Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Justin Verlander finishes 2nd in AL Cy Young race

Of the top three finishers, Verlander was the only one left off any ballots - Porcello and Kluber were included on all of them.

Britton finished fourth and was excluded from a number of them.

Of the rest receiving votes, all were excluded from some to most of the ballots.

Verlander would have needed to have a third place vote and and a second place vote on the ballots from which he was excluded to tie Porcello, and at least a third place vote on both of them to have won.

Porcello had the best run support of all the vote getters, Verlander had the lowest.

22-4 is a pretty tough winning percentage for Verlander to have overcome.

It ranks as 36th best of all time; Scherzer's Cy Young season with the Tigers ranks at 13th.

Scherzer had some real good run support that season himself.

Two former Tiger pitchers win it this year.

You win some; you lose some.

Last edited:
Weather he missed one, two or three starts...it appears to me that he had his mind made up and there was probably some kind of bias. Maybe he was being overly loyal to the AL east? I'm sure there is bias for beat writers when voting for the guys they cover but I really haven't heard of bias against someone. Who knows....maybe it was stuck in his head that Porcello was 5-0 in 6 starts vs. TB.

Yup. And maybe he could have sent his ballot in right after the All Star break. I mean, what difference would it make?

Yup. And maybe he could have sent his ballot in right after the All Star break. I mean, what difference would it make?

none. When voting, some people make up their minds without thinking about it. Look at our presidential election...some people just vote for the letter in front of the name.

Back