Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Northwestern anti-union talking points.

Gulo Blue

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...rthwesterns-anti-union-dialogue-with-players-

CBS has a document describing a Q&A session they held with players regarding their new classification as employees and the vote for forming a union. Players are being warned they will be stuck with unionization for at least a year. CBS doesn't provide the actual document, but apparently, at least 1 player sounds persuaded.
"This is not what we wanted," a player says, according to the document. "How can we get back to being students and not employees? Specifically student athlete status and not employees."

Proposed changes for the main 5 conferences

These are just a list of things they are talking about

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...2/ncaa-changes-union-lawsuits-obannon-kessler

- they'd get their own rules, separate from the rest of Div 1
- full-cost of attendance scholarships
- 4-year scholarships
- educational trust for scholarships after eligibility expires
- reworking the countable hours rules so it isn't all BS
- long-term medical care
- change what agent contact is allowed
- allow loans for loss-of-value insurance
- allow making money in non-athletic endeavors (we'll all start buying horrible music albums)
- better appeals processes
- changes to transfer rules

Proposed changes for the main 5 conferences

These are just a list of things they are talking about

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...2/ncaa-changes-union-lawsuits-obannon-kessler

- they'd get their own rules, separate from the rest of Div 1
- full-cost of attendance scholarships
- 4-year scholarships
- educational trust for scholarships after eligibility expires
- reworking the countable hours rules so it isn't all BS
- long-term medical care
- change what agent contact is allowed
- allow loans for loss-of-value insurance
- allow making money in non-athletic endeavors (we'll all start buying horrible music albums)
- better appeals processes
- changes to transfer rules

it is kinda funny trying to reconcile all those concessions with the blather coming from the anti-union/anti-player people about how things are fine as is, and the players should shut up and enjoy their cushy lifestyles.

presumably since this is just their first counter offer, there's a lot more than can give as well, without "ruining the game" or going completely bankrupt.

I would be interested to hear what actual student athletes have to say about this. Do the majority of them feel that they are being taken advantage of? My guess is it will only be a portion of the football players and men's B-ball players that feel this way. The rest will likely think they are well compensated and appreciate what they get in return for their services.

I would be interested to hear what actual student athletes have to say about this. Do the majority of them feel that they are being taken advantage of? My guess is it will only be a portion of the football players and men's B-ball players that feel this way. The rest will likely think they are well compensated and appreciate what they get in return for their services.

come right out and say it, racist.

come right out and say it, racist.

The portion that I am talking about are the kids that think they have a chance to be a professional. If you are an athlete at UM getting a full ride and you don't think you have a chance to be a pro...you are going to appreciate the opportunity you are getting. There are about 700 student athletes at UM. If you took a poll, my guess over 75% of them would think they are getting a great deal. Almost all of the women and probably more than 1/2 of the men.

The portion that I am talking about are the kids that think they have a chance to be a professional. If you are an athlete at UM getting a full ride and you don't think you have a chance to be a pro...you are going to appreciate the opportunity you are getting. There are about 700 student athletes at UM. If you took a poll, my guess over 75% of them would think they are getting a great deal. Almost all of the women and probably more than 1/2 of the men.

go out and poll them, then get back to us.

or just keep asserting things you pull out of your ass.

I think amateurism is inherently a sham, so really I don't care what the student athletes think right now. If 75% of them really think they are already getting a good deal, so be it. But 100% of them would still be happy with something better. I mean really, it's not like the non-pros are going to be losing anything with unionization/employment. Colleges still need to fill the rosters and they are still going to be giving out free scholarships.

The real problem here is that the people being taken advantage of are generally too young and uninformed to really understand the issues. How many kids even out of college really understand the value of benefits packages and contract negotiation? But we expect 18 year old kids, many of whom barely scrape into college in the first place, to be able to make sound decisions about the future of a multi-billion dollar enterprise?

Tear down the NCAA, end the pretense of amateurism, and let it go.

Back