Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MLB All-Star Voting Goes Exclusively Online

I don't know how they do it, but Baltimore always has ridiculously good online voter turn out for these things. Watch them get at least one undeserving guy into the game.

They both are. But Inge made the All Star team based on women stacking the write in vote by edging out future Tiger Ian Kinsler. No way Inge ever gets to be an All Star without ballot stuffing.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ns-final-vote-earns-first-all-star-appearance

All the bloggers pushed every reader to vote while the Tigers threw in a contest for voters offering an on-field experience. They even struck a deal with the Phillies to market Inge and Victorino together. There were tales of people voting 500-600 times each, which helped in effectively crashing MLB.com.

meh...who cares...the All Star game is a joke anyway!

The all star game is a joke alright other than it determing home field is the WS. but hey let all the royals not get a break in July this year fine with me..

The all star game is a joke alright other than it determing home field is the WS. but hey let all the royals not get a break in July this year fine with me..

I think the fact that it determines home field advantage is the biggest joke of all!

I just made my 35 votes. I went with:

AL - Miggy, Kipnis, Iglesias, Donaldson, Vogt, Cruz, Trout, Jones, Cespedes

NL - Goldschmidt, LeMathieu, Peralta, Frazier, Cervelli, Stanton, Harper, Pollock

It is truly moronic that you can vote 35 times!

Agreed... and it is 35 times per email address! I'd bet most of us have at least three email addresses in somewhat regular use and probably ten plus registered to us that could be pretty easily used if needed. I personally wish they'd just do away with the game itself and name all stars at year end based on their stats. Doing so could help shorten a season that most agree is just too long. That would help push the playoffs earlier and lessen the chances of weather playing a major role. If they want to do something mid-season, have team focused events at every stadium where the fans can show up and meet the players and coaches, tour the stadium, get some free swag, etc.

I would probably vote to shorten spring training, shorten the regular season to something like 140-150 games, standardize field dimensions, go to all DH, expand instant replay, and many other things like that. I also think a couple short breaks in the schedule to divide the season into thirds or quarters might be good for player health and the quality of play. I love the history of the game, but baseball needs some tweaks to keep fans interested and engaged over the long haul. I like what they have done so far with instant replay and pushing to make games quicker. Those things have been pretty much universally accepted as positive improvements.

I doubt they will ever shorten the season. I would push for more day night double headers, expanded rosters for those events, no all star break, both leagues DH, expand instant replay. As far as all fields being the same...I would never endorse that. I think the different fields make the game more interesting.

I doubt they will ever shorten the season. I would push for more day night double headers, expanded rosters for those events, no all star break, both leagues DH, expand instant replay. As far as all fields being the same...I would never endorse that. I think the different fields make the game more interesting.

I could go for almost all of that too.

On the field size, if you are going to judge, compare, and award players by stats, they should have standardized field dimensions. The difference between parks is crazy right now. Places like Yankee Stadium, Camden Yards, Fenway, and Arlington have unreasonably short outfield sections. Other places like Comerica Park, Target Field, Minutemaid Park, PNC, etc. have ridiculously long outfield sections. Then there are things Oakland's foul territory, The Green Monster, and crazy wall section changes in a number of parks which definitely impact the game. Why not set a standard field size going forward and eventually most/all stadiums will adapt to it? To me, you can create whatever "feel" you want with everything that surrounds that playing surface. I can't think of another major sport that doesn't have a standard field size, unless you count golf or racing in the mix. Everything else that I can think of that's a team sport on a field has set dimensions.

This has a pretty interesting graphic which shows how much difference there is in baseball field dimensions... http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2014/04/28...-big-league-ballpark-in-this-cool-infographic

I could go for almost all of that too.

On the field size, if you are going to judge, compare, and award players by stats, they should have standardized field dimensions. The difference between parks is crazy right now. Places like Yankee Stadium, Camden Yards, Fenway, and Arlington have unreasonably short outfield sections. Other places like Comerica Park, Target Field, Minutemaid Park, PNC, etc. have ridiculously long outfield sections. Then there are things Oakland's foul territory, The Green Monster, and crazy wall section changes in a number of parks which definitely impact the game. Why not set a standard field size going forward and eventually most/all stadiums will adapt to it? To me, you can create whatever "feel" you want with everything that surrounds that playing surface. I can't think of another major sport that doesn't have a standard field size, unless you count golf or racing in the mix. Everything else that I can think of that's a team sport on a field has set dimensions.

This has a pretty interesting graphic which shows how much difference there is in baseball field dimensions... http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2014/04/28...-big-league-ballpark-in-this-cool-infographic

The only thing it impacts is statistics and awards which aren't important.

I know it's getting off topic even more, but I would love to see technology replace umpires. Teams can keep their wonky fields and foul areas, just give me strikes, balls, fouls, and home runs that aren't at the whim of somebody's bad eyesight or personal biases.

I know it's getting off topic even more, but I would love to see technology replace umpires. Teams can keep their wonky fields and foul areas, just give me strikes, balls, fouls, and home runs that aren't at the whim of somebody's bad eyesight or personal biases.

Can you imaging a manager arguing with a robot? Lol. Maybe robots can replace the manager..we could go all Jetson style.

Back