Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

A's @ Tigers 4-26-2016 Game 19

He's pitching rather well. Just that one bad start and of course Zimmerman. We need one more guy to step up..

And they need to replace Green. He's just not getting it done.

He's pitching rather well. Just that one bad start and of course Zimmerman. We need one more guy to step up..

JV has had one good game, one average game, one slightly above average game and one shitty game. He has been OK.

JV has had one good game, one average game, one slightly above average game and one shitty game. He has been OK.

You don't need 5 studs. JV fits in nicely. Sanchez has been a disappointment - I thought he could get back to his 2012 season.

All you need is your pitchers to give the team a chance to win, I think JV does that. But with the woeful hitting you need to be stud like. Unfortunate.

You don't need 5 studs. JV fits in nicely. Sanchez has been a disappointment - I thought he could get back to his 2012 season.

All you need is your pitchers to give the team a chance to win, I think JV does that. But with the woeful hitting you need to be stud like. Unfortunate.

he is being paid to be a stud.

he is being paid to be a stud.

So is Sanchez, and Stafford, and Datsyuk. None of them get it or got it done. It happens. We know in sports players get paid on past performances. Nothing you can do about it. But at least JV gives you a chance.

So is Sanchez, and Stafford, and Datsyuk. None of them get it or got it done. It happens. We know in sports players get paid on past performances. Nothing you can do about it. But at least JV gives you a chance.

Sanchez is being paid to be a #3 pitcher, over $12M less a year than JV. JV was the opening day starter....he is expected to be the ace of the staff.

Sanchez is being paid to be a #3 pitcher, over $12M less a year than JV. JV was the opening day starter....he is expected to be the ace of the staff.

So you are basing your assessment of "ace" or "non-ace", as the case may be, on 4 starts?

So you are basing your assessment of "ace" or "non-ace", as the case may be, on 4 starts?

no...I am saying that he is expected to be the ace. He may or may not live up to those expectations...it's too early to tell. All I said is he's been OK so far.

He's not going to live up to his money. Few do.

you are right...he is the 3rd highest paid pitcher in MLB. He doesn't have to live up to that...be the 3rd best pitcher. But for this Tigers team to have any sort of success this year, he HAS to be better than average.

Like I said...he is expected to be the ace...he needs to perform somewhere close to "ace" status for the team to have success.

you are right...he is the 3rd highest paid pitcher in MLB. He doesn't have to live up to that...be the 3rd best pitcher. But for this Tigers team to have any sort of success this year, he HAS to be better than average.

Like I said...he is expected to be the ace...he needs to perform somewhere close to "ace" status for the team to have success.

Honestly I'm not sure anyone, outside yourself, expects him to be a ace. In any event. He's not at fault. He's the least of all our problems. Upton is not suppose to k twice a game. Gose is not suppose to completely suck.. It's baseball, it's like a box of chocolate - you know the rest :nod:

Last edited:

Greene had 1 rough start and 1 good start. He was pitching well in his 3rd start before the blister took him out.

Quality Starts (anything above 60% is great, 50% average)

Zimmermann 4 of 4 100%
Verlander 3 of 4 75%

Greene 1 of 3 33.3%
Pelfrey 1 of 4 25.0%
Sanchez 0 of 4 00.0%

Team Totals
2016 = 9 of 19 47.4% (48.5% AL AVG)
2015 = 72 of 161 44.7% (50.1% AL AVG)
2014 = 90 of 162 55.6% (51.4% AL AVG)
2013 = 108 of 162 66.7% (51.2% AL AVG)
2012 = 90 of 162 55.6% (50.0% AL AVG)
2011 = 90 of 162 55.6% (52.9% AL AVG)
2010 = 79 of 162 48.4% (52.9% AL AVG)
2009 = 73 of 163 44.8% (46.0% AL AVG)
2008 = 67 of 162 41.4% (48.1% AL AVG)
2007 = 71 of 162 43.8% (48.2% AL AVG)

In general terms, average is your #3 starter. So in terms of Quality Starts, #3 = 50%.

Back