Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

US Open

dubbsco

Donald Young took out Simon in 5. Good for him, I really want to see SOMEONE grab USA tennis and push it forward.

It irritates me to hear sports journalist saying that Serena Williams is pursuing the "calendar" Grand slam or the "season" grand slam.

It's the grand slam. There is no qualifier to the real grand slam.

At first I thought the US Open was in June. Wrong sport.

At first I thought the US Open was in June. Wrong sport.

Jordan Speith won the U.S. Open of golf in June.

He had earlier won the Masters in April.

He was competitive to the very end in the Open Championship (we call it the British Open) at Royal St. Andrews (I think) in Scotland and on the shore of Lake Michigan in Wisconsin between Milwaukee and Green Bay in the PGA Championship, but came up just a little short in
both.

A remarkable year for a likely new superstar.

Donald Young took out Simon in 5. Good for him, I really want to see SOMEONE grab USA tennis and push it forward.

It's not going to be Donald Young, that's for sure. He was earmarked for greatness 10 years ago but never developed. In the tennis world, Donald is no longer "young" and he's never been more than a journeyman. US Men's tennis has probably never been in a sadder state than it is today.

I know it's not going to be DY. At least there are some young guys that appear to be pushing a little bit. Sock is ranked as high as he's ever been, some very talented amateurs that are finally playing in the big tournament.

Jordan Speith won the U.S. Open of golf in June.

He had earlier won the Masters in April.

He was competitive to the very end in the Open Championship (we call it the British Open) at Royal St. Andrews (I think) in Scotland and on the shore of Lake Michigan in Wisconsin between Milwaukee and Green Bay in the PGA Championship, but came up just a little short in
both.

A remarkable year for a likely new superstar.

Yes, thank you. I went from liking him to can't stand him. 2 majors, many near misses and he walks around like a grump. I like to root for players who have a pleasant demeanor.. Like Phil, Matt Kuchar, the Big Easy, and other's of course..

And of course USA's 2nd best player collapses from heat exhaustion after leading two sets to one. All we really have left is Isner.

Last edited:
Correction, DY has never had a 5 set comeback before in a major, and now he's had two in the US Open. Playing against Stan tomorrow afternoon. Isner has Federer.

Three commercials immediately following the conclusion of the Womens' US Open final feature Serena Williams.

Yikes!

Back