Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Jim Leyland named manager of Team USA for World Baseball Classic

tigermud

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...named-manager-team-usa-world-baseball-classic

Detroit Tigers special assistant Jim Leyland was named manager of Team USA for the World Baseball Classic on Friday.

"It's a great honor to be named manager of team USA," the 71-year-old Leyland said in a statement. "I'm looking forward to working with USA Baseball on this challenge in my career. I'm excited to get started and flattered with this opportunity."

The fourth World Baseball Classic takes place in 2017. The United States reached the semifinals in 2009, but was eliminated in the second round in both 2006 and 2013.

Leyland, who has never served as a manager on an international level, ranks 15th on the all-time MLB managerial wins list with 1,769. He was named Manager of the Year on three occasions during his 22-year career in the majors with the Pirates, Marlins, Rockies and Tigers.

He will be joined on the Team USA staff by Jeff Jones, Marcel Lachemann, Lloyd McClendon, Willie Randolph and Alan Trammell.

"We could not be happier to have Jim Leyland serve as the manager," USA Baseball CEO Paul Seiler said in a statement. "His tremendous managerial success will produce immediate respect and rapport amongst the players and staff and we look forward to him leading Team USA to new heights in the World Baseball Classic."

The Team USA roster has yet to be named.

Back