Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Stupid Tigers Trade Porcello for Cespedes + trade Suarez for Simple Simon from reds

I was just surfing the net and thought I would look up how Porcello was doing in Boston. Looks like he is pitching like shit. 6 straight losses, 5.61 ERA. Simon and Cespedes are playing well for the Tigers. The season isn't over though

This trade is looking really good for us so far. Cespedes and Simon are both at/near all star level play and we didn't have to throw big money at Porcello to underperform. As much crap as DD gets at times, he's generally great with trades.

Wait, I thought Porcello was a stud on the rise, and Cesspool was hacker garbage, at least that's what I heard before the season started from some. No doubt the argument these clowns made will now just be chalked up to Cespedes having a 'fluke' season based on small samples, no chance he may have actually gotten better as a hitter. *rolls eyes*

I started this thread, ...
and at the time of the trade I was looking at Cespedes' low obp and seeing him in boston was wondering about how he would fit in the Tigers' clubhouse after not being so in tune in boston's, with a similar breakdown of players ethnicity.
Looking at Simon's 2014 second half implosion which for this year, the second half has not yet begun.... we will see.
Pleasantly surprised, even with Cespedes' hack attack, his defense and arm and hitting 'so far' have out weighed my fears.

I never thought Porcello would turn the corner here or anywhere else. Now half his games are in a band box.

Glad someone brought this back up. I also didn't like either move......but as of now....they are both working in Detroit's favor.

Lots of season left to go.....but I am really glad we didn't pay Porcello big $ to be a terrible #5 starter. We have one of those......his name is Verlander.

I was one of the posters that strongly opposed this trade. Boy was I wrong

I am now here to eat my crow.

To all the posters who I said the Porcello trade was a good trade please forgive me for going against you. The proof is in the pudding

Rick Porcello might be the worst pitcher in all of MLB. He was fools gold being kept at the bottom of the rotation pitching in a big park in Detroit.

Now in Boston we see the real Rick Porcello. A 20 million dollar a year bust.

Last edited:
Simon has flat out sucked during the month of June (even before yesterday). It is a long, long season. I would still take cost controlled Eugenio Suarez and Jonathan Crawford over a 1-year of Big Pasta.

Cespedes is riding high. Again, there is plenty of season left. Look at 2014 Kinsler 1st half and then ever since.

There was a thread started when Shane Greene started the season on fire and how we stole the deal from NYY. I do not judge a trade or transaction by a small sample size. It is folly to do so.

I was one of the posters that strongly opposed this trade. Boy was I wrong

I am now here to eat my crow.

To all the posters who said the Porcello trade was a good trade please forgive me for going against you. The proof is in the pudding

Rick Porcello might be the worst pitcher in all of MLB. He was fools gold being kept at the bottom of the rotation pitching in a big park in Detroit.

Now in Boston we see the real Rick Porcello. A 20 million dollar a year bust.

So much wrong in this one post.

Lets look at the Porcello/Cespedes trade.The Rick Porcello trade has produced quite a return for the Tigers.
We got Cespedes, Wilson and Speier, who has been flipped for 1/2 of Maybin.
First Cespedes performed well for Detroit and his performance got them Fulmer and Cessa. Cessa was flipped for 1/2 of Justin Wilson.

So the Porcello trade has now blossomed into Alex Wilson, Michael Fulmer, and 1/2 of both Maybin and Justin Wilson.

Lets look at the Porcello/Cespedes trade.The Rick Porcello trade has produced quite a return for the Tigers.
We got Cespedes, Wilson and Speier, who has been flipped for 1/2 of Maybin.
First Cespedes performed well for Detroit and his performance got them Fulmer and Cessa. Cessa was flipped for 1/2 of Justin Wilson.

So the Porcello trade has now blossomed into Alex Wilson, Michael Fulmer, and 1/2 of both Maybin and Justin Wilson.
Or may not turn out to anything. Maybin sucks, will have to see on the others.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last 3 years Away

Nieuwenhuis (27) 90.1 RC/650 .275 BAVG .358 OBP .422 SLG .780 OPS

S. Smith (32) 85.4 RC/650 .253 BAVG .346 OBP .423 SLG .769 OPS

Cespedes (29) 76.9 RC/650 .252 BAVG .296 OBP .449 SLG .743 OPS

Last 3 years UZR/150

Cespedes 3.5

Nieuwenhuis 1.6

S. Smith -0.5

Smith and Nieuwenhuis hit lefthanded, but do not hit lefthanded pitching overly well (like most lefthanded hitters). So, for about a quarter of the games, a guy like Rajai Davis actually becomes useful.

Comparison with Chris Young

Last 3 years Away

C. Young (32( 78.7 RC/650 .229 BAVG .309 OBP .425 SLG .734 OPS

Cespedes (29) 76.9 RC/650 .252 BAVG .296 OBP .449 SLG .743 OPS

Last 3 years UZR/150

Cespedes 3.5

C. Young 3.1

Again, for the learning impaired, Cespedes is not even an average OFer, let alone an average corner OFer. That incorporates his rookie season. There are 84 MLB outfielders with at least 400 PAs away the last 2 years (his non-rookie years).

All OFers

wRC+ = 56 of 84

wOBA = 56 of 84

OPS = 53 of 84

Just LFers (30 of them)

wRC+ = 21 of 30

wOBA = 21 of 30

OPS = 21 of 30

See, my question to all the Cespedes fans, is what attribute does he have that will help this team offensively? All I hear is how is better than what we had. What kind of argument is that? I bought a Dodge Neon because all my other cars suck. Maybe a bad analogy, but there is a trace of truth in it.

If you or anyone thinks my formulated opinion of Cespedes is wrong, fine. Prove me wrong by citing something concrete. This bullshit of just citing shit without backing data is for the birds. He is good because I say so. Or Porcello sucks because I say so.

hmmm ?? This whole banning me started because i was in favor of the Cespedes signing and almost everyone else was so against it . Funny , now everyone wanted him back but wont ever admit they were wrong .

Last edited:
Weird thing ...I go through this thread again and all a sudden i notice the post about someone fucking my wife is gone ?? Hmm , wonder if a certain mod deleted it so they wouldn't be exposed ?? I suppose i will keep your cover , since you decided to go to the lengths you did to delete it .... Just know that myself and at least 2 others here know it was you , so nice try buddy .

I encourage everyone to take the time to read through this thread , its quite comical . And im not starting shit mods , but its why i was banned cause i was "trolling " .

Least u acknowledged he was wrong , good for you . And the only reason you ask and hope i get banned is because i disagree with all of the fuck sticks on here that bitch and moan about everything BTW the whole " im reporting you , i hope you get banned !! " thing is a joke . Bunch of pussies on here , ive been called every name on the book and Mitch , who is a moderator , said to me "kaline is fucking my wife " LMAO ............... do i care ?? no cause hes an old washed up has been that gets his kicks off posting , so i dont wann deny that old bastard of this hahah

So I reread this whole thread, and must have missed this post 380 from before. Not laughing. Everyone needs to leave moms, wives, sisters, family out of their mouths and posts.

I encourage everyone to take the time to read through this thread , its quite comical . And im not starting shit mods , but its why i was banned cause i was "trolling " .

I had an similar ban. Seems it's usually the same "core" of people on the other side. Weird.

I don't agree with your assessment of KC though. He brings more than anyone to this forum. Maybe a little trigger happy with bans though lol

I had an similar ban. Seems it's usually the same "core" of people on the other side. Weird.

I don't agree with your assessment of KC though. He brings more than anyone to this forum. Maybe a little trigger happy with bans though lol

Don't think there have been many bans, 'Sonnett, LKP (both for trolling) and a 2-day ban for Tony. That was my doing. In 4 plus years I think it's pretty good.

Edit: Oh, and the bans for people who come here solely to advertise. They're usually here less that a day.

Last edited:

Gotime, thankyou for your kind words. Also, I have never personally given anyone a ban of days/weeks off and that includes you. The few times, counted on one hand I gave a poster an infraction was just that, an infraction. I never gave any days off with it. It is my way of getting a posters attention.
When you received that infraction of a couple of years ago and the other poster, any days off you might have gotten at that time or any other, were not handed out by me.
I hope that clears any misconception there might be.

lkp was given 3 weeks by me, an added week from the previous months 2 week ban he received from another mod. Only other posters banned by me personally have been those spammers that Mitch speaks of.

That wasn't an assessment of Kaline , it was of Mitch , who was the one who said it . I can see how it might of looked like i was talking about Kaline tho . I apologize to him for that misunderstanding . I admit i was harsh in this thread and a bit childish , but i wasnt the only one and if you read then you can see people attacked me because i thought cespedes was a great pickup

Its over now so im moving on from it . Good day

Chico got a permaban for trolling and really going after tonyballs family one time, though he still shows up occasionally on his alt account at the tutor.

I agree with those kinds of bans, if you're going to argue/debate with a poster occasionally you will end up calling each other idiots or something similar, but when you attack their family/wife/girlfriends that's crossing a line.

Everyone has an opinion. Some are able to support and back up with data, some just don't have the time to. Either way most posts you can gain something from.

Back