Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Was our draft really that good?

dtroitlionsfan951

I mean, our first three picks should be starters. And I know it's hard to get much of anything after the third round. I guess part of it is I'm being biased for our terrible free agency. Our offseason left some giant holes that we didn't try very hard to correct. Our offense is slower than slow, our back 7 on defense is slower than slow. Is building like the patriots a good thing? We don't have a Tom Brady. One of our biggest issues last year was our tackling in space on defense. We did nothing to correct that. Levy is coming back, and quandre diggs showed some potential so maybe it's there? And on offense we do not have the depth nor the talent to scare anyone right now. Marvin jones isn't anything special whatsoever. Who do we have that can make plays down the field? It looks like we are building a grind it out team which I am fine with but i think another addition at running back would have been necessary for that. Are we putting all our eggs in the basket of Ridley?

Last edited:
Build through the draft. No elite team was built in one season.

Build through the draft. No elite team was built in one season.

Yeah I know this. But focusing all on like one area seems kind of stupid as well.

I guess as of now it does look like a rebuild at least for a year. Still need, DE, S, CB, WR, RB, LB,

Last edited:
Yeah I know this. But focusing all on like one area seems kind of stupid as well.

I guess as of now it does look like a rebuild at least for a year. Still need, DE, S, CB, WR, RB, LB,

All these positions in bold are upgraded by strengthening the O line and D line. IMO

All these positions in bold are upgraded by strengthening the O line and D line. IMO

I don't see it on the back end. Ashanwn isn't bringing any pass rush.

I could see running back and that's it.

The fact of the matter is..if I look at last years team and this years. We got better on the oline. And that's it.

Last edited:
Teams are at their best when the O-Line and D-Line are dominant. I'm very happy the front office is trying to address both of those first and foremost. Can't plug every hole all at once.

Have to wait and see how it pans out of course. A lot of these guys could turn out to be busts and then we're really in a bad way. Who knows.

When you start plugging specific positions, you often end up reaching for players. I don't really fell like they reached for anyone this year.

Breaking down the draft

1. Decker - Solid pick, upgrade one of the OT spots.
2. Robinson - Great value, first rd talent in the 2nd rd
3. Glasgow - Possible replacement for our worst offensive position
4. Killebrew - My favorite pick, 4th rd guy who will compete for the starting position
5a. Dahl - Seems like good depth
5b. Williams - Versalite LB who adds depth
6a. Rudock - 3rd string QB, hopefully he doesn't play
6b. Zettel - Rotational DE, he plays hard and if he contributes...great
6c. Landes - If he unseeds Muhlbach and mans that spot = good pick
7. Washington - Flash skills but hurt and inconsistent does bode well.

I think this was a very good draft. Upgrade the O-line seemed to be the focus. I would have liked to see a CB in the mix somewhere. Also surprised we didn't make any trades.

Last edited:
I think my buckeye hatred really tainted my reaction to the Decker pick. The more I think about it, the more I like it.

I think my buckeye hatred really tainted my reaction to the Decker pick. The more I think about it, the more I like it.

I haven't witnessed a solid right tackle play for the lions since I started watching in 2004. So I definitely like it. I guess it isn't just the draft that I am judging this off of. The offseason altogether wasn't productive enough. There's a lot of ifs and maybes still on this team however. Levy, diggs, carter, and a handful of other young talent we have yet to see play. Can warford recapture himself, how much does Tomlinson improve? Lots of things could go right or wrong.

Honestly, none of us have any idea how this will pan out.

Of course we have an idea how it's going to pan out.

It's the Detroit Lions draft.

It's a virtual lock that it's going to suck.

I like the Rudock though.

If the Lions are going to make a sucky pick, might as well make a sucky pick from Michigan.

Do you guys think the Harbaugh kids grew up rooting for the Lions?

This site agrees...from KCs notes...

Analysis: Even if Decker never finds his way to the left side of the line, locking up right tackle will be a win. Better players might have been on the board, but there aren’t a ton of sure things in the bottom half of round one and they managed to grab an undervalued commodity in Robinson on the next day. Glasgow, Killebrew and Dahl were all players who may have been overdrafted a little and Williams is tough to evaluate based on his competition but will get a chance to earn a spot on special teams. Zettel was a good player for the Nittany Lions and Rudock is an interesting backup who could find himself staying in Detroit for a while. Picking a long snapper in the sixth round isn’t inspiring, but hopefully getting Washington in the seventh will add a player who contributes.

Bottom Line: Even though I like Robinson, Decker is the type of player who you can usually find in free agency. He fills a need, but doesn’t scream great draft. The rest of the class is a little forgettable and in a tough division they needed to improve more than they did.

Grade: D+

http://www.todayspigskin.com/nfl-draft/2016-nfl-draft-analysis-grades/

Complaining already. I remember when people were excited when we drafted Broyles, and Best and a bunch of other not so good picks. There is one thing I'm pretty sure of we as a whole, and I mean DSF, don't know nothing. Double negative and all.

If i redrafted with the board the way it was I'm not sure if i don't have the same rd1-3 picks. I'd be torn between lawson or decker in the first but the need to fill rt is greater.

I didn't want a dt in rd 2 but i didn't think ashawn would fall. ...that value was too good to pass up. When watching his highlights i can kinda see why he dropped though. Hrs basically just a huge space eater...dont expect him to get to the qb.

Imo rds 4 and 5 were a complete waste. I don't see killebrew playing a down and there were still needs we could have filled when we picked our 4th string guard.

I liked rds 1-3 but i shoulda stopped watching after that.

Last edited:
I do agree though. ...post draft and fa we still have alot of holes. Can't build Rome in a day i suppose....that's what happens when you follow a shitty gm like mayhew.

Starting cb, starting safety, de depth, wr depth, lb depth are all serious weaknesses. One of those years that if we're healthy we should do alright....but a couple of injuries here n there will cause a complete collapse. We will look like a jv team real quick if some of our back ups see time.

We needed an in the box safety, and we got one. Everything after Killebrew has me scratching my head.

If i redrafted with the board the way it was I'm not sure if i don't have the same rd1-3 picks. I'd be torn between lawson or decker in the first but the need to fill rt is greater.

I didn't want a dt in rd 2 but i didn't think ashawn would fall. ...that value was too good to pass up. When watching his highlights i can kinda see why he dropped though. Hrs basically just a huge space eater...dont expect him to get to the qb.

Imo rds 4 and 5 were a complete waste. I don't see killebrew playing a down and there were still needs we could have filled when we picked our 4th string guard.

I liked rds 1-3 but i shoulda stopped watching after that.

Heck, seeing how it went, I know exactly how I would re-draft Rounds 1-3.

1. Ryan Kelly
2. Cody Whitehair
3. Sheldon Day

That being said, while I'm not a fan of Decker, I didn't mind the Day 2 picks at all.

Back