Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2016 Tigers

in game decisions are a very small percentage of what makes an effective manager. Managing the players / egos in the clubhouse is his main job.

So Ausmus was a rookie manager when he started and never coached or managed at any level before. Did being a player give him this baseline understanding? If so, then any past player could be a MLB manager and not face criticism.

Actually, they don't make the smart percentage play. An example is bunt sacrifices. Run expectancy diminishes if employed, but many still use it. That is just one. Francona is bucking all tradition and using Andrew Miller in a non-traditional role. But statistically speaking, that is when you want to use your best reliever, the high leverage situations.

You and I agree on many aspects. Players need to perform and a vast majority of this is on them. I have never said otherwise. You put more importance on injuries than I do. But to not say a manager has an impact is being short-sighted. You cannot control injuries and who or when they will happen in a general sense. You can control who manages.

As for former players, it's a cliche but it's true that catchers have a better idea of baseball strategy than other positions. That doesn't mean that other positions don't know the game but catchers have an edge. Ausmus was a front office guy after his playing days and seems smarter that your average player. He has done a good job of keeping the clubhouse together. I think he's handled issues with Iglesias, rondon, and upton relatively well

you can't just go off run expectancy charts as much as they influence my thinking. It depends on who the hitter is and the channce they'd make one or two outs, the potential run scoring environment, speed, etc. That obviously all comes into play, I'm not telling you anything you don't know.

I love what Francona is doing with Miller, unfortunately agents and save numbers matter. The Indians have the luxury of an elite reliever that's not a 9th inning guy. I wish we'd use our best reliever in the 8th against 2-3-4 or use platoon advantages in late game situations. Almost all managers handle these situations imperfectly, due to agents, at least to me. The one positive I guess is that almost no other teams use relievers optimally so it's not hurting us.

My point all along is not that Ausmus is a great manager. I think he's suitable and it doesn't matter much.

Last edited:
And just think if the team had better outfield defense , and could run the bases and play fundemetal baseball my guess is the make the playoffs easy. OH Yeah I Forgot A MANAGER has nothing to do with lineups, or strategy or basic baseball 101. Team should have coasted to at least wildcard.. They certainly underachieved.
Totally agree...

As for former players, it's a cliche but it's true that catchers have a better idea of baseball strategy than other positions. That doesn't mean that other positions don't know the game but catchers have an edge. Ausmus was a front office guy after his playing days and seems smarter that your average player. He has done a good job of keeping the clubhouse together. I think he's handled issues with Iglesias, rondon, and upton relatively well

you can't just go off run expectancy charts as much as they influence my thinking. It depends on who the hitter is and the channce they'd make one or two outs, the potential run scoring environment, speed, etc. That obviously all comes into play, I'm not telling you anything you don't know.

I love what Francona is doing with Miller, unfortunately agents and save numbers matter. The Indians have the luxury of an elite reliever that's not a 9th inning guy. I wish we'd use our best reliever in the 8th against 2-3-4 or use platoon advantages in late game situations. Almost all managers handle these situations imperfectly, due to agents, at least to me. The one positive I guess is that almost no other teams use relievers optimally so it's not hurting us.

My point all along is not that Ausmus is a great manager. I think he's suitable and it doesn't matter much.
I respect your opinion but you kind of give him a pass. Granted, he did a good job with the bullpen but at the end of the day, the team played poor defense, and ran the bases poorly. Huge components to championship baseball. I see these as fundamental baseball components and if players are not executing the basics well, it's on the coaching staff. If you look at the teams in the WS, they do this. Would the Tigers make the playoffs with Tito?

Given that the Tigers are going to be deconstructed, it now makes a little more sense that Ausmus was retained. IMO, he's not even marginally competent in the position, and he has demonstrated that time and again.

Back