Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers Will Cut Salary

Also they missed by a year. Signing Upton and Zimm a year before you say "I'm lowering salary."

Keep JV, and Miggy. Everyone else can do. I want Miggy to get 3000 in a Detroit uniform. And go into the HOF with a Detroit cap. It would be nice if we kept a homegrown stud in our system until he retires.. that alone is worth keeping JV. Plus he's our best SP.

this is the list of free agent starting pitchers. What if the Cubs miss the WS and make a big offer for JV?

Would you take Schwarber & Ian Happ for JV?

Henderson Alvarez (27)
Brett Anderson (29)
Clay Buchholz (32) ? $13.5MM club option with a $500K buyout
Andrew Cashner (30)
Jhoulys Chacin (29)
Bartolo Colon (43)
Jorge De La Rosa (36)
R.A. Dickey (42)
Felix Doubront (29)
Doug Fister (33)
Jaime Garcia (30) ? $12MM club option with a $500K buyout
Gio Gonzalez (31) ? $12MM club option with a $500K buyout
Jason Hammel (34) ? $10MM club option with a $2MM buyout
Jeremy Hellickson (30)
Rich Hill (37)
Derek Holland (30) ? $11MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Scott Kazmir (33) ? can opt out of remaining two years, $32MM on current contract
Mat Latos (29)
Colby Lewis (37)
Kris Medlen (31) ? $10MM mutual option with a $1MM buyout
Tommy Milone (30)
Charlie Morton (33) ? $9.5MM mutual option with a $1MM buyout
Jon Niese (30) ? $10MM club option with a $500K buyout
Bud Norris (32)
Ivan Nova (30)
Sean O?Sullivan (29)
Jake Peavy (36)
CC Sabathia (36) ? $25MM vesting option with a $5MM buyout
James Shields (35) ? can opt out of remaining two years, $44MM on current contract
Alfredo Simon (36)
Jacob Turner (26)
Edinson Volquez (33) ? $10MM mutual option with a $3MM buyout
Jered Weaver (34)
C.J. Wilson (36)

No. One guy has full tears to his ACL and LCL in his left knee. And the other guy is a dime a dozen players.

I think Schwarber is a 30-35 HR LH bat and Happ has potential to be a switch hitting Ian Kinsler.

Scwarber is going to be a DH and still has a bad knee. We already have a Kinsler plus it's a huge reach.

Scwarber is going to be a DH and still has a bad knee. We already have a Kinsler plus it's a huge reach.

Schwarber is likely going to be a 1B. Kinsler will be gone soon and Happ is the #1 Cubs prospect. You are likely to have to take a gamble to get rid of a 34 year old pitcher who makes $28M in 2017, 2018 & 2019

Schwarber is likely going to be a 1B. Kinsler will be gone soon and Happ is the #1 Cubs prospect. You are likely to have to take a gamble to get rid of a 34 year old pitcher who makes $28M in 2017, 2018 & 2019

So if they are so good why would the Cubs trade them for a 34 year old?

He won't but I could easily see JV winning a Cy Young this season. Why trade that.. Had a pretty good year in '15 as well. JV should be a guy Detroit tries to keep if at all possible.

So if they are so good why would the Cubs trade them for a 34 year old?

My original question was based on if the Cubs miss the WS and make a big offer for JV because there are no FA starters available this off season.

My original question was based on if the Cubs miss the WS and make a big offer for JV because there are no FA starters available this off season.

I still don't want it. How to we get better plus we lose are best pitcher.

they aren't likely to get better with any move they make...they want to get younger and cheaper.

I understand that if we can be really good a few years from now, take some lumps then come back strong. But JV is a staple yet we sit here with Zimm and Anibal. I think keeping JV until he retires is a good move. What if we traded Kaline, Tram. etc. Memories go a long way..

I understand that if we can be really good a few years from now, take some lumps then come back strong. But JV is a staple yet we sit here with Zimm and Anibal. I think keeping JV until he retires is a good move. What if we traded Kaline, Tram. etc. Memories go a long way..

I don't really have any emotional attachment to players. I am too young to remember Kaline. I remember Tram well but only remember the years when he and the Tigers were good. He and the Tigers were terrible at the end of his career.

On the bright side...we only have one more year of Sanchez

I don't really have any emotional attachment to players. I am too young to remember Kaline. I remember Tram well but only remember the years when he and the Tigers were good. He and the Tigers were terrible at the end of his career.

On the bright side...we only have one more year of Sanchez

As a 50 year old seeing Kaline at end of career and in the booth for all those years and the DP combo Tram and Lou.. they mean a lot to me. Maybe when you're older you'll have a different view..

As a 50 year old seeing Kaline at end of career and in the booth for all those years and the DP combo Tram and Lou.. they mean a lot to me. Maybe when you're older you'll have a different view..

I'm 48, so I doubt I will change my opinion. I have been like this for 30+ years. I have always liked the team MUCH more than the individual players.

The Cubs had the best pitching in the majors, all 5 return next year, and their pitching hasn't been the problem in the playoffs the last 2 years.

So why would they want Verlander?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

from an article that KC posted in the Tigers Notes thread

Which players will be the most likely to be finding a new address thanks to a trade this offseason? Here's a look at the five most likely to note.

1 J.D. Martinez, RF. This offseason, Martinez is probably Detroit's best chance to snag a significant haul from a team which needs offense. His contract status isn't a deal breaker, and the Tigers have all but hinted they probably don't want to be tied down to a long-term deal in another year's time. Another team may feel confident he can be a missing piece or they can re-sign him. Bet on Martinez eventually being moved at some point during the offseason.

2. Ian Kinsler, 2B. Like a fine wine, Kinsler has only improved with age as well as time in Detroit. Last season, he was dynamite with the bat for the Tigers in a leadoff role, and still plays a quietly slick defense at second base even though he sorely lacks recognition for doing so. Kinsler could be considered a missing piece type for a team in need of an infielder with some pop, and could net the Tigers something interesting in return.

3. Justin Verlander, P. It's a tricky case considering Verlander's 10-5 rights as well as his status as a beloved figure in Detroit baseball, but expect the Tigers to take calls on their big gun pitcher this offseason. Verlander is still capable of lighting up the win column and the radar gun, and for a team desperate for pitching in a weak free agent market, there could be a bidding war for his services should he be on the market.

4. Jose Iglesias, SS. A slick shortstop, Iglesias has youth on his side, but there's always a temptation to think he should be something more than he is with the Tigers. At times, he can be injury prone, and Detroit should wonder if there's a more effective way to manage the shortstop position. Since he's a defensive wizard and young, Iglesias could be spun in the right package for a decent haul. As far as younger Tigers go, he's probably the most likely to be dealt.

5. Miguel Cabrera, 1B. Don't bet on the Tigers moving Cabrera this offseason since he's on the team's Mount Rushmore and his contract is nearly immovable. Still, a team that's in as desperate shape as Avila makes the Tigers sound would likely be wise to see if an offer from a desperate club would blow them away. It's not likely to happen, but if the Tigers were to trade Cabrera, still one of the best players in baseball, it could kick start a full rebuild and perhaps give the team a shot at getting the type of impact players needed to do so.

If JV can get you any value, and the writing is on the wall for this team for the next couple years, move him while you can.

I'm 31, and I really don't have any emotional attachment to players either. If someone like JV or Miggy were moved, I'd always remember the great times they had with the franchise.

Last edited:
Back