Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

'OL Paw Paw...

boogerlovejoy

Got the chance to sit down with Charlie Maxwell today....in his den.....surrounded by TONS of '50's and 60's Tigers memorabilia.

Great guy. Awesome stories. We talked for about 45 minutes before I actually turned to conversation toward business.

Sunday Charlie Maxwell.

A good friend of mine is a woman from Paw Paw. Her dad used to brag about Charlie Maxwell, "Charlie Maxwell is the greatest major league baseball player that ever came out of Paw Paw..."

Really?

Ya think?

Paw Paw being the giant megalopolis that it is, that is saying something.

She and I used to chuckle about that quite often.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Charlie_Maxwell
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/maxwech01.shtml

There was that year in May of 1959 he 4 consecutive homeruns in a doubleheader vs. the yankees from which he got that other nickname besides 'Paw Paw'.
Good lefty bat. Geez he's 87.

http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/cbec0cd7
Nice read from SABR.

He's doing well for 87. Rides his bike around Paw Paw every morning. The amount of memorabilia he has is amazing. Has a picture of himself as a rookie with Ted Williams. That was really cool.

He's doing well for 87. Rides his bike around Paw Paw every morning. The amount of memorabilia he has is amazing. Has a picture of himself as a rookie with Ted Williams. That was really cool.

Must have been a thrill to see all the memorabilia.

I forget the year, but it had to be late 50's either 58, 59 and the Tigers were playing the redsox. and I don't remember it it was at Briggs Stadium or here at fenway, but anyways Charlie is in left field and a fly ball is hit out there, the camera is on him and Charlie doesn't budge or move an inch. He stands right there and the ball comes right down to him and he catches it, and he looks over to CF where either Kuenn or Kaline was and has this grin on his face. Amazing, you never see that, fly right at, close to a outfielder, and they move a step or two, but not this time. Curt Gowdy used to do the sox games back then and even he mentioned it.

Must have been a thrill to see all the memorabilia.

I forget the year, but it had to be late 50's either 58, 59 and the Tigers were playing the redsox. and I don't remember it it was at Briggs Stadium or here at fenway, but anyways Charlie is in left field and a fly ball is hit out there, the camera is on him and Charlie doesn't budge or move an inch. He stands right there and the ball comes right down to him and he catches it, and he looks over to CF where either Kuenn or Kaline was and has this grin on his face. Amazing, you never see that, fly right at, close to a outfielder, and they move a step or two, but not this time. Curt Gowdy used to do the sox games back then and even he mentioned it.

It was really cool. Kinda like a mini HOF. Bats, gloves, balls, pictures, cards.....really cool stuff.

Back