Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Alex Avila back on a 1 year deal

Well I don't like either of the catchers. The problems are several.
We have a dumb ass manager who will use McCann regularly vs. RHP's, and with Avila back he will use alex vs. LHP's.
For some games it will be necessary but not to the degree it was before 2016 season.

McCann should start every game a lefty is starting, Alex should start 70 percent of games with a right handed pitcher starting. with McCann biting th bullet for the other games. Is a 80/80 game split possible? or will Ausmus start McCann more like 100/110 games and Avila the rest.

Both have high strikeout rates. McCann chases too many pitches low and low and away, Avila chases low and belt high to letter high and he can't catch up to them.

All this talk about Avila and his good or high OBP. It's not that great imo,
and what f'n good is he when he takes a walk? He is station to station, maybe a half a step faster that Victor the turtle.

I'm not happy with this team and front office.

I agree with most of this. I just worry about what happnes WHEN Avila gets injured. Because it will happen and then we're left with McCann starting against most RHP again.

McCann is the future catcher of this team, Avila is not. That's about the end of the discussion, is it not?

McCann is the future catcher of this team, Avila is not. That's about the end of the discussion, is it not?

If a catcher was the present and future of this team he would be able to hit same handed pitchers as he bats. He is a platoon catcher. Even at his age when a player is entering his prime, will he hit more homeruns, sure, maybe, but he is already set in his ways.

McCann .228 .263 .307 .570

Freehan .248 .324 .384 .708

Parrish .241 .299 .418 .717

Rodriguez .292 .326 .458 .784

Personally, my biggest beef with Avila is that he's a slug that can't stay healthy. That's my opinion and I'm done with this matter. Your obsession with him is concerning. I'm seriously not trying to troll you with that comment either. You just seem to spend a lot of time defending a marginal player who's skills have only got worse each of the last 6 years. He's at the point now where his starts are cherry picked for the perfect matchups and he's still not really doing much.

I do not have an obsession with him. But there are certainly a few that have an obsession with Avila. Holes in game = injuries? That's a new one.

As far as cherry picked, in case you missed it:

TOTAL for the last 3 years (750 PA minimum, 37 catchers qualify)

WAR

t20. A. Avila
t29. J. Saltalamacchia
32. J. McCann
37. B. Pena

Total Offense

14. A. Avila 96 wRC+ .311 wOBA
24. J. Saltalamacchia 88 wRC+ .301 wOBA
32. B. Pena 78 wRC+ .278 wOBA
34. J. McCann 76 wRC+ .286 wOBA

I am tired of all the stupid, ignorant comments people make against Avila. I have stated numerous times he is not an All Star and 2011 was a "fluke". So get over it. People expect Avila to be 2011 self.

Avila should never start against a LHP and McCann should never, ever start against RHP.

That's about it. If McCann is the future of anything we're doomed. Platoon at best. Avila vs RHP, McCann vs LHP. If anyone thinks differently please take a look at their numbers. I implore you.

McCann being the future of the team is the reason for the discussion, not the end to it.

That's about it. If McCann is the future of anything we're doomed. Platoon at best. Avila vs RHP, McCann vs LHP. If anyone thinks differently please take a look at their numbers. I implore you.

There is only one problem with that thinking. Ausmus. He doesn't have that common sense logical thinking.

The bottom line...the catching situation isn't the reason the Tigers are or aren't going to win next year. They have bigger problems to deal with.

The bottom line...the catching situation isn't the reason the Tigers are or aren't going to win next year. They have bigger problems to deal with.

So you might as well stick to it, eh? There's a lot wrong with this team, C is one of them.

So you might as well stick to it, eh? There's a lot wrong with this team, C is one of them.

I guess they could try to fix it, but it's one of the only positions with a low salary (+- $2.5M for the position). The team is trying to cut costs to get below the luxury tax threshold.

I do not have an obsession with him. But there are certainly a few that have an obsession with Avila. Holes in game = injuries? That's a new one.

As far as cherry picked, in case you missed it:

TOTAL for the last 3 years (750 PA minimum, 37 catchers qualify)

WAR

t20. A. Avila
t29. J. Saltalamacchia
32. J. McCann
37. B. Pena

Total Offense

14. A. Avila 96 wRC+ .311 wOBA
24. J. Saltalamacchia 88 wRC+ .301 wOBA
32. B. Pena 78 wRC+ .278 wOBA
34. J. McCann 76 wRC+ .286 wOBA

I am tired of all the stupid, ignorant comments people make against Avila. I have stated numerous times he is not an All Star and 2011 was a "fluke". So get over it. People expect Avila to be 2011 self.

Avila should never start against a LHP and McCann should never, ever start against RHP.

This is my last comment on this thread. My fucking opinion of Avila is that he's a sloth that can't make contact with a baseball. On top of that he can't stay healthy and that will put us in a bind when McCann has to play against most RHP because Alex is on the DL. Why is it so hard for you to allow others to express their opinions? Actually, don't bother answering me or cherry picking some random stats because I'm tired of your schtick and I'm using the ignore option for the first time since I've been on this forum. Congrats!!! :cheers:

I guess they could try to fix it, but it's one of the only positions with a low salary (+- $2.5M for the position). The team is trying to cut costs to get below the luxury tax threshold.

My only problem is they thought he was worth nothing so he went elsewhere and now they bring him back? I suspect they know now how shitty McCann really is. And they're suppose to get young s well and saving cap.

Last edited:
This is my last comment on this thread. My fucking opinion of Avila is that he's a sloth that can't make contact with a baseball. On top of that he can't stay healthy and that will put us in a bind when McCann has to play against most RHP because Alex is on the DL. Why is it so hard for you to allow others to express their opinions? Actually, don't bother answering me or cherry picking some random stats because I'm tired of your schtick and I'm using the ignore option for the first time since I've been on this forum. Congrats!!! :cheers:

You can have an opinion. But you lack the ability to discuss that opinion without throwing a 2-year old tantrum. You trolled into this discussion and now want to make a scene.

I've never seen a city like Detroit, no matter what sport, that is so incredibly fascinated with bringing back their old veterans.

Why do I get the feeling Austin Jackson is coming back as thier anwser to platoon CF next...hope is just gas

Why do I get the feeling Austin Jackson is coming back as thier anwser to platoon CF next...hope is just gas

I saw on one site that Jackson's market value was $7 million. I don't see how that would be part of the Tigers plans.

If we are looking for a vet, give me Michael Bourn. He played last year for $507,000. More affordable contract for a CF that you know will get hurt at some point.

Last edited:
What a slap in the face to the fans of this team, Avila is fucking putrid garbage.

Really Tom? You are going to cite an ESPN article that is using BAVG and counting stats? There is virtually no merit in posting that, either by ESPN or by you.

Chicks dig the long ball. (And simple stats)

Back