Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 140 Detroit vs Toronto 9/8/17

gotime909

Nick in RF and already has a grand slam. 4-0

1. Kinsler 2B
2. Candy 3B
3. Nick RF
4. Hicks DH
5. Mahtook CF
6. McCann C
7. Navarro 1B
8. Romine LF
9. Machado SS

P-Farmer

Last edited:
I turned the tv on flipped to the game and the first thing I saw was the tigers turn a triple play!

That was neat

Wilson give up a couple solo homers, but they hold on for a 5-4 win. Actually a fun game to watch.

Nick was asked in the post game how he likes right field says he likes it and that he's just trying to get left in the game for the 9th innings man. LOL that was funny, for as much crap as I give him for his defense and prolonged pitch recognition chase slumps, I do like his personality

Ian Kinsler hit his 16th solo home run of the season and was part of the first triple play turned by the Tigers since 2001.

Third baseman Jeimer Candelario started a 5-4-3 triple play in the sixth inning. Candelario quickly snagged a grounder hit by Kevin Pillar, then stepped on third. Candelario then fired to Kinsler, who relayed to first baseman Efren Navarro.

According to the Society of American Baseball Research?s Triple Plays Database, it was the Tigers? 34th triple play in club history.

Nick Castellanos hit a grand slam and did well defensively in his first major league game playing rightfield. Castellanos was making his first outfield start in four years for the Tigers and celebrated dually. He handled two fly-ball chances so casually it looked as if he had been gathering moss all these years in the outfield.

The Tigers went on to beat the Blue Jays, 5-4, on Friday night at Rogers Centre.

Castellanos hit his third career grand slam and 21st home run of the season to give the Tigers a 4-0 lead in the third inning.
Seven grand slams is the most the Tigers have hit in a season since 2009.

Righty Buck Farmer allowed two run (one earned) on five hits over five-plus innings for the Tigers. He walked two and struck out three.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/tigers-...204#game_state=final,game_tab=box,game=492204
Boxscore.

https://www.mlb.com/video/tigers-convert-a-triple-play/c-1820198083?tid=162280634
Webvideo Highlights of the Tigers win over the bluejays.

MOMENTS THAT MATTERED
A grand two-out rally: Castellanos delivered the big blow with his third career grand slam in the top of the third. Dixon Machado and Ian Kinsler kept the inning alive with a pair of two-out base hits and Jeimer Candelario walked to load the bases in front of Castellanos. The ball didn't appear to be threatening off the bat, as Blue Jays center fielder Kevin Pillar settled short of the warning track, but he had lost the ball in the sky and it quickly sailed over his head and the wall.

TIGERS TURN THREE
The Tigers turned their first triple play since 2001, halting what looked like a Blue Jays rally in the bottom of the sixth inning.
With runners on first and second base, Pillar drove a ground ball down the third-base line with an exit velocity of 106.2 mph, according to Statcast?. It was right at Candelario, who stepped on the bag and threw to Kinsler for the second out. Kinsler then fired to Efren Navarro at first, just narrowly beating out Pillar for the triple play.

TRAINER'S ROOM
Tigers: RHP Jordan Zimmermann (neck) had an injection Wednesday after being bothered by neck pain in his previous two starts and will not throw for three days. Zimmermann will rejoin the Tigers in Cleveland next week.
RHP Michael Fulmer (elbow) is scheduled to visit surgeon Dr. James Andrews on Monday.

Thanks for posting the vid link.

You have to wonder if they still turn that on a grass infield or whether the quick hop off the turf allowed the ball to get to Candelario more quickly. Still a heck of a play.

If the IF grass is kept long, like@ CoPa, esp in the early months of the season, but I imagine that it isn't as big a factor if kept shorter, and during the hottest and dryest months, esp in outdoor stadiums in the Central, South, and Southwest, where the hot summer sun bakes the ground. From my experience, frequently watering my lawn during prolonged hot-dry snaps, does not compare to even a couple of decent days of steady rainfall.

Last edited:
Back