Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU @ Western

Bad effort in the second half. We really miss Narduzzi. A lot to clean up,I think Dantonio gets more involved with the D.

A lot of individual bright spots, but bad effort.

A lot of work to do.

If youre going to have a team that gives up points easily you have to be EXTREMELY AGGRESSIVE on offense against good teams to counteract a putrid defense (thats what it was). That means putting the ball over 20 yards in the air 3-4 times per game (yawn, that wont happen all year unless we get down early and try to crawl back in the last quarter when its too fucking late.) . Our running game isnt that strong yet, why are we not testing another team on a 40 yard fly pattern????????????? Ohhh how I love complaining about this EVERY year.

This looked like a 7-5, 8-4 team tonight. I hate to be a Negative Nelly but that was fucking weak.The biggest problem I saw was POOR TACKLING, I didnt hear that brought up all night but the basic wrap and bring down was 0 tonight. VERY POOR TACKLING tonight, this team appeared undisciplined and mediocore. Other teams need to focus on taking Connor Cook out, without him we are a .500 team or slightly better from tonights "effort". We are 1 player from disaster, OSU is going to roll people even with significant injuries.

Last edited:
I liked the first half, not the second half. WMU has some decent skill players and Davis looks like he could play on Sundays. Copeland and Cox looked good, the other corners did not, plenty to work on there. I liked what I saw from Scott, London, and Holmes, all did some good things. Pass rush and line play was good too, a couple dumb penalties too, that PF on Nicholson hurt us a lot. Cook wasn't as accurate as I'd hope, not his sharpest game.

All in all I'm not taking too much from this game but I'm happy we had a decent test that showed some things we need to work on. This game was better for us vs playing a FCS team and winning 70-3.

If youre going to have a team that gives up points easily you have to be EXTREMELY AGGRESSIVE on offense against good teams to counteract a putrid defense (thats what it was). That means putting the ball over 20 yards in the air 3-4 times per game (yawn, that wont happen all year unless we get down early and try to crawl back in the last quarter when its too fucking late.) . Our running game isnt that strong yet, why are we not testing another team on a 40 yard fly pattern????????????? Ohhh how I love complaining about this EVERY year.

This looked like a 7-5, 8-4 team tonight. I hate to be a Negative Nelly but that was fucking weak.The biggest problem I saw was POOR TACKLING, I didnt hear that brought up all night but the basic wrap and bring down was 0 tonight. VERY POOR TACKLING tonight, this team appeared undisciplined and mediocore. Other teams need to focus on taking Connor Cook out, without him we are a .500 team or slightly better from tonights "effort". We are 1 player from disaster, OSU is going to roll people even with significant injuries.

I think the death sentence for this team is a little premature. I wonder what you thought after the last time we played WMU? that was 26-13 in EL, that was an OK season

I think the death sentence for this team is a little premature. I wonder what you thought after the last time we played WMU? that was 26-13 in EL, that was an OK season

Im an armchair hack, I hope we play better in the next few games but I saw some real holes in the #5 ranking. This showing was less than impressive. If youre not a bit concerned youve got a stronger stomach than me. youre also very optimistic and im not. I wish I was on the good side but our defense looked John L Smith bad in the back field. Western has a good team and they played well, hats off to them for their effort.

Last edited:
I think it's clear that once MSU went up 34-10 they lost focus and thought the game was in the bag. I'm not worried one bit. I actually think the running game was great but we kept trying to throw when it was really not necessary. Three really good backs, London had 3 touchdowns (1 was called back). His burst is incredible and LJ Scott will be fun to watch for the next three seasons.

Last edited:
There were a lot of positives and some negatives. LBs played bad and out backup DBs were terrible. Cook had a poor day accuracy wise and he made the wrong read in the read option several times. Copeland looks like the next great CB here, the D Line is fantastic, including the backup DEs, Sweat and Cooper. The RBs all looked great. TEs looked great.

We really missed Davis at LB, and Barnett had a bad game calling defensive plays. Cox was so so.

There's a lot to clean up or we won't beat Oregon. The WMU line was 17.5 for a reason, they had a top 5 passing attack returning. Davis is a future NFL receiver and that QB made several clutch throws while getting hit. After it was 34-10 I think we lost focus.

We'll find out where we are next week. 11-1 is the high end now, I could see 8-4 if we don't improve in several ways.

There were a lot of positives and some negatives. LBs played bad and out backup DBs were terrible. Cook had a poor day accuracy wise and he made the wrong read in the read option several times. Copeland looks like the next great CB here, the D Line is fantastic, including the backup DEs, Sweat and Cooper. The RBs all looked great. TEs looked great.

We really missed Davis at LB, and Barnett had a bad game calling defensive plays. Cox was so so.

There's a lot to clean up or we won't beat Oregon. The WMU line was 17.5 for a reason, they had a top 5 passing attack returning. Davis is a future NFL receiver and that QB made several clutch throws while getting hit. After it was 34-10 I think we lost focus.

We'll find out where we are next week. 11-1 is the high end now, I could see 8-4 if we don't improve in several ways.

Solid analysis. I thought Copeland was our bright spot as well. I like London, I hope he gets nicknamed "mother" or "mother london". I hate to act like im raging but I saw this team as very vulnerable for protecting a deep pass. Western has a good team, we didnt look that impressive , nor did TCU so ill try to find somethig to hang my hat on.

Last edited:
Jake Hartbarger was also excellent averaging 47.2 yards a punt and pinning them inside the 10 once and inside the 20 another time.

Was 4 rows up (that's not bragging.....its WMU).....and had a really good view of the game. Here are my thoughts......not that it matters.

1. Interior O-line was pathetic. WMU got a lot of push up the middle. That's not a good thing. They don't a good Dline. That needs to be fixed fast, as we wont be able to consistently run outside against upper tier opponents.

2. Cook was not good last night. No idea why. Missed a number of reads....open reads.....some of them WIDE OPEN. For those who didn't see it live....he missed 3 different reads where players came wide open over the middle and could have LITERALLY walked in for TD's. Even on a few throws he did complete....he threw behind guys and kept them from making plays. The big play to Burbridge was a terrible throw....even though it was complete.

3. MSU might have been playing vanilla defense because of the opponent and the score at the time......but I was calling out the defense before the snap. No joke. You could plainly see when there were going straight man to man and when they were going zone. No difficult looks. Little movement. EXTREMELY vanilla. Do that against Oregon or OSU and they would hang 70 on us.

4. Kick coverage was a joke. The worst I've ever seen. No only did WMU break the two they did......they were one tackle away from breaking two more.

5. WR got little separation all day. It was so bad, by the 2nd half WMU was going single high safety and leaving their CB's on an island......and not once did we make them pay. We have a Heisman candidate, possible 1st overall pick at QB and we weren't good enough to make WMU get out of straight man coverage. Not good.

Positives.

We ran well on the edges. Had a really well designed counter that we took to the house called back and a couple other runs that were very close to doing the same.

Bullough is a beast. All over the field. Big and fast. Reminds me of AJ Hawk when he was at OSU.

Consistently got pressure without blitzing much, though Calhoun was invisible most of the game.

Josiah Price had a good game. He was open multiple times and never got the ball.....but took advantage when he did. He could have had a 150 yard, 2 TD day if Cook had found him a couple of those times.

That's about it. Overall....a C- game. WMU is not a pansy and made some plays. However, if we play like this the rest of the season.....8-4 is a real possibility. Dantonio's teams typically improve throughout the season......lets hope this team makes the same jump that the 2013 team did.

Was 4 rows up (that's not bragging.....its WMU).....and had a really good view of the game. Here are my thoughts......not that it matters.

1. Interior O-line was pathetic. WMU got a lot of push up the middle. That's not a good thing. They don't a good Dline. That needs to be fixed fast, as we wont be able to consistently run outside against upper tier opponents.

2. Cook was not good last night. No idea why. Missed a number of reads....open reads.....some of them WIDE OPEN. For those who didn't see it live....he missed 3 different reads where players came wide open over the middle and could have LITERALLY walked in for TD's. Even on a few throws he did complete....he threw behind guys and kept them from making plays. The big play to Burbridge was a terrible throw....even though it was complete.

3. MSU might have been playing vanilla defense because of the opponent and the score at the time......but I was calling out the defense before the snap. No joke. You could plainly see when there were going straight man to man and when they were going zone. No difficult looks. Little movement. EXTREMELY vanilla. Do that against Oregon or OSU and they would hang 70 on us.

4. Kick coverage was a joke. The worst I've ever seen. No only did WMU break the two they did......they were one tackle away from breaking two more.

5. WR got little separation all day. It was so bad, by the 2nd half WMU was going single high safety and leaving their CB's on an island......and not once did we make them pay. We have a Heisman candidate, possible 1st overall pick at QB and we weren't good enough to make WMU get out of straight man coverage. Not good.

Positives.

We ran well on the edges. Had a really well designed counter that we took to the house called back and a couple other runs that were very close to doing the same.

Bullough is a beast. All over the field. Big and fast. Reminds me of AJ Hawk when he was at OSU.

Consistently got pressure without blitzing much, though Calhoun was invisible most of the game.

Josiah Price had a good game. He was open multiple times and never got the ball.....but took advantage when he did. He could have had a 150 yard, 2 TD day if Cook had found him a couple of those times.

That's about it. Overall....a C- game. WMU is not a pansy and made some plays. However, if we play like this the rest of the season.....8-4 is a real possibility. Dantonio's teams typically improve throughout the season......lets hope this team makes the same jump that the 2013 team did.
I forgot to mention Bullough (glad you brought that up), he is stepping up just the way id hoped he would, Great game from him last night. Cook can thread needle or miss a guy by 20 yards by overthrowing, hes a dependable loose cannon if there is such a thing. Where was Calhoun? didnt hear his name all night?? Against Western??? The special teams plays may have been a fluke but thats disturbing, 170 yards of returns on 2 plays. We need a lot of improvement, yesterday was pretty filthy...

Last edited:
Had a feeling we wouldn't cover, I was very unimpressed with Cook and our secondary. I was confident we would beat Oregon next week but I am a little more skeptical after this performance. Granted I like a test by a good MAC school but this was concerning.

I think State will be fine. I agree with the majority of the board in that MSU seemed to lose a little focus after going up 34-10. However, after WMU pulled within 10, Dantonio called out the secondary, and they played better from then on (albeit less than 1 quarter).

MSU has been CB U since Dantonio took over - they have some inexperienced guys in key spots this year. I have to imagine it will only get better going forward.

also - yes, Davis is a freaking beast. Reminds me of a more athletic Greg Jennings

Most important thing from that western game is that no one got injured. I'm very confident going into the Oregon game. Revenge is a sweet thing and I'm sure that game has been on every players mind for a long time.

Most important thing from that western game is that no one got injured. I'm very confident going into the Oregon game. Revenge is a sweet thing and I'm sure that game has been on every players mind for a long time.
I expect oregon to win 60-3 and learn nothing about where they need to improve today

Eastern Washington put up 21 already in the 1st half against oregon

Eastern Washington has 550 yards and 42 points.

The Oregon QB, Adams, just suffered what looked like a severe concussion. Completely KOed and has to be helped from the field. Wobbly as heck. A brutal and dirty hit.

Last edited:
Eastern Washington has 550 yards and 42 points.

The Oregon QB, Adams, just suffered what looked like a severe concussion. Completely KOed and has to be helped from the field. Wobbly as heck. A brutal and dirty hit.

By Adams former team!

Back