Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Was our draft really that good?

Think about it, no one is gonna know anything for a couple years at minimum. Draft grades are stupid. It looks like Quinn did a great job at addressing the need in the trenches and added depth where it was needed at other positions. There did not appear to be a Calvin Johnson replacement in the draft so glad he didn't reach on a first for that. Overall, everything seemed logical and safe. I'm very impressed at this stage. Time will tell all.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Agree was a need draft. I applaud a need draft. Only problem is we had too many needs and only about half of them were filled. Not quins fault by any means.

Think Deone Buchanon from the Cardinals :)

I liked or draft n all.....but in no way am i comparing killebrew to Buchanon. I'll gladly eat crow if that ever comes to fruition. At this point I'm assuming he only sees the field due to injury.

2012 Lions got realitively positive praise for their draft. Most "graded" in the B area:
Round 1 - OT Riley Reiff
Round 2 - WR Ryan Broyles
Round 3 - CB Bill Bentley
Round 4 - DE Ronnell Lewis
Round 5 - LB Tahir Whitehead
Round 5 - CB Chris Greenwood
Round 6 - CB Jonte Green
Round 7 - LB Travis Lewis (Oklahoma)

2012: Seattle got grades between C to D

They got guys like Wilson, Sweezy, Irvin, Wagner.

Yes a bit extreme example, but it means nothing right now. We have no idea how these guys will pan out. Talking value, productivity etc is sort of silly at the time. The "value" people speak of, 90% of that value is based on using the media scouts that rank these guys. The same media people everyone claims is an idiot.

If a guy is drafted in the 3rd round, he is a 3rd round. He isn't a second rounder that fell.

I liked or draft n all.....but in no way am i comparing killebrew to Buchanon. I'll gladly eat crow if that ever comes to fruition. At this point I'm assuming he only sees the field due to injury.

Big hitting special teamer a la the Zach Attack, at least to begin with, needs a lot of development, but in Austin we trust.

I don't think we're comparing the talent of the players (Killebrew and Buchanon)......more about the position mentioned. That hybrid LB/S type player.

Obviously, it would be great if Harmons kid turned out like Buchanon!!!

Why do people, ESPN for example, keep saying the Lions drafted to protect Matt Stafford when the OT we got is about run support and lacks in pass protection? Same with out C.

Why do people, ESPN for example, keep saying the Lions drafted to protect Matt Stafford when the OT we got is about run support and lacks in pass protection? Same with out C.

Because most of them just look at the fact we drafted oline and not the players themselves. They need something to report without having to put in much effort

IMO, better run blocking and run game does help protect Matt Stafford in getting pass protection. Seems like all to often, for the majority of at least the last 2 years we were very predictable as to when we were going to run or whether we were going to pass. If we have a solid enough running game if will throw teams off balance and make them second guess what were doing. Stafford's early struggles last year are linked to how predictable our offense was

They drafted the best available LT who will most likely start from day 1 at RT which will be an improvement. The C they took may be an upgrade over Swanson. The guard they took should bolster the OL depth. I think it is a good assessment that they drafted to help protect Stafford.

Overall I love the draft. We stayed away from the "sexy" picks and built the trenches. We went to the lines early and often.

I don't think we got worse in pass protection.

That said, if we run more that does help Stafford, less in his hands the better. We saw at the end of the year last year, the less we asked him to do the better he and the Lions played.

They drafted the best available LT who will most likely start from day 1 at RT which will be an improvement. The C they took may be an upgrade over Swanson. The guard they took should bolster the OL depth. I think it is a good assessment that they drafted to help protect Stafford.

Yeah but they both don't do the pass protection thing..

Brewer, not sure how it helps the QB. And I'm not sure that's what they meant.

Everything I read says Decker should be an instant upgrade at RT...both in the run game and in pass protection.

I am looking forward to an upgrade at Center. Swanson ranked 33rd in the League. So with only 32 teams in the league our center ranked 33rd.

Still miles better than the undrafted garbage we have stuck at right tackle since forever.

Last edited:

I'm not doing the comparing. Guys like Charles Davis and Daniel Jeremiah are. Just repeating what they said. The NFL is big on these hybrid players and Killebrew gets that comparison. I don't think they're saying he's the next Deone Buchanon. Just that he's in the same mold. Big difference...

They don't pass protect?? Lmfao. Wtf are you talking about? Ya, Decker's strength is run blocking but he does pass protect. You don't become Big Ten's OLineman of the year for just run blocking...lol. And Glasgow is a solid all around Center whose strength is run blocking as well. That in turn helps Stafford immensely.

And Brewer just explained how these players help the QB. Actually, a few of us did. We all basically said the same thing....

Last edited:
They don't pass protect?? Lmfao. Wtf are you talking about? Ya, Decker's strength is run blocking but he does pass protect. You don't become Big Ten's OLineman of the year for just run blocking...lol. And Glasgow is a solid all around Center whose strength is run blocking as well. That in turn helps Stafford immensely.

And Brewer just explained how these players help the QB. Actually, a few of us did. We all basically said the same thing....

If you say so. I glad we drafted them and hope our run game is better but if Matt throws as much as last season he still gets sacked as much as last season.

Back