Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Red Wings 4 Hurricanes 3 FInal

I am pumped to go to this game after tonight's game. I hope they didn't use all there goals up.

Mrazek gives up 3 goals and still realistically steals the game for us. I have to presume the team was fighting through excess fatigue from the back to back games and super late flight. But defensively we looked like a wreck.

The team stayed hot offensively to pull out the win.

Go wings!@!!! Need to work on that defense still!!!!

I thought the defense played alright. Ericsson also made some key plays to keep the lead. I think the main problem until the 3rd period was the offense seemed slow to start the rush out of the zone. Plus the first 2 goals were lucky bounces and the last one game with 2 seconds left.

I thought the defense played alright. Ericsson also made some key plays to keep the lead. I think the main problem until the 3rd period was the offense seemed slow to start the rush out of the zone. Plus the first 2 goals were lucky bounces and the last one game with 2 seconds left.

For me the defense isn't just the goals, it's the way they gave up continuous pressure on Mrazek and failed to get the puck out of our own zone. Penalties were certainly a problem early, but you don't give up nearly 50 shots because lucky bounces. If anything, we were lucky the bounces were so few. Mrazek really stood on his head in the first period and snuffed out a lot of great chances by the Hurricanes.

Well the pressure on the goalie isn't always on the defense. The offense couldn't even get it up the ice. They had 2 shots in the first period.

Well the pressure on the goalie isn't always on the defense. The offense couldn't even get it up the ice. They had 2 shots in the first period.

Defense isn't just played by defensemen. Goals aren't only created by forwards. When I say that the defense was poor, it's on the whole team. Failure to get out of our own zone is a defensive issue because it means we can't gain or keep possession. The first period had a number of penalties, but the entire game looked like a shooting gallery. Our forwards weren't getting into passing lanes or disrupting shots from the point well. Our defenders weren't able to get the puck off rebounds or deflections, and didn't put pressure on skaters who were able to wind up for second and third shots much of the time.

It's all a numbers game. The only real thing a defense can do to help it's goalie is limit shot attempts. Mrazek played his ass off, but we really can't expect him to stop 44 shots every night.

Back