Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

A's @ Tigers 4-26-2016 Game 19

tigermud

Game Time: 7:10
TV: Fox Sports Detroit
Forecast: Cloudy 51

Detroit (9-9)

Kinsler 2B
Upton LF
Cabrera 1B
Victor Martinez DH
JD Martinez RF
Castellanos 3B
Saltalamacchia C
Gose CF
Iglesias, SS

P: Pelfrey 0-3 3.68

Oakland (10-10)

Burns, CF
Coghlan, 3B
Reddick, RF
Lowrie, 2B
Vogt, C
Crisp, RF
Davis, LF
Alonso, 1B
Semien, SS

P: Rich Hill 2-2 3.32

Game Notes

A pair of .500 teams still trying to find their footing this season continue their four-game series downtown tonight. Cabrera snapped out of his slump with four hits, two of which home runs, and four RBIs in Monday's 7-3 win. As for tonight, Pelfrey's ERA may seem manageable, but his WHIP is 2.18.

Catcher James McCann will begin an injury-rehab assignment with Triple-A Toledo tonight. McCann has been sidelined since April 12 with a right ankle sprain. Left-handed pitcher Daniel Norris continued his rehab assignment with Toledo on Monday night. He started and threw six innings, allowing one run on four hits with one walk and five strikeouts. In four rehab starts between Toledo and Class A Lakeland, Norris has a 0-1 record with a 5.06 ERA.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2016/04/26/detroit-tigers-oakland-athletics/83532352/

Now we can bitch and moan about Pelfrey again all night and he'll probably deserve it again but I do at least respect that he owns up to it and doesn't try and sugar coat anything.

"I don't think my command has ever been this bad," Pelfrey told MLB's official website. "But it's unacceptable. I've been terrible. I feel bad for the guys behind me, having to go hit after standing out in the field for 40 minutes.

"I take the blame for this. This is my fault. It's unacceptable. I need to be a lot better. I need to figure it out pretty fast. It's embarrassing. I haven't been good enough for three starts. I've been pretty terrible. I'll figure it out."

His previous starts against Oakland (10-10) offer little inspiration. Pelfrey has lost both with 13 runs allowed in eight innings and two runs of support.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/preview?gameId=360426106

And with that, got other things to do till about 9, check in on em later.

Several Detroit Red Wings, including Justin Abdelkader, Luke Glendening, Kyle Quincey, Brendan Smith and Darren Helm attended the Tigers game tonight. They met Hall of Famer Al Kaline in the locker room and posed for pictures with Miguel Cabrera on the field during batting practice.

With Miggy's 2 Homeruns last night, Cabrera now has had multi-homer games in all 14 of his big league seasons. According to Elias, only Willie McCovey (17 straight seasons) and Dave Kingman (16) have had a longer run of multi-homer seasons.

Last edited:
Saved a homerun at the wall in left by Upton. Little bobble and then caught it.

Loopy curve by a's pitcher hill is catching the Tigers batters watching it, keeping them off-balance.

Two bad plays by Iggy, dropped ball at second on stolen base by reddick, and ground ball hits off his glove at short and scores.

Defense turning to crap this top of the 4th.

Pelfrey grooved a pitch for rbi single 3 - 0,

Last edited:
Miguel Cabrera thought he had time out. He was rubbing nose on his sleeve when Rich Hill got called third strike from plate ump Mark Wegner.

Well I see the tigers got shut down by another soft tos'en lefty again, anyone surprised?

Well I see the tigers got shut down by another soft tos'en lefty again, anyone surprised?

Had them off balance most all of the Tigers at bats. Weird out by Miggy last inning, whether he called for time or not, quick pitched, another soft tosser beats them.

Had them off balance most all of the Tigers at bats. Weird out by Miggy last inning, whether he called for time or not, quick pitched, another soft tosser beats them.

I wonder if they've ever considered have a soft tossing lefty arm throw them a steady diet of breaking balls and curves before they face one in a start, I'd have to guess they are about 3-57 now or something since 2011-12 against these soft lefties, give or take

Last edited:
Victor drives it to deep center and burns gets close to the wall and short arms it off the edge of his glove, Kinsler scores, 5 - 1. No shutout anyways.

STREAKS AND STATS:
Ian Kinsler has at least one hit in 16 of the Tigers 18 games played this year. It was also his 10th multi-hit game of the season.

Victor Martinez's RBI double in the ninth gave him two hits on the night, marking the third straight game in which he's finished with a multi-hit game.

This group of players has no clubhouse leadership, the role vacated by Torii Hunter.

True..i think others have tried to take the role but they just aren't naturals at it and it hasn't happened. There are no solutions, no answers, lost causes are lost causes. Or something..3-6 at home now...bleh..honestly I think they prefer to be on the road, they relax more and don't feel as pressured to preform, the sun doesn't shine enough around here the shite hole is too repressive I don't see how that ever changes

Last edited:
It is early, but the execution isn't there. DET cannot "wear down" the opposing pitcher, unless he is a fastball pitcher. They cannot consistently get runners in scoring position. And when they do, how often do they get thrown out?

Last 10 years Offense RISP vs Pitching RISP (not including last night)

2007 = 28.3% vs 26.5%
2008 = 26.3% vs 28.4%
2009 = 25.7% vs 26.7%
2010 = 28.0% vs 26.2%
2011 = 27.5% vs 25.5%
2012 = 26.1% vs 25.6%
2013 = 27.2% vs 25.0%
2014 = 26.5% vs 26.6%
2015 = 25.2% vs 25.3%
2016 = 23.8% vs 27.9%

They are current offensively on pace to be the worst in the last 10 years. Pitching, they are on pace to being 2nd to the worst.

Upton in the 2 hole has been brutal. Move him out and drop Kinsler to the 2 hole. Have Gose leadoff against RHP and have Iggy leadoff against LHP. It isn't perfect, but it should generate more opportunities with RISP

Back