Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

7 Tigers Prospects will play in the AFL

Cabrera Career 3B -10.1 UZR/150

Seasons over 1,200 innings at 3B

2013 = -19.9 (injured most of the season)
2012 = -10.9 (more in line with his career average)

2007 = -5.0
2006 = -3.9

It has everything to do with range and mobility. Just because Castellanos is 22 (-19.1 UZR/150), doesn't mean he can "learn" better mobility/range. Either he has it, or he doesn't. And he will lose some of that as he ages and/or "bulks up". Hence why he will probably become a DH/1B type. Assuming he hits.

Miggy's first year at 3B he was -10. The following three seasons he played there he was +8.3, -3.9 & -5.0 then he didn't play there again until he got to the Tigers. Although the innings were limited in the first 3 seasons he did improve from his first year to his second.

As far as me comparing Miggy in 2013 vs. Nick 2014 I was just saying that they played the position equally as bad.

Last edited:
Miggy's first year at 3B he was -10. The following three seasons he played there he was +8.3, -3.9 & -5.0 then he didn't play there again until he got to the Tigers. Although the innings were limited in the first 3 seasons he did improve from his first year to his second.

As far as me comparing Miggy in 2013 vs. Nick 2014 I was just saying that they played the position equally as bad.

Tom, UZR and UZR/150 is very unstable in small sample rates.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-fangraphs-uzr-primer/

You need to read the whole Primer and key in on the "Conclusion".

UZR/150 is a good tool. But 1 year's worth of data only tells you how well he did that one year (Kinsler this year). And that data is skewed in smaller sample sizes. It really takes 3 fyears worth of data to adequately determine a player's ability. There is a natural regression in UZR as a player ages, except at 1B.

Stephen didn't show he was ready in Detroit. He's a little ways off in pitch recognition and in hitting major league style hooks.

Unless something has clicked in Arizona and again in Lakeland in February, he's still a year away.

Oh, at least. He needs better plate discipline before he should sniff the majors full time.

I honestly hope they give him another year or two before they call him up and throw him to the wolves.

Since its the Tigers, look for him to be our starting RF next year, after which he'll flame out because we brought him up too quickly.

Possibly a dumb question, but do these guys all play for a Tigers affiliate team or are they spread out across AFL-only teams? Also, how long does the season go for? Simply asking because I'm considering taking a quick vacation soon, love Arizona, and it could be an option to go watch a game or two if the timing were to work out.

Possibly a dumb question, but do these guys all play for a Tigers affiliate team or are they spread out across AFL-only teams? Also, how long does the season go for? Simply asking because I'm considering taking a quick vacation soon, love Arizona, and it could be an option to go watch a game or two if the timing were to work out.

Nevermind, I think I found my answers...

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/afl/club.jsp?team_id=454

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/winterleagues/schedule/tentative.jsp

Back