Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

LOL @ Brendan Gibbons

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were reports on it back when it happened, but it seems Douglas Smith has just decided to start an internet crusade now. If this topic is so important to him, he should have done this from the get go and not four years later. The timing of his offers up speculation to ulterior motives.

He brought it up to the Board at least 3 times in 2011 and 2012.

He brought it up to the Board at least 3 times in 2011 and 2012.

Oh I know that and I know he tried to get the board to take action back then. However, I have seen people commenting on how he is posting all over the internet about it as of yesterday.

I'm not saying he has any ulterior motives. Just that the timing can lead to that kind of speculation.

Last edited:
Oh I know that and I know he tried to get the board to take action back then. However, I have seen people commenting on how he is posting all over the internet about it as of yesterday.

Oh. I didn't realize that. I know someone posted to it mgoblog, but I thought that guy had a history of sympathizing with Urban.

Oh. I didn't realize that. I know someone posted to it mgoblog, but I thought that guy had a history of sympathizing with Urban.

The guy who posted it on mgoblog is an all out Buckeye troll, but apparently Douglas Smith has been popping up on quite a few sites with this story now. I'm just going by other people's reports with that so maybe they are over exaggerating.

It's a sad story and one where we have no right to point fingers at any of the parties because we have no proof of anything. It does look bad, but Gibbons says it was consensual. Are we just going to label him a liar because of the accusations? Are we going to label the girl a liar because Gibbons says it was consensual? The answer to both has to be no.

Last edited:
I recall a buckeye reg on the ESPNsucks board claiming he KNEW of Michigan players taking money ...and said as much right after the Tatt-5 scandal was breaking. So pathetic how some of these adults involve themselves in the underbelly of college athletics politics.

The guy who posted it on mgoblog is an all out Buckeye troll, but apparently Douglas Smith has been popping up on quite a few sites with this story now. I'm just going by other people's reports with that so maybe they are over exaggerating.

It's a sad story and one where we have no right to point fingers at any of the parties because we have no proof of anything. It does look bad, but Gibbons says it was consensual. Are we just going to label him a liar because of the accusations? Are we going to label the girl a liar because Gibbons says it was consensual? The answer to both has to be no.

I agree. It looks bad, but a court of public opinion witch-hunt is also wrong. Putting pressure on the admin without revealing identifying details would be the right way to go after this, but that horse is already out of the barn.

I agree. It looks bad, but a court of public opinion witch-hunt is also wrong. Putting pressure on the admin without revealing identifying details would be the right way to go after this, but that horse is already out of the barn.

It doesn't seem like there are too many details they are missing, aside from the girl's name. I'm guessing the Admin is all too aware of the situation, but feels they made their decision and aren't going to revisit it again, especially 3 years later.

it sounds like Smith is not letting this go lightly, I think he wants this story to get more attention and possibly go national. The university should investigate this incident and re-evaluate their processes for reporting of rape cases if they haven't already.

also, as a societal issue, the culture of blaming the victim or intimidation needs to stop.

it sounds like Smith is not letting this go lightly, I think he wants this story to get more attention and possibly go national. The university should investigate this incident and re-evaluate their processes for reporting of rape cases if they haven't already.

also, as a societal issue, the culture of blaming the victim or intimidation needs to stop.

Blaming victims absolutely needs to stop. Sometimes the victim isn't the one making the assault accusations. You have to see it from both sides because false accusations do occur.

Honestly, I don't know what the university could do at this point. There is nothing new for them to investigate.

It doesn't seem like there are too many details they are missing, aside from the girl's name. I'm guessing the Admin is all too aware of the situation, but feels they made their decision and aren't going to revisit it again, especially 3 years later.

I don't expect this case to be revisited, but this case could be used to raise awareness and push to re-evaluate Michigan's policies.

Agreed. and to the woman who accused Parrish Cox and Demariyus Thomas of sexual assault ...to have a jury dismiss the charges in criminal court ...to then file a "Jane Doe" civil suit ...to have it "settle out of court" and to have a total of $1M cash paid to her by all parties involved to make it "go away" .... that shit needs to stop too.

It's happening at the Pro level and the college level.

Last edited:
Blaming victims absolutely needs to stop. Sometimes the victim isn't the one making the assault accusations. You have to see it from both sides because false accusations do occur.

Honestly, I don't know what the university could do at this point. There is nothing new for them to investigate.

I don't think he should (assuming it is him posting) be pushing this again; doesn't seem the victim herself is interested in pursuing it. I think he made his point, and I'd like to think the administration got the message. now, if the University neglects a similar situation in the future, then it's a different story.

I call bullshit, too. Michigan would have no problem kicking a freshman kicker that sucked at the time off the team.

I'm going to say this is a case where a couple college co-eds had sex, which any sex can cause vaginal tearing, like maybe if they r drunk. The girl woke up feeling used and decided to cry 'rape,' but not very loudly. Then a few days later dropped it.

In this country, we go by a simple adage, "innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law,' which is considerably more than has been presented here by his 2 accusers.

"well, something happened. I don't know what, but something!"

what does him being a freshman kicker that sucked have to do with it? is the situation different for an all American? please explain

and what if this were a Spartan kicker ...? or a kicker from USC, with some UCLA guy with a hard-on for making the story national because he wants it to reflect poorly on USC..??

not a single poster has a clue what actually happened and never does when these "topics" become threads and everybody casts judgment.

I'm not saying he has any ulterior motives. Just that the timing can lead to that kind of speculation.

The reason that I did not make any comments before the November 2011 Board of Regents meeting was because I had just heard about the case at that time. In 2011, there was a basketball player who was accused of rape and was being investigated by the AA police. The basketball player case was less clear, in my opinion. Someone told me at that time, about the Gibbons case. I FOIA'ed the police reports on both cases.

This fall the University of Michigan will roll out their new sexual assault policies and require every student to complete training in the new policy. Thus, I think it is timely to look at how they have still not addressed this case, even though both players are still representing the University on the football field.

Last edited:
I don't care about the fallout, were I the president of a university, I'd ban co-ed on-campus dorm living. Period. I'd also re-institute visiting hours for non-residents.

and what if this were a Spartan kicker ...? or a kicker from USC, with some UCLA guy with a hard-on for making the story national because he wants it to reflect poorly on USC..??

not a single poster has a clue what actually happened and never does when these "topics" become threads and everybody casts judgment.

the sentence was that Michigan would have no problem kicking a freshman kicker who sucked off the team, would they have a problem kicking an all American off the team? how would it be different?

what does him being a freshman kicker that sucked have to do with it? is the situation different for an all American? please explain

Part of this issue is about the possibility that this was swept under the rug because he was a football player. The fact that he wasn't a big contributor to the team does undermine that theory (only some). Whether or not he's on the football team at all shouldn't impact how he's treated, but if he wasn't a football player, then there'd be no accusation of a football-related cover-up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back