Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Mr. I wants Leyland back?

They should have hired Gardenhire when they had the chance.

Why?

Gardenhire never won anything, and he had some great talent. His overall record was 1068-1039 (.507), and his postseason record was 6-21 (.222)

His last 4 years managing were the worst 4 years in Twins history.

There is nothing at all about that fat guy that is desirable from a managing standpoint.

17 games in. In-fact just the past 7-9 games have been underwhelming. I guess I just can't get upset with the Tigers because I've seen the other side, the Lions.

17 games in is all one needs to see isn't it? 3.5 of the 5 starting pitchers are horrible, still don't have a reliable closer, victor is just a bad swing or base running moment away from another knee injury, miggy can't catch up to fastballs anymore, K machine Upton is a train wreck and ausmus can't figure out he's not a #2 spot hitter. What would make anyone think the first 17 games won't be any different then the next? Mr I fires ausmus maybe? back to the original topic. LOL..

Last edited:
17 games in is all one needs to see isn't it? 3.5 of the 5 starting pitchers are horrible, still don't have a reliable closer, victor is just a bad swing or base running moment away from another knee injury, miggy can't catch up to fastballs anymore, K machine Upton is a train wreck and ausmus can't figure out he's not a #2 spot hitter. What would make anyone think the first 17 games won't be any different then the next? Mr I fires ausmus maybe? back to the original topic. LOL..

We don't. But it happens.. You know what I do when the Tigers lose badly, turn off the TV and go outside where the suns at. I saw a WS win, I'm set.

We don't. But it happens.. You know what I do when the Tigers lose badly, turn off the TV and go outside where the suns at. I saw a WS win, I'm set.

I did that during yesterdays game, went and got yard supplies, ran into another tiger fan doing the same, he says it never ends does it? I said the yard work or the tigers? hahahahahaha that was funny.

I did that during yesterdays game, went and got yard supplies, ran into another tiger fan doing the same, he says it never ends does it? I said the yard work or the tigers? hahahahahaha that was funny.

I get more upset when Phil misses the cut at the Masters.

:cheers:

I am of the opinion that in the grand scheme of things, if the players are talented, not hurt and giving their all, a manager has negligible effect on a team.

That said, Ausmus is clueless and I believe the players are getting tired of him. The bad base running this team continues to make is a very telling sign. Either the coaches/manager have no clue or the players don't care. Or a combination of the two. If it is the first, the players know. If it is the second, the players know. And if it is a combination, the players know. But who commits the base running blunders? The players.

I also don't think this team has the talent to compete. But they are playing "bad baseball" and that is in the style/manner in which they play the game. If they were playing "good baseball" and just getting beat by better teams, so be it. But there are too many areas where the team lacks the manner to be a successful team.

And no, as much as I was OK with Leyland, we do not need to go there. Bring in Tom Brookens or some other "newbee" manager that has had some managerial experience, even in the minors. Ausmus never managed anything more than tying his own shoelaces.

When you don't have a deep starting rotation like 2013, things will go bad.
Add in that many on the team are not hitting, and a manager who hasn't learned much of anything in his 2 plus years. Rinse wash repeat.

KingOfDetroit, I don't put much stock in that detroit rag site. idk about the knuckleball site. Maybe they have something there...isk

All I know is it's early, and some of you can say and others agree with that premise, but with a mediocre rotation, a better bullpen but still shaky closer so far, and an incompetent manager most of us didn't want, I can't help but think the players "Are" getting tired of ausmus.

Gardenhire? No, Leyland? I seriously doubt it, and remember how we hated him sitting a player who had been on a hot streak, and his sundays day off for many regulars lineups?
imo if ausmus gets the boot, Lloyd will take over for better or worse. When? All-Star break if they still are shitting themselves, September, or the end of the year.
I've seen enough years of Tigers baseball, that tells me something is wrong besides the players and pitchers struggling.
Who the fuck in their worst nightmare thought Miggy would be batting .200ish?? Starters with 100 plus pitches barely to the 5th inning.

I remember when we started hot last since and then went to junk. Sparky used to say the jury is still out until game 40.

Last edited:
https://www.detroitathletic.com/blog/2016/04/25/detroit-tigers-managers-fired-in-mid-season/
DetroitAthletic

The Detroit Tigers have hit their first bump in the road.

The hitters aren?t hitting, and the pitchers aren?t pitching.

Nothing seems to be going right.

The base-running has left much to be desired. That is particularly troubling, given the emphasis that was put on running the bases in spring training.

Inevitably, there is a segment of the fan base that will lay the finger of blame on manager Brad Ausmus. It happens all the time when a team struggles in April.

It was imperative that the team get off to a good start, particularly for Ausmus? sake. And they did, until the Tigers lost consecutive series against Houston and Kansas City, and looked awful in getting swept by Cleveland at home.

Before the season, the pundits agreed that Ausmus would be given a short leash. If things begin to spiral out of control, it could get ugly. But that is looking too far ahead.

Historically, the Tigers have rarely fired a manager while the season was underway. They?ve had skippers resign, they?ve had them traded, and they?ve had them die tragically.

But here?s a look at those managers who were given their walking papers during a season.

Red Rolfe (1952)

As a player, he had been an All-Star third baseman on five Yankee World Series winners. Rolfe had learned under Joe McCarthy, one of the greatest managers ever. He was hired just before the 1949 season by the Tigers, a team that had finished one game over .500 the year before. They were a solid club but in no way considered a contender compared to the likes of the Yankees and Red Sox.

Detroit won 87 games in Rolfe?s first season, good for fourth place. They followed that up with a 95-win campaign in which they finished only three games behind New York in 1950. That was the year that a forest fire may have cost the Tigers the pennant.

Rolfe?s head contained a wealth of baseball knowledge. He was quick with a smile, and an enthusiastic cheerleader in the dugout. And he always gave credit to his men when they did something exceptional on the field.

For his efforts, Rolfe was named Manager of the Year in 1950.

But baseball is a funny game. The Tigers dipped to 73-81 in 1951. Rolfe?s perfectionist ways had begun to wear on his players. After an awful 23-49 start in ?52, he was let go, never to manage again in the big leagues. The Tigers lost 104 games that year.

Jack Tighe (1958)

Previously a catcher and manager in the Tigers? minor league system, Tighe (pronounced ?tie?) joined the big league team as a coach in 1942. He managed again in the minors before making it back to Detroit in 1955, again as a coach. Two years later, at age 43, he became the new Tiger manager, leading the club to a 78-76 season. But his tenure was short-lived. A 21-28 start in 1958 led to his dismissal. Tighe went on to a successful career as a minor-league skipper, including an International League championship with the Toledo Mud Hens in 1968. A baseball lifer, he worked for the Tigers in various capacities until 1990.

Bill Norman (1959)

A former scout and manager in the Tiger organization, Norman took over for the fired Tighe in June of ?58. He steered Detroit to a solid 56-49 record the rest of the way. As a player, Norman had been a prolific minor league hitter, slugging 276 home runs in 18 years, but none in 37 big league games with the Chicago White Sox. Norman was brought back to manage the Tigers in 1959, but was quickly given the shove after a 2-15 start.

Bob Scheffing (1963)

In 1961, Scheffing looked like a genius. After three lackluster seasons at the helm of the Chicago Cubs, the Tigers hired the 46-year-old Scheffing following a lackluster 1960 campaign. A former big league catcher, he took a Detroit club with stars like Al Kaline, Rocky Colavito, and Norm Cash, who had a breakout season, and led them to 101 victories.

The only problem was the New York Yankees won 109.

On September 1, the Tigers headed to the Bronx for a huge weekend tilt, only a game and a half behind the Yanks. But Detroit dropped all three games, two by gut-wrenching walk-offs. It was the beginning of an eight-game losing streak by the Tigers, and a 13-game winning streak by New York, which ended any hopes of a pennant in Motown.

Detroit slipped to fourth place with 85 wins in 1962. Scheffing couldn?t rally his underperforming troops the following year, and a 24-36 start proved his undoing. Charlie Dressen took over, but the season was already lost.

Billy Martin (1973)

Hired before the 1971 season, Martin took a down-and-out franchise sprinkled with aging stars from the 1968 championship team and transformed them into division winners in 1972. But just like he did in every other city he managed in, it didn?t take Martin long to wear out his welcome with management. The final straw came the following year: Martin admitted to ordering his pitchers to throw spitballs as a means of evening the playing field against the Indians? legendary greaser Gaylord Perry. At the time of his firing, the Tigers were 71-63. He was replaced by Joe Schultz, remembered today as the manager of the 1969 Seattle Pilots, the team made famous in Jim Bouton?s classic memoir, Ball Four. Schultz?s rallying cry in ?69 was ?Pound that Budweiser!?

Les Moss (1979)

Fifty-three games into the season, and a game over .500, Moss, the first-year manager of the Tigers, was abruptly let go. The fault was not with Moss, but rather the opportunity the Tigers had to hire former Reds skipper Sparky Anderson, who had been to the World Series four times with Cincy. Sparky had been fired by the Reds back in November of 1978. Moss never managed another game in the big leagues, and we all know the rest of the Sparky story. Moss?s firing, and Sparky?s hiring, was one of the most historic days in the history of Tiger baseball.

Buddy Bell (1998)

Bell?s three-years in Detroit were completely forgettable. In September of ?98, he approached GM Randy Smith demanding to know if he would be retained as manager in ?99. Smith?s answer was to fire Bell then and there. Said team president John McHale: ?There?s never a good time to change the flat tires, but sometimes you do what is best at the time.?

Phil Garner (2002)

Brought to town before the 2000 season, Garner guided mediocre Tiger clubs to third- and fourth-place finishes. And then, after six straight losses to start the 2002 season, he was fired along with Randy Smith. Outfielder Bobby Higginson admitted, ?You could bring in MacArthur, with what they gave him to work with, and he?s probably not going to come out with more wins.? Team president Dave Dombrowski, who axed the two men beneath him, took over as the club?s general manager.

The common thread through all these firings is that their successors (with the exception of Sparky) didn?t prove to be much better than the skippers they replaced. These were mediocre teams, regardless of the man in charge.

Firing the manager is always an easy option, but a club has to have the horses to compete.

exactly.

This is supposed to be enjoyable. It's baseball. Watch the game and live your life. People seem bitter. Bitter is a weird emotion to have about a game.

When you don't have a deep starting rotation like 2013, things will go bad.
Add in that many on the team are not hitting, and a manager who hasn't learned much of anything in his 2 plus years. Rinse wash repeat.

KingOfDetroit, I don't put much stock in that detroit rag site. idk about the knuckleball site. Maybe they have something there...isk

All I know is it's early, and some of you can say and others agree with that premise, but with a mediocre rotation, a better bullpen but still shaky closer so far, and an incompetent manager most of us didn't want, I can't help but think the players "Are" getting tired of ausmus.

Gardenhire? No, Leyland? I seriously doubt it, and remember how we hated him sitting a player who had been on a hot streak, and his sundays day off for many regulars lineups?
imo if ausmus gets the boot, Lloyd will take over for better or worse. When? All-Star break if they still are shitting themselves, September, or the end of the year.
I've seen enough years of Tigers baseball, that tells me something is wrong besides the players and pitchers struggling.
Who the fuck in their worst nightmare thought Miggy would be batting .200ish?? Starters with 100 plus pitches barely to the 5th inning.
I agree. I think the players resent his arrogance. Something isn't right besides the questionable talent. Maybe they can send him down to Toledo with Collins and recall Lloyd and Schierholtz

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

exactly.

This is supposed to be enjoyable. It's baseball. Watch the game and live your life. People seem bitter. Bitter is a weird emotion to have about a game.

When you are young and your team(s) win, all is right. You can't wait and think they will do it again. Following the Tigers since 1954 and only 2 World Champions and the last in 1984, and myself getting older a year and a half from 70, getting 2 chances recent years 2006 and 2012 and losing both,
I guess you can say I am kind of bitter about it.

When you are young and your team(s) win, all is right. You can't wait and think they will do it again. Following the Tigers since 1954 and only 2 World Champions and the last in 1984, and myself getting older a year and a half from 70, getting 2 chances recent years 2006 and 2012 and losing both,
I guess you can say I am kind of bitter about it.

I am bitter about being born in November of 1984. One month after the last Tigers World Series :(

But having said that I am not one who gets overly bitter about the Tigers. I understand they had a window just recently where they were really great, but they just came up short. It sucks but that's just the way the cookie crumbled. Now we're sinking into mediocrity and perhaps worse, which was inevitable.

I will still enjoy turning on a ball game during the summer nights.

I was very pissed after 2006 and 2012 , and all the playoff mess ups!!!!!!. I remember telling Ron I thought the Tigers had enough talent to win 2 or 3 titles many years ago and they mucked it all up. I still hope for Lightning In a bottle again. I just don't remember much of 1968 but 1984 was fantastic. 1972 hurt. 1987 hurt. I am trying to put less stock on baseball games as the season is just way to long and right now the Tigers just aren't very exciting to me for some reason

Last edited:
I mean my god after Magglio's Homer to send the Tigers to the series how the heck did Smokey get out coached by a a manager of a 83-78 team :/

I guess we were way over confident sadly.

"Tigers in three."

Last edited:
I mean my god after Magglio's Homer to send the Tigers to the series how the heck did Smokey get out coached by a a manager of a 83-78 team :/

I guess we were way over confident sadly.

"Tigers in three."

Not any worse than '87. Minny just got hot and won the WS. Regular season they were just average.

I am bitter about being born in November of 1984. One month after the last Tigers World Series :(

But having said that I am not one who gets overly bitter about the Tigers. I understand they had a window just recently where they were really great, but they just came up short. It sucks but that's just the way the cookie crumbled. Now we're sinking into mediocrity and perhaps worse, which was inevitable.

I will still enjoy turning on a ball game during the summer nights.
Tigers are like wife's. You love them dearly but they piss you off.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

KC, I don't read either site regularly, so I don't know how good or bad either is. I just saw the DSR stuff popping up on social media and thought it was post-worthy.

I have to say that '68 and '84 overshadow the disappointment of '87, '06, and 2009-present, even though there were times I was pretty frustrated at selected times (B-8 of G2 of 2013 ALCS) and Sanchez's 30-pitch inning in the '14 ALDS (and putting Chamberlain in the 8th) ... but overall '68 and '84 can never be taken from us.

Back