Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Off season moves

tomdalton22

I was listening to Power Alley on MLB radio this morning. They were talking about their 5 most interesting teams this off season. One of the hosts (maybe Duquette) said he heard that the Maybin trade is the tip of the iceberg. He said any and all are available. He mentioned the possibility of Miggy or JV to Boston, JD to the Dodgers and Kinsler somewhere too.

Obviously he just heard rumors but it is interesting.

I sure hope AA is a wheeler dealer . Gotta get younger, leaner and faster and better outfield defense.

I was listening to Power Alley on MLB radio this morning. They were talking about their 5 most interesting teams this off season. One of the hosts (maybe Duquette) said he heard that the Maybin trade is the tip of the iceberg. He said any and all are available. He mentioned the possibility of Miggy or JV to Boston, JD to the Dodgers and Kinsler somewhere too.

Obviously he just heard rumors but it is interesting.

I also heard this in my travels today.

Problem with this getting younger and leaner is imo the players they field at the positions won't score as many runs. It is one thing to get more athletic players to cover a larger outfield etc. They have not drafted those kind of players. Most have come in trades. These teams that have overtaken the Tigers in standings have faster better defensive players, and more disciplined players as compared to poor defensive and OOZ chasers like Moya and company.

I also do not think that they will get enough from Boston trading Miggy or JV there. I just don't have confidence in Avila and the Tigers front office to get a good haul,
as much as I personally do not want either JV or Miggy traded.

Last edited:
The problems, other teams don't and won't trade their young studs to get back 34 year old veterans. The best you're going to get back is potential like when we got Miggy in the first place, a young Miggy at that.. How'd that work out for the Marlins?

The problems, other teams don't and won't trade their young studs to get back 34 year old veterans. The best you're going to get back is potential like when we got Miggy in the first place, a young Miggy at that.. How'd that work out for the Marlins?

This is why I didn't want to start the miggy hof thread yet and start tracking his carrer rankings..if he's not here next year I'm no longer going to give a shit

What is your opinion on Christin Stewart?

Stewart will end up being an Curtis Granderson type player at a minimum. Stewart has a great plate discipline and raw power. His BAVG will not be that great, because of the holes in his swing, but he will have a high OBP and great SLG. As most lefthanded hitters, he will have difficulties against LHP.

Ideally, he should start 2017 either in AA or AAA. He will either end the year in AAA, or he will end it with the Tigers, even with a possible mid-season callup. If they unload Upton and/or J.D., I think he will get rushed. How he handles it will be important, but if he handles it well, fans won't miss whoever he replaces.

Stewart will end up being an Curtis Granderson type player at a minimum. Stewart has a great plate discipline and raw power. His BAVG will not be that great, because of the holes in his swing, but he will have a high OBP and great SLG. As most lefthanded hitters, he will have difficulties against LHP.

Ideally, he should start 2017 either in AA or AAA. He will either end the year in AAA, or he will end it with the Tigers, even with a possible mid-season callup. If they unload Upton and/or J.D., I think he will get rushed. How he handles it will be important, but if he handles it well, fans won't miss whoever he replaces.

Thanks for the breakdown. I saw he has hit well in the minor leagues.

I wish that the mid-market Tigers could mold the franchise to become more like the Giants and Cardinals, but that is not possible in the power-pitching, homer-happy AL with a DH and the NL having more situationally built rosters, with emphasis on PH benches and long-relief bullpens.

I hope that they aren't going all-in on what works for small-market franchises like the Royals, Rays, Twins, Marlins, and Indians, who dump players as soon as they get expensive. Seems like they and the White Sox, Angels, Blue Jays, and Rangers just never quite figure out how to balance shit out enough to do more than contend off and on, but epic fail at some point when in the postseason.

Looks like the Cubs will at looong last, finally join their big-spending, big-market brethren in the Dodgers, Phillies, Mets, Nats, Red Sox, and Yankees from now on.

Last edited:
Well I just looked at the top 50 free agent list and it looked putrid. If the tigers were ever going to break this thing up a bit its this off season.

The dodgers seem like a natural trade partner. Need an elite pitcher next to Kershaw, blackhole at 2nd base. Lack of a right hand power bat. They have plenty of young talent, especially positional players.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

The Tigers just signed Romine to a $1.3M deal...WS here we come!!!

Well, they did offer arbitration and he cannot take a pay cut with arbitration, so what did you expect? Most forecasts had him at $1.2 Mil and these forecasts are usually +or- $300k.

Well, they did offer arbitration and he cannot take a pay cut with arbitration, so what did you expect? Most forecasts had him at $1.2 Mil and these forecasts are usually +or- $300k.

I was hoping they wouldn't even sign him. I don't know why they offered him arb.

A team that should contend, should have bench players that could start for a noncontender team. So what do the tigers do. They have bench players starting in there lineup! How in the world can they contend against a good team?

What I have read on Christin Stewart is all that, but also his defense in a corner OF spot leaves alot to be desired. Another DH type.
If we didn't like Raburn/Mudhen/Shinebox in the OF we won't like Stewart.

What I have read on Christin Stewart is all that, but also his defense in a corner OF spot leaves alot to be desired. Another DH type.
If we didn't like Raburn/Mudhen/Shinebox in the OF we won't like Stewart.

I don't expect Stewart to be much defensively, but he probably not going to be Delmon Young. Additionally, Stewart is pretty much limited to LF and with Upton, there is no place to play them both in LF. Upton CANNOT play anywhere but LF as well and Stewart is on par with Upton as far as LF defense.

I don't expect Stewart to be much defensively, but he probably not going to be Delmon Young. Additionally, Stewart is pretty much limited to LF and with Upton, there is no place to play them both in LF. Upton CANNOT play anywhere but LF as well and Stewart is on par with Upton as far as LF defense.

Hopefully Upton has a stellar year and opts out of his contract.

Back