Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The 2015 Tigers and Major League Draft

Oh man, 1 minute. Hope we go position player, COF maybe.

Last edited:
There's like 8 fan here. No hootin' and hollering after one pick.

Why not go back to 2002? DD took over after the first 6 games in 2002 and was in charge when we drafted in 2002.
This is off the top of my head so bare with me. Your all star team off Dombrowski draft picks and international signings since 2002 would look like this.

C A. Avila
DH Curtis Granderson
1B Ryan Raburn
2B S. Sizemore
3B N. Castelanos
SS E. Suarez
LF A. Garcia
CF C. Maybin
RF M. Joyce

If you're wondering both Infante and Santiago were Randy Smith signings

Last edited:
This is off the top of my head so bare with me. Your all star team off Dombrowski draft picks and international signings since 2002 would look like this.

C A. Avila
DH Curtis Granderson
1B Ryan Raburn
2B S. Sizemore
3B N. Castelanos
SS E. Suarez
LF A. Garcia
CF C. Maybin
RF M. Joyce

That's a 120 loss team right there. Oh man is that bad..

From 2006 - 2015 D.D. Strategy has worked. Right now we r starting to feel the effects. But for a decade we have experienced the golden age of Tiger baseball. Although 2 World Series wins would have been nice.

You are arguing apples to potatoes.

Here is the list of players that have contributed at the ML level that were drafted under DD

The success rate is terrible throughout baseball but this has to be one of the worst. 40 rounds over 12 years (about 480 players drafted) and only 12 players have contributed? That is terrible!

Granderson
JV
Maybin
Joyce
Avila
Andrew Miller
Porcello
Dirks
Boesch
Castellanos
McCann
Devon Travis

Here is the list of players that have contributed at the ML level that were drafted under DD

The success rate is terrible throughout baseball but this has to be one of the worst. 40 rounds over 12 years (about 480 players drafted) and only 12 players have contributed? That is terrible!

Granderson
JV
Maybin
Joyce
Avila
Andrew Miller
Porcello
Dirks
Boesch
Castellanos
McCann
Devon Travis
What about the great Jay Sborz?

C A. Avila
DH Curtis Granderson
1B Ryan Raburn
2B S. Sizemore
3B N. Castelanos
SS E. Suarez
LF A. Garcia
CF C. Maybin
RF M. Joyce

You usually get your better players for the 1st and 2nd rounds (top 60 picks). Each draft year takes at least 3-5 years to evaluate. 5 years for HS players, 3 for college

8. S. Moore (SS, HS)
49. B. Clevlen (OF, HS)

3. K. Sleeth (P, 4-YR)
40. J. Sborz (P, HS)

2. J. Verlander (P, 4-YR)
43. E. Beattie (P, 4-YR)

10. C. Maybin (OF, HS)

6. A. Miller (P, 4-YR)
50. R. Bourquin (3B, 4-YR)

27. R. Porcello (P, HS)
60. B. Hamilton (P, HS)

21. R. Perry (P, 4-YR)

9. J. Turner (P, HS)
58. A. Oliver (P, 4-YR)

44. N. Castellanos (3B, HS)
48. C. Ruffin (P, 4-YR)

NA

NA

20. J. Crawford (P, 4-YR)
48. C. Knebel (P, 4-YR)

23. D. Hill (OF, HS)

13 of the 19 have been pitchers.

9 of 19 have been High Schoolers (high risk). 5 of the 9 have been position players, meaning they have drafted only 1 4-YR position player.

Not many of these picks were used in an effective trade. Again, it is the first 60 or so picks that generally make it. If you have multiple picks, you can reach on a High Schooler here or there.

Granderson
JV
Maybin
Joyce
Avila
Andrew Miller
Porcello
Dirks
Boesch
Castellanos
McCann
Devon Travis

(1.5 WAR or above at the MLB level)
J. Zumaya
C. Granderson
J. Verlander
C. Maybin
M. Joyce
C. Wells
B. Badenhop
A. Avila
C. Fien
R. Porcello
C. Furbush
A. Dirks
D. Smyly
D. Travis

I wanted Randolph. Reminds me of HanRam. Oh well. I guess we'll be stuck with another pitcher. Our picks suck, and this year's draft seems really light. Do we take a chance on Brady Aiken? Highly touted.. just had TJ surgery lastr year, but was taken 1st overall last year. At pick 22, I might just take him.

You usually get your better players for the 1st and 2nd rounds (top 60 picks). Each draft year takes at least 3-5 years to evaluate. 5 years for HS players, 3 for college

8. S. Moore (SS, HS)
49. B. Clevlen (OF, HS)

3. K. Sleeth (P, 4-YR)
40. J. Sborz (P, HS)

2. J. Verlander (P, 4-YR)
43. E. Beattie (P, 4-YR)

10. C. Maybin (OF, HS)

6. A. Miller (P, 4-YR)
50. R. Bourquin (3B, 4-YR)

27. R. Porcello (P, HS)
60. B. Hamilton (P, HS)

21. R. Perry (P, 4-YR)

9. J. Turner (P, HS)
58. A. Oliver (P, 4-YR)

44. N. Castellanos (3B, HS)
48. C. Ruffin (P, 4-YR)

NA

NA

20. J. Crawford (P, 4-YR)
48. C. Knebel (P, 4-YR)

23. D. Hill (OF, HS)

13 of the 19 have been pitchers.

9 of 19 have been High Schoolers (high risk). 5 of the 9 have been position players, meaning they have drafted only 1 4-YR position player.

Not many of these picks were used in an effective trade. Again, it is the first 60 or so picks that generally make it. If you have multiple picks, you can reach on a High Schooler here or there.
Now look up Boston and San Francisco over that same time span and you will see why they have 6 titles, same for the 90s yankees.

The core of your team should mostly consist of homegrown talent. Can't argue with it over the last 20 years

Now look up Boston and San Francisco over that same time span and you will see why they have 6 titles, same for the 90s yankees.

The core of your team should mostly consist of homegrown talent. Can't argue with it over the last 20 years

Well, those are also fairly large market teams. We are lucky enough to have an owner who likes to spend.. but teams like the Yanks, Boston, and SF have draft picks that actually want to stick around. Star players like the big markets. Detroit isn't all that desirable. Plus, it takes a while to build a core that way.. by the time you have all these draft picks able to compete on the big club, at least a few of them are due for free agency. If we didn't have Illitch to give Verlander $200 million, he'd have gone to Boston or LA.

SFG

25. M. Cain (P, HS)

22. D. Aardsma (P, 4-YR)
34. C. Whitaker (P, HS)
55. T. Jennings (C, 4-YR)

NA

NA

10. T. Lincecum (P, 4-YR)
33. E. Burris (SS, 4-YR)

10. M. Bumgarner (P, HS)
22. T. Alderson (P, HS)
29. W. Fairley (OF, HS)
32. N. Noonan (2B, HS)
43. J. Williams (C, 4-YR)
51. C. Culberson (2B, HS)

5. B. Posey (C, 4-YR)
37. C. Gillaspie (3B, 4-YR)

6. Z. Wheeler (P, HS)
55. T. Joseph (C, HS)

24. G. Brown (OF, 4 YR)

29. J. Panik (2B, 4-YR)
49. K. Crick (P, HS)

20. C. Stratton (P, 4-YR)

25. C. Arroyo (SS, HS)

14. T. Beede (P, 4-YR)
52. A. Garcia (C, 4-YR)

23 picks

13 Positional Players

10 Pitchers

11 High Schoolers

Well, those are also fairly large market teams. We are lucky enough to have an owner who likes to spend.. but teams like the Yanks, Boston, and SF have draft picks that actually want to stick around. Star players like the big markets. Detroit isn't all that desirable. Plus, it takes a while to build a core that way.. by the time you have all these draft picks able to compete on the big club, at least a few of them are due for free agency. If we didn't have Illitch to give Verlander $200 million, he'd have gone to Boston or LA.
I don't think any of us are arguing trading prospects. The problem is that Dombrowski is terrible at drafting, even the guys he trades are busts most of the time. But you have to be able to produce a few plus major league players that you actually keep. Thats not much to ask, that organizational depth is what puts teams over the top.

Back