Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Bryce Harper wants to make baseball fun again

I didn't read this but is he saying baseball isn't fun? At 23 and he wasn't having fun? I've seen Miggy for years and he seems always to have fun.

He's talking about adding "emotion" to the game. Stuff like Bautista's bat flip...that kind of "fun"

He's talking about adding "emotion" to the game. Stuff like Bautista's bat flip...that kind of "fun"

What kind of fun is that. Fun for him, sure but how about the pitcher. Maybe they can have fun by throwing a heater at their neck.

I kind of agree with him. The game is more entertaining with characters like Miggy, Bautista, and Harper. Have some fun while you are out there, get the crowd fired up, and engage with the fans. That's what sports should be about, instead of this stupid serious/angry stuff that has taken over.

I kind of agree with him. The game is more entertaining with characters like Miggy, Bautista, and Harper. Have some fun while you are out there, get the crowd fired up, and engage with the fans. That's what sports should be about, instead of this stupid serious/angry stuff that has taken over.

But what was said above was a "bat flip." Express yourself. How does that get anyone having fun. And who's not having fun? I've been to many ballparks and the people I see seem to be having fun.

Imo, this is an article that tries to make him be the "savior of baseball." Baseball is fun, fans have fun, and I see players all
over having fun.

But what was said above was a "bat flip." Express yourself. How does that get anyone having fun. And who's not having fun? I've been to many ballparks and the people I see seem to be having fun.

Imo, this is an article that tries to make him be the "savior of baseball." Baseball is fun, fans have fun, and I see players all
over having fun.

That's exactly what they are talking about. A lot of the young players think that they can't express themselves. Maybe I'm getting to be a crusty old man who yells "get off my grass" but I like baseball the way it is.

This is what he had to say in an ESPN article

"Baseball's tired," he says. "It's a tired sport, because you can't express yourself. You can't do what people in other sports do. I'm not saying baseball is, you know, boring or anything like that, but it's the excitement of the young guys who are coming into the game now who have flair. If that's Matt Harvey or Jacob deGrom or Manny Machado or Joc Pederson or Andrew McCutchen or Yasiel Puig -- there's so many guys in the game now who are so much fun.

"Jose Fernandez is a great example. Jose Fernandez will strike you out and stare you down into the dugout and pump his fist. And if you hit a homer and pimp it? He doesn't care. Because you got him. That's part of the game. It's not the old feeling -- hoorah ... if you pimp a homer, I'm going to hit you right in the teeth. No. If a guy pimps a homer for a game-winning shot ... I mean -- sorry."

He stops, looks around. The hell with it, he's all in.

"If a guy pumps his fist at me on the mound, I'm going to go, 'Yeah, you got me. Good for you. Hopefully I get you next time.' That's what makes the game fun. You want kids to play the game, right? What are kids playing these days? Football, basketball. Look at those players -- Steph Curry, LeBron James. It's exciting to see those players in those sports. Cam Newton -- I love the way Cam goes about it. He smiles, he laughs. It's that flair. The dramatic."

If it's tired sport pick another sport. Baseball is fun, bottom line. I'm thinking he's just not having fun.

Harper was having fun last night...told the ump to "fuck off" after getting tossed. Good times!

Back