Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Rothstein's prediction -- ESPN

This is just a new bit..

No one is a dumbass for a year just to get us through..

This is just a new bit..

No one is a dumbass for a year just to get us through..

I like Lions discussion and debate. We talked about the secondary, Stafford, coaching, weapons. All good topics.

It got us through. Notice how the pre-season is over. Time for actual football discussion and you get my real views now.

Thanks for finally admitting what I've been saying all along LKP. You tried too hard to be a zealot for me to really believe you.

Thanks for finally admitting what I've been saying all along LKP. You tried too hard to be a zealot for me to really believe you.

He still believes It. He just took it too far this time which made him realize he was being an idiot. This is just the denial phase of the emotional instability he is going thru. Kinda like when youre fading in the shower then the water turns cold. He will be back to his normal crazy self in a week.

2014 NFL Preview: Everything you need to know about the Detroit Lions
Michael Amato Aug 29 2014, 07:24AM
AFC Previews
BUF | MIA | NE | NYJ
BAL | CIN | CLE | PIT
HOU | IND | JAX | TEN
DEN | KC | OAK | SD
NFC Previews
DAL | NYG | PHI | WAS
CHI | DET | GB | MIN
ATL | CAR | NO | TB
ARI | STL | SF | SEA

Detroit Lions

Schedule | Roster

2013 Record 2013 Finish
7-9 3rd in NFC North, 11th in NFC
Jim Schwartz was the most successful coach in Detroit over the past 15 years, guiding the team to one playoff appearance in five seasons. That should tell you everything you need to know about the state of the franchise.

Schwartz lost his job after the Lions stumbled down the stretch in 2013, dropping their final four contests, including three to non-playoff teams, when they looked to be in control of the NFC North. The exclusion from January football was the 13th time they've missed out on the postseason in the past 14 campaigns.

Despite their struggles, the Lions have talent on both sides of the ball. Matthew Stafford and Calvin Johnson have developed into a top quarterback and wide receiver pairing, while former second-overall pick Ndamukong Suh anchors the defensive line.

The Lions will have to improve on their pass defense if they hope to make headway in the North. Last year's 23rd ranking isn't going to cut it in a division that boasts Jay Cutler and Aaron Rodgers.

Preseason Power Ranking - #17

Wins still won't be easy to come by, but with Golden Tate and Eric Ebron added to the offense, the Lions will be fun to watch. Stafford has a real chance to spread the ball around for the first time in his career. More ...

Key Additions/Departures

Golden Tate, WR, Lions
Key Additions: WR Golden Tate, SS James Ihedigbo, FB Jed Collins

Key Departures: DE Willie Young, FS Louis Delmas, CB Chris Houston, WR Nate Burleson

The addition of Tate gives Stafford another legitimate weapon to work with other than Johnson. Too many times the Detroit signal caller gets caught honing in on Megatron, and as fruitful as that combination has become, Stafford needs to build confidence working through his progressions.

Tate should force defenses to at least shift some of their attention away from Johnson and give Stafford another pass catcher to build chemistry with. He comes to the Lions bursting with confidence as he was an integral part of the Seattle Seahawks' Super Bowl championship team, leading the NFL in yards after the catch per attempt in 2013. He should also give the Lions' punt return game a boost.

2014 Draft Class

RD PK Player
1 10 TE Eric Ebron
2 40 OLB Kyle Van Noy
3 76 C Travis Swanson
4 133 CB Nevin Lawson
4 136 DE Larry Webster
5 158 DT Caraun Reid
6 189 WR T.J. Jones
7 229 K Nate Freese
The Lions turned some heads by selecting Ebron 10th overall, but the pick further emphasizes Detroit's philosophy of giving Stafford more options other than Johnson.

Ebron is a dynamic tight end that can stretch the field, as evidenced by his 16.1 yards per catch average at North Carolina. He should have little trouble beating out Brandon Pettigrew, who the Lions curiously signed to a lucrative deal before drafting Ebron, for the starting role.

Van Noy and Swanson weren't sexy picks in rounds two and three, but they should fill important holes on the roster (though Van Noy won't do so until midseason at the earliest after undergoing surgery late in the preseason).

Coaching Staff

Head Coach: Jim Caldwell
Offensive Coordinator: Joe Lombardi
Defensive Coordinator: Teryl Austin

Caldwell and the departing Schwartz couldn't be more different, as the new head coach has a vast offensive pedigree. He spent nearly a decade working with Peyton Manning in Indianapolis, so who better to tighten up Stafford's sometimes dodgy mechanics? He and Lombardi, who comes over from New Orleans where he coached Drew Brees, are hoping to make the offense run like a well-oiled machine.

More recently, Caldwell helped the Baltimore Ravens win Super Bowl XLVII as the offensive coordinator and did wonders for Joe Flacco's game. Austin was the secondary coach on that staff and both will bring a winning culture to an organization that desperately needs it.

2014 Schedule

WK DATE OPPONENT TIME (EDT)
1 Mon, Sep 8 vs Giants 7:10 PM ESPN
2 Sun, Sep 14 at Panthers 1:00 PM FOX
3 Sun, Sep 21 vs Packers 1:00 PM FOX
4 Sun, Sep 28 at Jets 1:00 PM FOX
5 Sun, Oct 5 vs Bills 1:00 PM FOX
6 Sun, Oct 12 at Vikings 1:00 PM FOX
7 Sun, Oct 19 vs Saints 1:00 PM FOX
8 Sun, Oct 26 at Falcons (London) 9:30 AM FOX
9 BYE WEEK
10 Sun, Nov 9 vs Dolphins 1:00 PM CBS
11 Sun, Nov 16 at Cardinals 4:25 PM FOX
12 Sun, Nov 23 at Patriots 1:00 PM FOX
13 Thu, Nov 27 vs Bears 12:30 PM CBS
14 Sun, Dec 7 vs Buccaneers 1:00 PM FOX
15 Sun, Dec 14 vs Vikings 1:00 PM FOX
16 Sun, Dec 21 at Bears 1:00 PM FOX
17 Sun, Dec 28 at Packers 1:00 PM FOX
The Lions are going to need to take advantage of the fact they play the Giants, Jets, and Bills, three non-playoff teams from 2013, in the first five weeks of the season. They also host the Packers during that stretch and a win there could have huge implications in the NFC North.

Unfortunately for Detroit, they close the campaign on a bit of a tough stretch. They travel to frosty Chicago and Green Bay in the final two weeks of the season. Not exactly an ideal situation for a dome team that employs an intricate passing attack. The Lions haven't won at Lambeau Field since 1991 and that is probably going to have to change in Week 17 if they hope to return to the playoffs.

Bold Predictions

Stafford will lead the NFC in passing yards. Brees has led the conference in passing yardage for the past four seasons, but the additional weapons combined with an improved coaching staff should help Stafford's totals immensely. If Caldwell can improve his mechanics, it should give the pivot more confidence to make Tate and Ebron major complementary targets to go along with Johnson. If Stafford plays his cards right, we could be in store for video game-like numbers. - Michael Amato

The Lions will win all their home games: Ford Field hasn’t been especially kind to the Lions over the past two seasons, as the team has posted an overall record of 6-10. Of those 10 losses, seven were decided by three points or less. The Lions have one of the NFL’s easiest home schedules this season and one of the most difficult road schedules, so winning at Ford Field will be key to deciding where they finish in the NFC North. - Caitlyn Holroyd

Ezekiel Ansah will record 10+ sacks. Looking for the 2014 version of Robert Quinn? Look no further than Ziggy Ansah. The No. 5 overall pick in 2013 entered the league extremely raw, but he’s reportedly made great progress this offseason. Ansah’s talent is mouth-watering, and his situation in Detroit is equally appetizing: he gets to line up next to top picks Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley in the “wide-9” scheme favored by Lions defensive line coach Jim Washburn. In other words, Ansah will get to tee off against man blocking. He’s primed to explode. - David Woods

Feature photo courtesy of USA TODAY Sports/Tim Fuller

Nope, nobody could actually believe the shit he's been defending all offseason. Crazy that he kept it up as long as he did. Read his most recent posts, he was definitely fucking with us. I do believe that he enjoys fucking with people's heads..Hughes especially

Last edited:
Nope, nobody could actually believe the shit he's been defending all offseason. Crazy that he kept it up as long as he did. Read his most recent posts, he was definitely fucking with us. I do believe that he enjoys fucking with people's heads..Hughes especially

I put him on ignore months ago and click "view post" when I needed a good laugh for just wanted to feed him a little.

I'm also amazed he kept it up that long. It would have drove me insane, although I'm not in my teens or 20's so "trolling" just doesn't appeal to me.

Fake, troll..doesn't really change who he is, pretty much a dick :ugh:

question...now that lkp is a fraud troll....does that make tony the biggest legitimate homer poster on the board now?

How am i a homer? 8 wins, buddy. EIGHT!

cause anytime anyone remotely says anything realistic shading toward negative you argue against it. You either believe everything youre saying which makes you a homer...or you just say stupid shit cause you like to argue.

Last edited:
cause anytime anyone remotely says anything realistic shading toward negative you argue against it. You either believe everything youre saying which makes you a homer...or you just say stupid shit cause you like to argue.

Nah, not even close. You blame everything on certain players and our GM for everything. I just correct you. This team has a ton of holes, but that's the NFL for ya. I'm not even close to a homer

Nah, not even close. You blame everything on certain players and our GM for everything. I just correct you. This team has a ton of holes, but that's the NFL for ya. I'm not even close to a homer

most every day I really like you tony....you've been a great poster for a long time. but today youre wasted or something? lol. So you just said you disagree with me all the time cause I blame either the gm or the players for being awful? who the fuck else am I supposed to blame????

Back