Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

LOL @ Brendan Gibbons

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was not only pre-Sandusky but post-Duke lacrosse. If she dropped the charges then the school and team were not going to suspend the player.

Now, if the reason she dropped charges was due to threats, then the police, school, and team needd to investigate those threats in addition to the rape allegations. But all of that would have needed to be done before Hoke. Once Hoke came into the mix, all of these things were at a point where his hands were kind of tied. Can't just kick a player off the team due to something that happened previously and charges were dropped. You can keep the kid on a very short leash, but Hoke would have needed another issue to come up.

Still, as stated before, IF all this is true, I would rather he have a career ending injury than make even an extra point for UM.

Wow
Just wow

Never heard rumors of this

If thus happened under RR and admin allowed it, wonder if he got any punishment

Hike cannot go back as he was not here can only keep the tight leash

But still wow

This is bullshit. Come on, seriously? Washtenwatchdogs? what kind of a shady website is that? it looks like a bunch of conspiracy b.s.

Does anyone really think Taylor Lewan would call and threaten her that he'd come and rape her again if she moved forward? And do you really think that she wouldn't turn them both in if this was true? She'd have phone records that Lewan called and he'd be just as screwed as Gibbons.

This is bullshit. Come on, seriously? Washtenwatchdogs? what kind of a shady website is that? it looks like a bunch of conspiracy b.s.

Does anyone really think Taylor Lewan would call and threaten her that he'd come and rape her again if she moved forward? And do you really think that she wouldn't turn them both in if this was true? She'd have phone records that Lewan called and he'd be just as screwed as Gibbons.

Actually, if you read the UM police reports, he made the threats twice in public with lots of witnesses. It was two of his football teamates who reported the threats to the Office of Student Affairs, who then reported it to the campus police.

Really a guy with only 3 post is on here saying this and using a BS website and no one else anything foul.

If this was any way true no one involved would still be playing for UM, Hoke wouldn't stand for it. This is Michigan not Ohio or Florida.

DC 33

Really a guy with only 3 post is on here saying this and using a BS website and no one else anything foul.

If this was any way true no one involved would still be playing for UM, Hoke wouldn't stand for it. This is Michigan not Ohio or Florida.

DC 33

I am not sure what you believe that I am making up. Do you think I made up the mug shot or the police reports?

Brendan Gibbons admitted to having sex with her that night. He only argued that it was consensual but she had physical injuries (vaginal tearing and bruises on her arm). She reported the rape immediately and had an immediate rape examination at the hospital. These are all documented in the police investigation. You are free to decide if you believe what she reported or not but all of the documentation was obtained from FOIA'ed police reports.

police reports that are posted online are not hard to fake. There is no way that anyone would allow gibbons and lewan to stay at michigan if this is true. it'd hurt the school and our reputation. Even if it was just accused, if there was any kind of evidence, he'd be screwed. the mug shot looks real. maybe he got a dui or was in a fight. it could have been anything.

I have a hard time believing that Taylor Lewan would call and threaten to rape a woman that accuses a freshman kicker (that sucked at the time) of raping her.

I'm very troubled by what hailhail says. I also find it extremely hard to understand how it would be possible. In an ambiguous situation with partial information, I'd expect overreaction at Michigan before underreaction. I'd expect a Duke Lacrosse situation before I'd expect for something to get swept under the rug.

Was there anything in the Daily?

police reports that are posted online are not hard to fake. There is no way that anyone would allow gibbons and lewan to stay at michigan if this is true. it'd hurt the school and our reputation. Even if it was just accused, if there was any kind of evidence, he'd be screwed. the mug shot looks real. maybe he got a dui or was in a fight. it could have been anything.

I have a hard time believing that Taylor Lewan would call and threaten to rape a woman that accuses a freshman kicker (that sucked at the time) of raping her.

Look at the bottom of the mug shot. It says the charges are CSC (criminal sexual conduct)

I certainly would not have the imagination to fake all of the details in the police report and if I had, I am sure that Gibbons, Lewan and the University would be suing me by now. I first spoke about this at the November 2011 meeting of the Board of Regents. They have never disputed my remarks.

Taylor Lewan's comments were not made in a phone call. He made them in the lobby of the dormitory in front of many witnesses. Two of his teamates reported him to the campus police. The two police reports from the campus police document the threats.

I'm very troubled by what hailhail says. I also find it extremely hard to understand how it would be possible. In an ambiguous situation with partial information, I'd expect overreaction at Michigan before underreaction. I'd expect a Duke Lacrosse situation before I'd expect for something to get swept under the rug.

Was there anything in the Daily?

The Ann Arbor police department, contrary to their procedures in less high profile cases, refused to give the name of the football player that was arrested so they could only make an short anonymous report.
http://www.annarbor.com/news/university-of-michigan-student-arrested-after-reported-sexual-assault/

The University administration's knee jerk reaction is always to protect the institution. They were happy to sweep it under the rug.

I worked at the Daily at the time (was still relatively new there though). There was nothing in there. Like I said, there are things that I know, things that I don't quite know but feel pretty strongly about, and things I can only really only speculate on.

Things I know for certain: His freshman year, Gibbons was moved out of West Quad after he allegedly raped a young woman. I don't remember exactly when this happened but I think it was sometime shortly after the season. He admitted to my friends (who knew him but no longer associate with him) that some impropriety occured (I can't tell you exactly what form this took). There were rumors going around online (including some on the old ESPN board) at the time that a player was going to be kicked off the team/suspended/be facing criminal charges (once again I don't remember the exact content of these rumors -- though I do explicitly remember an OSU fan on our board claiming to have some inside knowledge linking Gibbons to the exact rumors I had direct knowledge of).

Things I feel strongly about but don't know for certain: even if he didn't rape her, I feel pretty strongly that something inappropriate and probably criminal occured.

Things I don't know/can only speculate on: what his exact punishment was (besides being moved out of WQ, which definitely happened), and why the University, AD, coaches, didn't kick him off the team or if any further investigations were done.

I forgot to mention that Taylor Lewan and Brendan Gibbons are best friends. It was Lewan who told Gibbons that the victim was accusing him of rape.

I worked at the Daily at the time (was still relatively new there though). There was nothing in there. Like I said, there are things that I know, things that I don't quite know but feel pretty strongly about, and things I can only really only speculate on.

Things I know for certain: His freshman year, Gibbons was moved out of West Quad after he allegedly raped a young woman. I don't remember exactly when this happened but I think it was sometime shortly after the season. He admitted to my friends (who knew him but no longer associate with him) that some impropriety occured (I can't tell you exactly what form this took). There were rumors going around online (including some on the old ESPN board) at the time that a player was going to be kicked off the team/suspended/be facing criminal charges (once again I don't remember the exact content of these rumors -- though I do explicitly remember an OSU fan on our board claiming to have some inside knowledge linking Gibbons to the exact rumors I had direct knowledge of).

Things I feel strongly about but don't know for certain: even if he didn't rape her, I feel pretty strongly that something inappropriate and probably criminal occured.

Things I don't know/can only speculate on: what his exact punishment was (besides being moved out of WQ, which definitely happened), and why the University, AD, coaches, didn't kick him off the team or if any further investigations were done.

Thank you for the information. Do you know why the Daily never covered the story? The girl became well known to the Daily staff because she became very active in sexual assault prevention. The AA.com editors said they didn't cover it because they could never get the police to confirm that it was Gibbons.

Look at the bottom of the mug shot. It says the charges are CSC (criminal sexual conduct)

I certainly would not have the imagination to fake all of the details in the police report and if I had, I am sure that Gibbons, Lewan and the University would be suing me by now. I first spoke about this at the November 2011 meeting of the Board of Regents. They have never disputed my remarks.

Taylor Lewan's comments were not made in a phone call. He made them in the lobby of the dormitory in front of many witnesses. Two of his teamates reported him to the campus police. The two police reports from the campus police document the threats.

Why would they sweep this under the rug? That would endanger the school more than exposing it. A freshman kicker? You really think that they would go so far to cover up for a freshman kicker? Really? Are you some kind of moron? If the school took away his scholarship and forced him out of school, they would have no problems. Nobody coming after them, no idiot reporters snooping around. No blame.

You really think that if what you said about taylor lewan was true that nobody would come forward? If there were so many witnesses, why has this case stalled? All that would be required is one or two of them to come forward and the girl would have no problem pursuing charges. You also claim there was tearing and damage due to the rape. Again, all this proof, all these witnesses and nothing? Remember, a major university with everything to lose isn't going to cover up for a freshman kicker.

You think Lewan would actually threaten to rape a woman in a crowd of people? Seriously? That's the most unbelievable part to me. That's where you should threaten rape, in a dorm, full of witnesses.

I won't pretend that there's not a chance that Gibbons did rape this woman. But the idea that the U is covering this up or that Lewan threatened to rape her again while in a very public place is absolutely insane.

Why would they sweep this under the rug? That would endanger the school more than exposing it. A freshman kicker? You really think that they would go so far to cover up for a freshman kicker? Really? Are you some kind of moron? If the school took away his scholarship and forced him out of school, they would have no problems. Nobody coming after them, no idiot reporters snooping around. No blame.

You really think that if what you said about taylor lewan was true that nobody would come forward? If there were so many witnesses, why has this case stalled? All that would be required is one or two of them to come forward and the girl would have no problem pursuing charges. You also claim there was tearing and damage due to the rape. Again, all this proof, all these witnesses and nothing? Remember, a major university with everything to lose isn't going to cover up for a freshman kicker.

I can point you to the police reports that are posted on the WashtenawWatchdogs.com website but if you really think that I faked the police reports, I don't know what else I can do to convince you.

You think Lewan would actually threaten to rape a woman in a crowd of people? Seriously? That's the most unbelievable part to me. That's where you should threaten rape, in a dorm, full of witnesses.

I won't pretend that there's not a chance that Gibbons did rape this woman. But the idea that the U is covering this up or that Lewan threatened to rape her again while in a very public place is absolutely insane.

I can refer you to the police reports that are posted on the WashtenawWatchdogs.com website but if you really think I faked the police reports, I don't know what I can do to convince you.

I can refer you to the police reports that are posted on the WashtenawWatchdogs.com website but if you really think I faked the police reports, I don't know what I can do to convince you.

All I'm saying is that this is not a cover up by the University and the idea that Lewan would threaten a girl like that in front of so many people is ludicrous. I don't know who the fuck you are or how you found this board, but you're welcome to try to get actual proof. Convince the girl to move forward, take her story to someone who will listen. There are hundreds of legit news publications that would take on this story if even a shred of it was true.

I'm sure if there were, in fact, so many witnesses, somebody could let you in on who the girl is and where you can find her now. Go for it. I don't want a rapist on my team, but I certainly won't condemn him before I know the truth.

after re-reading the washtenwhateverblog....

it says that lewan's threats were reported to police by the school. What more do you want? A school can't get rid of someone unless there is a reason. The woman wouldn't press charges against Gibbons or Lewan, so what exactly is the U supposed to do? They did everything they were supposed to do, so don't act like it's all on them.

Gibbons did it. Lewan threatened. Assuming that's true, all she had to do is press charges. They'd both be screwed. Lewan would probably lose his scholarship at the very least and kicked out of school. Gibbons would be locked up and never welcomed back in AA. And the excuse of her being scared to lose her education is quite hilarious. I feel for her if this is true, but she'd rather risk living in the same area as the man who raped her and the man who threatened to rape her? She'd risk that just so she can have an education?

Thank you for the information. Do you know why the Daily never covered the story? The girl became well known to the Daily staff because she became very active in sexual assault prevention. The AA.com editors said they didn't cover it because they could never get the police to confirm that it was Gibbons.

The Daily is composed of a bunch of kids that get together to "play newspaper" every night. From my experience there, especially those covering the big three major sports, the beat writers were just as concerned with developing personal relationships with athletes as they were with breaking any real news.

And in any case, what story are they actually going to run?

All I'm saying is that this is not a cover up by the University and the idea that Lewan would threaten a girl like that in front of so many people is ludicrous. I don't know who the fuck you are or how you found this board, but you're welcome to try to get actual proof. Convince the girl to move forward, take her story to someone who will listen. There are hundreds of legit news publications that would take on this story if even a shred of it was true.

I'm sure if there were, in fact, so many witnesses, somebody could let you in on who the girl is and where you can find her now. Go for it. I don't want a rapist on my team, but I certainly won't condemn him before I know the truth.

I know who the girl is. She has contacted me and thanked me for speaking up for her at the Board of Regents meeting. She is unwilling to go through as public a trial as this would be and she was intimidated by all the threats she was getting. She wanted the University to pursue charges through the student disciplinary hearing process, which would have been private but the University administrators told her that they would not proceed since she did not follow through on the criminal charges.

after re-reading the washtenwhateverblog....

it says that lewan's threats were reported to police by the school. What more do you want? A school can't get rid of someone unless there is a reason. The woman wouldn't press charges against Gibbons or Lewan, so what exactly is the U supposed to do? They did everything they were supposed to do, so don't act like it's all on them.

Gibbons did it. Lewan threatened. Assuming that's true, all she had to do is press charges. They'd both be screwed. Lewan would probably lose his scholarship at the very least and kicked out of school. Gibbons would be locked up and never welcomed back in AA. And the excuse of her being scared to lose her education is quite hilarious. I feel for her if this is true, but she'd rather risk living in the same area as the man who raped her and the man who threatened to rape her? She'd risk that just so she can have an education?

I would expect that they would have proceded with student code of conduct hearings as she requested. The Dept. of Education, last year, wrote a letter requiring such changes in how universities dealt with sexual assault allegations. Under the Universities new rules, they have told me that they would never handle a case this way again. However, until another difficult case comes along, I am skeptical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back