Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

NBA Draft tonight

Sbee

looks like two MSU players will go early, ford has DD 10 and DV 14. A lot of predictions of DV to the Pistons but he might not be available with that pick

DV goes 14 to Chicago. Good for him, but too bad it's the Bulls.

I think Atlanta is where he ends up, Horford likely moving on.

Shocked Levert went so high. I thought he'd be like a mid 2nd rounder.

Wow. Might DD fall all the way out of the first? It's getting a little tight.

Man, DD should have stayed. Work on his game and have a chance to win a championship. Sad that the NCAA doesn't allow guys to go back like in baseball and hockey.

So it appears that Spartan23MSU and I weren't the only ones who disagreed with his draft grade. The jury is still out, but it's looking more and more like he left at least a year too soon.

Good for Valentine - didn't think he would go that high and don't have high expectations for him, but I also didn't have very high expectations for Draymond either.

Reading this forum I see a lot of people saying the NBA drafts on potential - I don't really follow NBA basketball so maybe it's true but it seems odd to me, at least in the first round and certainly in the lottery. What early draft picks were really "projects" that were successful? It seems to me, with those picks it's either boom or bust. It's probably fair to say Green was drafted on potential, but he was taken 35th and at 31, Davis makes more sense as a "project" than in the top 15.

Last edited:
So it appears that Spartan23MSU and I weren't the only ones who disagreed with his draft grade. The jury is still out, but it's looking more and more like he left at least a year too soon.

Good for Valentine - didn't think he would go that high and don't have high expectations for him, but I also didn't have very high expectations for Draymond either.

I think Valentine will play a lot of minutes as a rookie. I think he may end up running point with butler as the 2. Although on defense he would be a huge liability.

His drop is fairly difficult to pinpoint why. He got a lot of inaccurate feedback from people prior to the draft it would seem. A lot of foreign guys ended up going in front of him that maybe weren't looked at as closely back a few months ago, and young players need to take that into account when they're trying to figure out whether they'll be a first rounder.

Now he'll have to go out and earn his payday the hard way.

Supposedly he fell because he was awful in interviews, he's always been painfully quiet, Izzo has said as much. He rarely speaks in post game interviews, it's like pulling teeth. He showed zero emotion on the court all year, i think once he got T'd up after a celebration in the preseason and Izzo was happy but after that he really didn't show any at all. He's a super quiet kid and didn't do well in those situations

It seems unlikely that being quiet in interviews would take him from a possible lottery pick to the second round. Enthusiasm on the floor, particularly if it was part of his game before whistles and not just after, could definitely be a part of it. Now, if he came off as an idiot or was a brash loud mouth in interviews signally that he may be a problem in the locker room and time outs, maybe. I think it's more likely that his grade was too high and as MSUMatt said, he may not have been scrutinized relative to some overlooked players from overseas - again, I don't follow the NBA that closely but it seems like a lot more foreign players were taken (particularly early picks) than usual this year.

This was thought to be a weak draft class, which I think was also the impetus for some kids jumping in when other years it might be more of a question vs trying to go against what's supposed to be a much better class next year. And probably that's where more of the foreign players come into play. I'm not sure all of them are even sure to be playing in the US next year. So if teams don't like anyone in those spots they can just draft a foreign kid and put him on the shelf for a couple of years vs paying any first round money out to a questionable prospect. So maybe that happened more this year because it was considered a weak draft.

Its a shame we didnt get to see the guy play 30 minutes. It really is frustrating when guys dont stay at least 2 years. Next year hes a top 10 and a little bit more $.

Its a shame we didnt get to see the guy play 30 minutes. It really is frustrating when guys dont stay at least 2 years. Next year hes a top 10 and a little bit more $.

I'd like to know why Izzo didn't play him 30 minutes a game last year. Maybe we wouldn't have gotten bounced so early.

That's the thing about losing guys early. You at least want to have gotten significant contributions out of them before they move on. Gary Harris averaging 13 and 17 before heading to the NBA qualifies. Davis giving us 7.5 and 5 in under 20 mpg does not. And yes how many minutes he SHOULD have played is a separate conversation.

Back