Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Whoever is the scout that recommended Mike Pelfrey

durtymrclean

Needs to be fired immediately and removed from this organization. This is a horrible contract. Anyone with half a brain can see that.

While I 100% agree with you (and have thought so from the start), I am going to wait a few more starts before piling on. I don't want to give the people who cherish the 'eye test' to much grief this early in the season.

This was one of those signings most of us did not like, and probably won't for this year and next.
The one positive the scout and brain trust looked at could have been his increase in velocity from 90ish to 93 on his FB. Thing is we know he isn't a strikeout pitcher, more GB. But if he doesn't have command of the 2 seam or whatever pitch he throws with the down movement he will get hammered.
Throw in he is a veteran and maybe they didn't want any pitcher who was in his first year in 2015 in the rotation other than Greene or Norris he was looked on as a safe sign for the end of the rotation. Will his numbers be any better or worse than what we had with say Porcello other than Rick's last year?
I miss the Tigers 2013 rotation big time.

From 2009-2014 Away (Porcello's time with DET, 110 Starters had at least 300 IP)

xFIP
7. J. Verlander 3.32
8. J. Zimmermann 3.34
10. M. Scherzer 3.39
16. D. Price 3.46
34. A. Sanchez 3.82
26. R. Porcello 3.84
37. D. Fister 3.84
51. E. Jackson 3.97

96. R. Wolf 4.45
103. M. Pelfrey 4.59

wOBA
11. J. Verlander .296
17. D. Price .302
18. J. Zimmermann .302
29. M. Scherzer .310
35. A. Sanchez .312
51. D. Fister .319

. R. Porcello .324
72. R. Wolf .330
80. E. Jackson .334

108. M. Pelfrey .359

WHIP
7. J. Zimmermann 1.15
17. J.Verlander 1.20
32. M. Scherzer 1.24
40. D. Fister 1.28
54. A. Sanchez 1.32
56. R. Wolf 1.32

68. R. Porcello 1.35

82. E. Jackson 1.38
109. M. Pelfrey 1.56

I am sorry, but the comparing Pelfrey to Porcello, would be like comparing Zimmermann to Porcello. That is how much difference in performance. And yet, we are talking about the Porcello who pitched from 20-24, not a starter during his prime.

Last edited:
This was one of those signings most of us did not like, and probably won't for this year and next.
The one positive the scout and brain trust looked at could have been his increase in velocity from 90ish to 93 on his FB. Thing is we know he isn't a strikeout pitcher, more GB. But if he doesn't have command of the 2 seam or whatever pitch he throws with the down movement he will get hammered.
Throw in he is a veteran and maybe they didn't want any pitcher who was in his first year in 2015 in the rotation other than Greene or Norris he was looked on as a safe sign for the end of the rotation. Will his numbers be any better or worse than what we had with say Porcello other than Rick's last year?
I miss the Tigers 2013 rotation big time.
He throws a sinker over 70% of the time. His other 30% is not that good. So my thinking is that as a hitter you know what's coming 70% of the time. If his sinker lacks movement like it did today, and guys know it's coming, they are going to tee off on it like they did today. I knew in the first inning he was not going to fair well the second time through their lineup. He has to figure out a way to command the zone as well as his 30%. Maybe the pitching coach can straighten him out but I am not hopeful. Guys are sitting on his sinker and will continue to do so if he continues to throw it over 70% of the time.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

When I was watching him he wasn't getting hit really hard. The one A-Rod hit but that seemed like a good location and pitch. And of course during that last inning. If JD makes that's catch, he probably does 8 of 10 times, they don't score those 4 runs.

He was just too wild.

When I was watching him he wasn't getting hit really hard. The one A-Rod hit but that seemed like a good location and pitch. And of course during that last inning. If JD makes that's catch, he probably does 8 of 10 times, they don't score those 4 runs.

He was just too wild.

Agreed

At least he put it all on himself after the game. Said he was too wild and didn't blame it on the weather like Mr. Excuse Brad Ausmus did.

Ground ball pitchers that don't over power hitters. Oh, and they are both overpaid for what they are. I'd take Pelfrey at 8 mil over Rick's 20 all day though.

My choice would be neither but yes porcello's 20 would be a worse ck tract than Zimmerman for 22

Agreed

At least he put it all on himself after the game. Said he was too wild and didn't blame it on the weather like Mr. Excuse Brad Ausmus did.

If Ausmus had taken the route of calling Pelfrey out, this board and most of the fan base would have taken a collective shit on him for not supporting his player. We may know it's bullshit but from mental perspective, 'Mr Excuse' said the right thing at this point in the season imo.

If Ausmus had taken the route of calling Pelfrey out, this board and most of the fan base would have taken a collective shit on him for not supporting his player. We may know it's bullshit but from mental perspective, 'Mr Excuse' said the right thing at this point in the season imo.

Honestly, I think that kind of cold would effect anyone's command, so Brad was partly right anyways. The other half being Pelfrey doesn't have great control when it's warms either.

Pelfrey's value is a minor league contract or a league minimum major league contract. In essence, he is being overpaid by $7-8 Mil a year based on historical performance. Porcelllo, despite last year, had performed well enough to justify at least a $15-16 Mil a year contract, if not more. While still overpaid, Porcello is still the better value.

But it really doesn't matter. DET didn't pay Porcello his contract, but they did pay Pelfrey top dollar without competition.

This signing and contract was a head shaker. Can only hope he gets better. 2 year contract for this guy was crazy

Overpaying players is mr. Pizza MO nowadays with the Red Wings and the Tigers sadly.

Last edited:
He's been a steaming pile of shit so far. 2.05 WHIP. I know it's still early, but WOW

Back