Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers Will Cut Salary

Thundercats

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/10/al-avila-changes-are-coming-to-tigers.html

It seems like the Tigers will be trading off most large contracts that hold value. Kinsler is most likely to go, along with Verlander. Upton's second half surge could bring his value up as well. Dont see anyone taking Victor, Zimm, or Anibal. Avila wants to get younger and balance the team out better. I'm all for this, as long as we get good, young major league ready players.

I would think that JV, Kinsler and JD could fetch us quite a haul. JV would be a hard sell to the fans though.

We've got quite a few contracts coming off the books after next year, right?

I would think that JV, Kinsler and JD could fetch us quite a haul. JV would be a hard sell to the fans though.

Sanchez and Kinsler have team options after next season. Pelfrey and Lowe come off the books too

JD is the one we should be keeping.

Both Verlander and Cabrera are 10 and 5. They would have to approve a trade, which means it is highly unlikely they get traded unless it is to a serious perennial contender.

Kinlser and J.D. Martinez are the only two who have value in their contracts. No way Upton has any value. Zimmermann has to prove he is healthy. Who else have value? Castellanos maybe, but why trade him when he has cost controlled years?

Both Verlander and Cabrera are 10 and 5. They would have to approve a trade, which means it is highly unlikely they get traded unless it is to a serious perennial contender.

Kinlser and J.D. Martinez are the only two who have value in their contracts. No way Upton has any value. Zimmermann has to prove he is healthy. Who else have value? Castellanos maybe, but why trade him when he has cost controlled years?
I'd trade Castelanos because he is another right handed one dimensional player. Maybe if you pick up half of Sanchezes salary you can trade him off to a team desperate enough for pitching and include JD or Nick with the deal. That's if you get lucky though.

Would have to think they either let Maybin and krod walk or pick up their option and trade them. They won't be back

Keep maybin, let k-rod go, I'd welcome alex back he handles pitchers well, and draws walks, would be nice if they can find someone to take Sanchez, Lowe and pelfrey..and I hate to say it, this one really pains me but I'd completely understand if they dealt victor, preferably not to some one in the division, back to Boston to be their DH in place of that guy that retired, give Dave a call he'd prolly part with good prospects he's good at that

When I first saw this thread I thought

HOW

After seeing thee post I'm a thinking

How MUCH!

Victor is a 10 and 5 as well. I'm not sure about Sanchez as he been with the Tigers 4 and 12/31 games of the 2012 season.

As far as the money they are between the rock and the hard spot.
As far as age ( youth) they do not have the farm system to support going that way.

Last edited:
Keep maybin, let k-rod go, I'd welcome alex back he handles pitchers well, and draws walks, would be nice if they can find someone to take Sanchez, Lowe and pelfrey..and I hate to say it, this one really pains me but I'd completely understand if they dealt victor, preferably not to some one in the division, back to Boston to be their DH in place of that guy that retired, give Dave a call he'd prolly part with good prospects he's good at that
Red Sox have a DH, people forget they still have Pablo Sandoval because he missed the whole year. He still has a ridiculous contract and is a terrible defender

Probably best hope of getting rid of Victor is to Toronto or Baltimore if they loose Encarnacion/Trumbo in FA. Then you will still have to pick up half his contract and take next to nothing in return

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

AL restructuring the minor league scouting and drafting would be a good place to start . Hire some numbers guru guy or gal and please hire some coaches that teach fundamentals espically on the baseball paths. I'm all for parting was with Victor. It's time to move on from him.bullpen still needs reworked. Bench needs to be better. Agree with a Platoon with Mccan. Lean and mean and fast is ok with me. By all means try and get rid of the dead weight.

Last edited:
Here are my thoughts. Some guys are just untradeable based on what they make, Tigers would have to send a lot of money along with them. Those guys are:

Miguel Cabrera - 2016: $28 million, 2017: $28 million, 2018: $30 million, 2019: $30 million, 2020: $30 million, 2021: $30 million, 2022: $32 million, 2023: $32 million, 2024: $30 million vesting option, 2025: $30 million vesting option

Justin Verlander - 2016: $28 million, 2016: $28 million, 2017: $28 million, 2018: $28 million, 2019: $28 million, 2020: $22 million vesting option

Justin Upton - 2016: $22.125 million, 2017: $22.125 million, 2018: $22.125 million, 2019: $22.125 million, 2020: $22.125 million, 2021: $22.125 million, 2022: Free Agent

Jordan Zimmermann - 2016: $18 million, 2017: $18 million, 2018: $24 million, 2019: $25 million, 2020: $25 million, 2021: Free Agent

Guys that you could trade and would still have to send money with, but still a possibility:

Victor Martinez - 2016: $18 million, 2017: $18 million, 2018: $18 million, 2019: Free Agent

Anibal Sanchez - 2016: $16 million, 2017: $16 million, 2018: $16 million club option ($5 million buyout)

Guys that are basically dead weight:

Mike Pelfrey - 2016: $8 million, 2017: $8 million, 2018: Free Agent

Mark Lowe - 2016: $5.5 million, 2017: $5.5 million, 2018: Free Agent

Guys that could be easily traded but based on their salaries but should be kept:

Jose Iglesias - 2016: $2.1 million, 2017-18: Arb. Eligible, 2019: Free Agent

Nick Castellanos - 2016: Pre-arb. Eligible, 2017-19: Arb. Eligible, 2020: Free Agent

Others:

JD would get you a good return. But he is only under contract for 1 more year so in terms of freeing you up money doesn't make as much sense since it's only 1 more year at a bargain salary, IMO.
J.D. Martinez - 2016: $6.75 million, 2017: $11.75 million, 2018: Free Agent

Kinsler gets cheaper. He could get you a pretty good return but again this is probably a guy I keep around.
Ian Kinsler - 2016: $14 million, 2017: $11 million, 2018: $10 million option ($5 million buyout)

K-Rod....6m to keep him 2m to let him go...I definitely keep him around.
Francisco Rodriguez - 2016: $7.5 million, 2017: $6 million club option ($2 million buyout)

Maybin, I pay his 1m buyout and try to resign him for 1-2 years at 4-8m total. Then put a clause in his contract that he has to live in a bubble during the off season. No way I pay the 9m option for 100 games.
Cameron Maybin - 2016: $8 million, 2017: $9 million club option ($1 million buyout)

Not sure if this was already posted, but this article has a good breakdown of the 2017 outlook as of now.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2016/10/tigers_2017_payroll.html

$167.2M allotted to 10 players

Estimated $197.7M to all players including arb estimates and picking up contracts of Maybin & F Rod.

F Rod has a $6M contract but a $2M buyout, so he only saves $4M. At that price, he may be worth keeping.

Maybin saves you $8M which is the biggest cost cut available.
Romine has an estimated $1.2 arb number. I say let him go
Gose has "possible" arb 1 number of $507 K. Let him go
Iggy has an estimated $3.2M arb estimate. Not sure if you can agree to arb then trade him?

That still doesn't get them below the estimated luxury tax threshold. They really only need to trade one player with a decent sized contract to get below the luxury tax threshold for 2017.

Why would Avila publicly state he's a veritable desperate seller and in the process devalue the ability of the players he's getting rid of to fetch maximum return? And now he's on the hook for coming through with this.

Last edited:
Sadly, this was long overdue.

I think we can look back at this whole "era of big spending" as a successful failure. They won a lot of games, put fans in the stadium and had some playoff success. But at the end of the day, Tigers didn't win a title and that's the failure portion of this.

If teams are willing to trade for Miggy or JV, I say do it. Get as many prospects/value as possible.

I think we can look back at this whole "era of big spending" as a successful failure. They won a lot of games, put fans in the stadium and had some playoff success. But at the end of the day, Tigers didn't win a title and that's the failure portion of this.

If teams are willing to trade for Miggy or JV, I say do it. Get as many prospects/value as possible.

Has to be for MLB players under team control for a couple of years.

It will be very tough to trade those guys with their contracts and 10/5 status

I would hate if JV goes elsewhere.. Some guys would be hard sells like Zimm and Anibal. But somehow I still see Mr. Pizza making a last minute signing with a big contract.

Keep JV, and Miggy. Everyone else can do. I want Miggy to get 3000 in a Detroit uniform. And go into the HOF with a Detroit cap. It would be nice if we kept a homegrown stud in our system until he retires.. that alone is worth keeping JV. Plus he's our best SP.

Back