleading in that they've taken care of business vs the cellar dwellers(which I'll give them props for), but haven't really been great against good teams. Record vs the 6 teams under .500(CHI, MIN, BOS, TB, TEX and HOU) 48-17. Record vs the teams currently occupying the playoff spots(DET, BAL, KC and OAK) 18-19. Whereas our records are 32-28 vs the bottom teams and 26-13 vs the current playoff teams.

I'll be shocked if we don't make the WS.

You discredited Rebiv's in-season stats, then countered with your own. If you're arguing against regular season stats in the postseason, then you shouldn't be noting our 26-13 record against relevant teams.

You discredited Rebiv's in-season stats, then countered with your own. If you're arguing against regular season stats in the postseason, then you shouldn't be noting our 26-13 record against relevant teams.

I'm pointing out matchups. LAA isn't going to be playing Minny, Houston or either of the Sox teams in the playoffs.

How is my point missing so many?

I would like to see if there is any correlation to win % in the last week, month, etc with playoff success. We limped in 2006 and 2012 and made the WS, that's anecdotal but I don't know how much really has to do with how you're playing unless you're playing poorly due to injuries.

I would like to see if there is any correlation to win % in the last week, month, etc with playoff success. We limped in 2006 and 2012 and made the WS, that's anecdotal but I don't know how much really has to do with how you're playing unless you're playing poorly due to injuries.

Okay, then, we look forward to reading the results of your research.

Back