Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers @ Yankees 6-21-15 Game #69

Tigers win 12-4. Not that it matters but Soria has given up a homer in 4 of his last 5 appearances.

Somebody on the Yankee broadcast team said at the top of the last inning that Victor Martinez isn't the kind of player to just "give away" an at bat...but...would any player?

Why would anybody not try to hit the ball hard in their at turn at bat, whether in the major leagues or any other level, no matter what the score was? They're only going to be at the plate for about a minute.

I'm never played to a very high level, but every time I went to bat, I wanted to hit the ball on the screws, whether my team was up by 10, down by 10, or the score was tied.

Meantime Tigers get a much needed laugher win to get back above .500.

Tigers beat the snot out of the yankees 12 - 4,

Tigers Victory Cigar!!!!! a bowl of ice-cream!!!

and a bottle of Grey Goose and a splash of diet coke for the bullpen and bullpen mis-management by assmus.

It was the first time since a Tiger hit three homers at a Yankee Stadium since 1949 when Pat Mullin did it.

STREAKS AND STATS:

The four runs allowed by Tanaka in the first inning were the most he has allowed in a single frame since April 6, 2015 against the Toronto Blue Jays.

J.D. Martinez is the first Tigers batter to hit three home runs in a game since Miguel Cabrera did so on May 19, 2013 against the Texas Rangers. The last human to accomplish the feat in a Tigers uniform was Dmitri Young on April 4, 2005.

Andrew Romine now has more career home runs at Yankee Stadium (2) than his brother Austin, who has played 76 games for the Yankees in his major league career (h/t Matthew B. Mowery).

J.D. Martinez had three homers in Sunday's 12-4 win over the Yankees -- the 23rd time a Tiger has accomplished that feat:

Ty Cobb, at St. Louis, 1925

Pinky Higgins, vs. Boston, 1940

Rudy York, vs. St. Louis, 1941

Pat Mullin, at Yankees, 1949

Al Kaline, vs. Kansas City, 1955

Charlie Maxwell, vs. Yankees, 1959

Rocky Colavito, at Washington, 1961

Rocky Colavito, at Cleveland, 1962

Steve Boros, at Cleveland, 1962

Willie Horton, vs. Milwaukee, 1970

Bill Freehan, at Boston, 1971

Larry Herndon, vs. Oakland, 1982

Bill Madlock, vs. Baltimore, 1987

Cecil Fielder, at Toronto, 1990

Cecil Fielder, at Cleveland, 1990

Cecil Fielder, at Toronto, 1996

Bobby Higginson, vs. Mets, 1997

Bobby Higginson, at Cleveland, 2000

Carlos Pena, at Cleveland, 2003

Dmitri Young, vs. Kansas City, 2005

Miguel Cabrera, vs. Oakland, 2010

Miguel Cabrera, at Texas, 2013

J.D. Martinez, at Yankees, 2015

DET averaged 5.67 Runs Per Game against NYY this series. Sample size, sample size.

Last edited:
You certainly have a compulsion to respond negatively to some things I post. Why is that?

We had a nice win today and your only comment was to point out that we blah blah blah...

Can't you ever just say "Nice win today" or something of that sort?

Just seems you like to come on the game threads AFTER the game to throw some disparaging stat out.

You're free to keep doing it obviously, but don't get pissy if someone calls it out.

Also, that was YOUR exact description of JD when we signed him. You can spare me the "I need to see 10,000 AB's before I buy it because it's not what he's done for his career up til now" retort. It was a HOME RUN SIGNING

Last edited:
We had a nice win today and your only comment was to point out that we blah blah blah...

Can't you ever just say "Nice win today" or something of that sort?

Just seems you like to come on the game threads AFTER the game to throw some disparaging stat out.

You're free to keep doing it obviously, but don't get pissy if someone calls it out.

Also, that was YOUR exact description of JD when we signed him. You can spare me the "I need to see 10,000 AB's before I buy it because it's not what he's done for his career up til now" retort. It was a HOME RUN SIGNING

You took this out of context and you know it. It was based on the need (which we still have) of having a left handed power hitter. One which would fit in the corner OF. We sign J.D. Martinez instead. Just like we traded for Cespedes this last off season. While he would be a great fit for many teams, he isn't that great of a fit for the Tigers.

And finally, who made you the board police? Just because I don't post in a manner that conforms to your wishes? Again, you seem to be fixated on me and my posting. Why don't you just worry about yourself. This would be a boring place if all anyone did was say "nice play" and "great win".

Back