Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 149 Tigers vs white sux Sept 17 2017

It seems in any 12-0 game, even if a no hitter wasn't on the line, it makes sense to get a replacement in there. Especially in September..

why does it make sense to have a replacement for Nick? Common sense says they need to get Nick as many reps as possible if he is going to make the move to RF.

why does it make sense to have a replacement for Nick? Common sense says they need to get Nick as many reps as possible if he is going to make the move to RF.

Common sense says this was probably Boyd's only chance of ever throwing a no hitter. Those 2 extra innings of work for Nick won't mean squat when we're losing 95 plus games the next 5 season's.

Common sense says this was probably Boyd's only chance of ever throwing a no hitter. Those 2 extra innings of work for Nick won't mean squat when we're losing 95 plus games the next 5 season's.

I was asking Mitch about his comment that they should have replaced Nick even if the no hitter wasn't on the line.

Because it's 12-0 and one of your best hitters are out there in a blow out. What's the point in September call ups if you're not using the youngsters. 1-2 extra innings for Nick in RF won't matter.. Generally players are replaced, especially the poor defensive ones..

One or two innings of lost reps in RF pales in comparison to defensively preserving a potential no hitter. He has the rest of this season, and next preseason to further gain experience in RF, which is a much less difficult position to master than infield. Tigers are ground-up rebuilding next season, so Castellanos has no real urgency or serious competition, when it has been his bat hat has kept him in the bigs, he will never be an elite defensive outfielder, anyway.

Because it's 12-0 and one of your best hitters are out there in a blow out. What's the point in September call ups if you're not using the youngsters. 1-2 extra innings for Nick in RF won't matter.. Generally players are replaced, especially the poor defensive ones..

candy, hicks, navarro, holaday, jones, machado were already in the game. Nobody was replaced in the entire game. Nick joked about moving to RF so he wouldn't be replaced in the late innings.

As far as youngsters being used...I believe the only guys outfielders on the bench were Collins (27), Presley (32) and Romine (31). FYI, Nick is 25. He is the youngster.

candy, hicks, navarro, holaday, jones, machado were already in the game. Nobody was replaced in the entire game. Nick joked about moving to RF so he wouldn't be replaced in the late innings.

As far as youngsters being used...I believe the only guys outfielders on the bench were Collins (27), Presley (32) and Romine (31). FYI, Nick is 25. He is the youngster.

Nonetheless.. It's like stealing in a 12-0 game. You just don't do. He was replaced a lot at 3B. Is 1 inning really worth keeping him in there? Maybe he gets hurt, in a meaningless blow out? In-fact, in a game like that most guys should be replaced. If anything just for rest.. At least the everyday vets.

Last edited:
Nonetheless.. It's like stealing in a 12-0 game. You just don't do. He was replaced a lot at 3B. Is 1 inning really worth keeping him in there? Maybe he gets hurt, in a meaningless blow out? In-fact, in a game like that most guys should be replaced. If anything just for rest.. At least the everyday vets.

It's not like stealing in a 12-0 game. That's poor sportsmanship. This is different. The pitcher had a no hitter. The manager didn't pull a single player. That was probably by design...had a great thing going...don't change a thing. Kind of typical baseball superstition bullshit. Maybe Brad was telling Nick "thanks for being a team player and moving to the OF, I'm not pulling you"

I really don't know. I wouldn't have cared if he pulled everybody or left everybody in the game. The issue I have is people are making such a big deal out of the fact that he didn't pull Nick.

It's not like stealing in a 12-0 game. That's poor sportsmanship. This is different. The pitcher had a no hitter. The manager didn't pull a single player. That was probably by design...had a great thing going...don't change a thing. Kind of typical baseball superstition bullshit. Maybe Brad was telling Nick "thanks for being a team player and moving to the OF, I'm not pulling you"

I really don't know. I wouldn't have cared if he pulled everybody or left everybody in the game. The issue I have is people are making such a big deal out of the fact that he didn't pull Nick.

You just explained it in a nutshell "The manager didn't pull a single player.." Poor RF, in a blowout - add in no hitter dumb move. Even if not a no hitter, get someone in there who doesn't play as much, give the bench some PT. Why does Nick need to be in?

The last reason.. Because he's a poor outfielder. Did you see the route he took?

Btw, it's like playing Cabrera instead of giving him rest. Who the heck is making these decisions..

Managers also decide where the if/of is positioned relative to a batter's spray chart. Looks like Nick was closer to the rf line, than centered. If he is traded within the next few years, I think that he would be moved to lf, then 1b, then ut/ph/dh...if his hitting ability continues/improves.

Managers also decide where the if/of is positioned relative to a batter's spray chart. Looks like Nick was closer to the rf line, than centered. If he is traded within the next few years, I think that he would be moved to lf, then 1b, then ut/ph/dh...if his hitting ability continues/improves.

If Victor doesn't come back I'd put him at DH. Or 1B if Miggy goes to DH. I can't wait until Stewart comes up we can have 2 DH's in the OF.

You just explained it in a nutshell "The manager didn't pull a single player.." Poor RF, in a blowout - add in no hitter dumb move. Even if not a no hitter, get someone in there who doesn't play as much, give the bench some PT. Why does Nick need to be in?

The last reason.. Because he's a poor outfielder. Did you see the route he took?

did you look at the starting lineup? It was FULL of players that don't play much...lol

Hicks
vavarro
holaday
jones
machado

did you look at the starting lineup? It was FULL of players that don't play much...lol

Hicks
vavarro
holaday
jones
machado

And there were some that don't sitting on the bench. Who says there are limits of how many you can replace in the late innings..

uRuwp.gif

Back