Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers talking to San Fran about J.D.

Seems like we want to trade everyone of value. Are we going for youth or experience? I haven't been paying close attention.

By getting rid of the shitty vets, not the talented vets. No JV or Miggy next season I'm outta here..

but nobody wants shitty vets. You have to trade something of value to get value in return.

Miggy isn't going anywhere. If JV is moved it will be for a good return. I really doubt either of them get moved.

but nobody wants shitty vets. You have to trade something of value to get value in return.

Miggy isn't going anywhere. If JV is moved it will be for a good return. I really doubt either of them get moved.

JV needs to be here until he retires.. People will be pissed.

Value = cost relative to production

Cost includes salary and players needed to give up in trade

The Tigers have but 2-3 players whose salary are valuable to another team and worth trading players for. Kinsler, J.D. and K-Rod. Trading a player like Verlander and/or Cabrera, aside from the no-trade issues, would require DET to take on salary in return or also pickup some of their remaining salaries. That would mean DET isn't getting the same value in return.

Trading J.D. or Kinsler isn't going to hurt as much as some think. Actually, getting rid of Maybin's and J.D.'s porous defense might equal the falloff in offense. Kinsler, at soon to be 35, could not have any higher value than right now. He will be hard pressed to match his 2016 output, let alone any replacement. So whoever is playing 2B for DET in 2017, isn't going to match the 2016 production anyways.

Players like Pelfrey, Lowe and Anibal Sanchez are not worth anything to another team. Even Justin Upton has a no-trade clause to 20 teams. That means you probably have just 9 teams at max that might be possible. And then, would they want a $22 Mil streaky player that plays horrible defense?

Or, you could attempt to trade a salary arbitration player like Nick Castellanos, betting that his 2016 season was a fluke, hoping some other team will bite.

Last edited:
I tend to agree. This team isn't going anywhere with or without the likes of a JD, Ian, or KRod. It's going to be a long and painful reminder every year how we can't score from first on a double, catch the ball in the cavernous gaps, drive in scoring position runs or get out of jams towards the end of games. This team was built horribly and I have been saying it for years.

Well sadly, they haven't gone anywhere with all of these superstars either. Lots of pomp for a couple of WS appearances where they were embarrassed soundly.

Well sadly, they haven't gone anywhere with all of these superstars either. Lots of pomp for a couple of WS appearances where they were embarrassed soundly.

They might not of won but don't tell me 2006 wasn't a great season and memory. The same reason for keeping JV. It would be nice to have a team grown player who spent his entire career here.. I know I would love it.. We can get younger and lower the salary without trading JV.

Just throwing this out there. JD for Derek Law, Jarrett Parker and Tyler Beede.

Law (26 yrs old reliever) and Parker (28 yrs old AAAA OFer) would be "throw ins" in most deals. Beede is a #4-5 starter at best. If I was the Giants I would jump at that deal. Being a Tigers' fan, I would be pissed.

Reb, what do you think we could get from SF for JD? I was looking and it looks like they only have 1 prospect better than Beede, the shortstop and maybe Blach out of the bullpen. I'm sure we don't want to pick up any salary

Reb, what do you think we could get from SF for JD? I was looking and it looks like they only have 1 prospect better than Beede, the shortstop and maybe Blach out of the bullpen. I'm sure we don't want to pick up any salary

Blach is 26 and repeated AAA. He is a low K guy in the mold of Mike Pelfrey. Pass.

Christian Arroyo (21) would be a good start. He could play either SS or 2B.

Austin Slater (23) is a good RFer and would do well as J.D.'s replacement.

Take flame-thrower Joan Gregorio (24) in a deal and turn him into a late-inning reliever. He is another pitcher with electric stuff who has stamina/pitch economy issues.

I look at SFG's farm and see plenty of "young" options. I could probably list another 6 or so players from their minors who would be viable additions.

I'm all for blowing it up, and as soon as possible.

We aren't going to win a championship (or probably make the playoffs) as currently constructed, so the sooner we start the descent, the sooner we hit bottom, the sooner we can start back on the upswing.

Does anyone know if there is any substance to the Victor Martinez trade rumors?

Back