Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 138 Tigers vs. Royals Sept 5, 2017

Now that Upton is gone does the POY for the Tigers go to Mahtook? Such a big surprise. I remember when I railed on him after he was signed.

Another Dinger for Jones.. Tomorrow night 1-0.

Hicks too, didn't see that one.

Last edited:
Another guy I never heard of, Alc?ntara. Where'd we get him from?

Nice win tonight. Can't find it in me to watch JV tonight.. Hope he does well but can't watch him.

Mariners' Miranda pitching a no hitter through 4 vs JV & the Astros, but sacfly w/bases loaded on walks: 1-1...Verlander 1 run (HR) 4 hits 5 Ks 1 BB, but high PC of 77 with 4 IP, Now top 5th.

Last edited:
Verly experiencing an all too familiar problem that he had with the Tigers...no or little run support by the hitless through 5 Stros. Now 90 pitches through 5 IP.

Last edited:
Still no hits by the Stros through 6, This may be JV's last inning....ND or...?

JV gets out of a 2 hits RISP jam with no outs in the bottom 6th, @103 pitches.

M's take Miranda out with a no hitter in the 7th..WTF?

Pazos pitches to 2 batters, 1 out, 1 BB, then pulled for Pagan...who gives up a homer to Maybin...first hit for Stros, and its a big one. 3-1. Verlander also replaced by Musgrove in the bottom of the 7th.

Last edited:
The Detroit Tigers took their first lead in almost a week in the second inning Tuesday night. Then they made sure they wouldn't lose it.

The Tigers hit six home runs to hammer the Kansas City Royals 13-2 at Comerica Park.

The Tigers scored seven runs in the bottom of the second inning as they chased Royals left-hander Jason Vargas early. The second inning began when James McCann was hit by a pitch and it only mushroomed on Vargas from there.

In the second inning, the Tigers claimed their first lead since Justin Verlander and Justin Upton were traded six games and 46 innings ago.

After McCann was hit, John Hicks walked and rookie Jeimer Candelario hit a two-run double. After Alex Presley hit an RBI single, JaCoby Jones hit a two-run home run. After Ian Kinsler singled, Mikie Mahtook hit another two-run home run.

In the fourth, Hicks hit his fifth home run of the season. In the fifth, Jose Iglesias hit his sixth home run of the season. In the seventh, Jones homered for his first career multi-home run games. And in the eighth, Hicks did the same for his first career multi-home run game.

Tigers center fielder JaCoby Jones and first baseman John Hicks each had two home runs, the first multi-homer games of their careers. For Jones, it was the first home run since he hit a three-run shot against Jose Quintana on Opening Day in Chicago.

Tigers starter Anibal Sanchez left only five pitches into the game after getting hit by a come-backer and suffering a right calf contusion. Six Tigers relievers combined to allow only one run over nine innings.
After the game, Sanchez said he got lucky: He was hit in the right spot, though it was still uneasy to walk.
“I can’t push anything hard right now so let’s see how it is tomorrow,” he said.

Right-hander Myles Jaye, who threw 47 pitches on Saturday, was hurried into the game. Although the Merrifield wound up scoring — run charged to Sanchez — Jaye went 2⅓ scoreless innings and earned his first big-league win.
“For Myles to get thrown into the game like that, warm-up in front of the other team and basically show them what’s working for him that day, then basically keep us in the game and get his first big-league win, something he’s going to always remember, was awesome,” said reliever Blaine Hardy.

In total, six relievers allowed one run on three hits.
Tigers left-handed reliever Blaine Hardy retired all eight Royals he faced, striking out three.
Lefty Daniel Stumpf gave up a home run into the visitor’s bullpen in left-center to Lorenzo Cain in the sixth. Jones, with a valiant leap at the fence, nearly brought it back.
Right-handers Drew VerHagen, Alex Wilson (returning from his three-game suspension) and Victor Alcantara (making his major-league debut) closed it out. Alcantara, acquired in the trade for Cameron Maybin, hit a batter and gave up a single before ending the game.

Tigers third baseman Jeimer Candelario has gotten a hit in all four games since being recalled from Triple-A Toledo. He hit a double in the gap in the second inning, scoring two runs and setting the stage for a seven-run outburst by the Tigers.

Candelario has started at third every day since his arrival; Nicholas Castellanos has moved to designated hitter.

Once Miguel Cabrera returns from suspension, Castellanos is likely to play some in right field. Tigers manager Brad Ausmus said Castellanos' debut is likely to come on the team's upcoming road trip.

The win marks the first time the Tigers hit at least five home runs in a game this season and the first time they have hit six in a game since last season – against the Royals.

MOMENTS THAT MATTERED
Jaye saves the day: Though Myles Jaye was a starter at Double-A Erie and Triple-A Toledo, he has been a long reliever as a September callup for the Tigers, and he wasn't expecting to take the mound for the second batter of the game. Sanchez's injury forced Jaye into action, and though Merrifield went on to score, Jaye allowed nothing else over his 2 1/3 innings for his first Major League win, followed by 2 2/3 perfect innings from Blaine Hardy.

JaCoby jack: Though Jeimer Candelario's second-inning double put the Tigers in front for good, it was Jones' opposite-field homer that provided some cushion. Jones hadn't homered since his Opening Day drive off then-White Sox lefty Jose Quintana, but he got enough of a Vargas fastball on the outside corner to send it out to right with a 101.7-mph exit velocity, according to Statcast™, for a 5-2 Tigers lead.

https://www.mlb.com/tigers/video/iglesias-solo-homer/c-1813834283?tid=8877502
Webvideo Highlights of the Tigers win over the royals.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/royals-...167#game_state=final,game_tab=box,game=492167
Boxscore.

ROARS:
JaCoby Jones: 2-for-4 with three RBI and two home runs.

John Hicks: 3-for-4 with four RBI and two home runs as well.

Mikie Mahtook: 3-for-5 with a home run after being robbed of one on Monday.

Jeimer Candelario: He was only 1-for-5, but it was the go-ahead RBI double to spark the offense.

The bullpen: No, this is not a misprint. Nine innings, four hits, one run, four walks, and seven strikeouts for Tigers relievers.

HISSES:
None

STATS AND INFO:
Candelario’s two-run double in the second gave the Tigers their first lead in a ballgame since trading Justin Verlander last week.

Candelario is now 6-for-13 in his brief career as a Tiger.

The Tigers his six home runs in a game for the first time since June 16, 2016.

JaCoby Jones and John Hicks made history Tuesday. Per Elias Sports, they became the second pair of rookie teammates to each hit two home runs in the same game.
The only other pair of rookies to do that — Reds' Jay Bruce and Joey Votto in 2008.

Last edited:
Verlander wins his first game, post Tigers, as an Astro 3-1, despite his teammates managing only 2 hits, the game-winner, ironically being a 2 run homer by his former Tiger teammate, Cameron Maybin. Still cannot understand why the M's pulled their starter Miranda in the 7th, while tied and who, despite 6 walks and a sacfly score, was pitching a NO HITTER vs one of the more prolific scoring teams in the AL. It cost them a possible win in short order, and if I was an M's fan, I would be VERY POed.

Last edited:
Verlander wins his first game, post Tigers, as an Astro 3-1, despite his teammates managing only 2 hits, the game-winner, ironically being a 2 run homer by his former Tiger teammate, Cameron Maybin. Still cannot understand why the M's pulled their starter Miranda in the 7th, while tied and who, despite 6 walks and a sacfly score, was pitching a NO HITTER vs one of the more prolific scoring teams in the AL. It cost them a possible win in short order, and if I was an M's fan, I would be VERY POed.

112 pitches. He only went over 100 pitches one time out of 28 starts (had exactly 100 pitches in 3 other starts)

I would pitch 150+, with a chance to get my name in the MLB record-books!!

Back