Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers Will Cut Salary

I do not want to see Miggy or JV traded in any way shape or form. No Sir. They are the face of the franchise. I have been a Tigers fan since 1954. Miggy is the best Tigers hitter we have seen and in my 60 plus years of watching. Better hitter than the hero to generations of Tigers fans Al Kaline. Kaline is the better all around player. Only a handful of players have played to the talent level of Al as a 5 tool player.

Miggy has to stay, same with JV. They put fannys in the seats, as well as fans young and old buying jerseys of Cabrera and Verlander and Tigers memorabilia. This would be a public relations nightmare.

I remember back when the Tigers traded Jim Bunning, "Jim F?ing Bunning" one of the top 3 if not the very best pitcher in the AL at the time.
Bunning went to the phillies and won again over 100 games along with leading the NL in shutouts and Strikeouts.

Again iirc, Jack Morris left on his own, but ownership didn?t try to keep him.
In the entire Tigers history, the winningest pitcher is Hooks Dauss who won 223 games. Enough of that, Verlander needs to stay and top that number as well as get his 3,000 plus Strikeouts wearing the English D.

Every year Miggy plays he climbs the Tigers franchise in a variety of offensive stats. Miggy can become the first Tigers hitter to hit over 500 Home Runs.

Trade any other Tigers players, just not these two future Hall of Famers.

I love the players AND the brand.

I'm 48, so I doubt I will change my opinion. I have been like this for 30+ years. I have always liked the team MUCH more than the individual players.

Ah. Thought you were a young whipper snapper. Anyway, yes team means a lot. '84 was awesome, same as 2006. Only 3 in '68. But for me, remembering when Cecil hit 50 and 51 last game of the season, when Aurelio Rodriguez would look at the ball before he throws it over to first etc.. Those are amazing for me.

Ah. Thought you were a young whipper snapper. Anyway, yes team means a lot. '84 was awesome, same as 2006. Only 3 in '68. But for me, remembering when Cecil hit 50 and 51 last game of the season, when Aurelio Rodriguez would look at the ball before he throws it over to first etc.. Those are amazing for me.

'84 was great! I was at game 5 of the WS when Gibby hit the 2HRs. '06 was great and I had fun watching Cecil hit 50. But that's part of why I don't care if they trade any of the current Tigers...my best memories are when the TEAM is good.

If we do this, it needs to be all or nothing. Cabrera should be the only untouchable. Trading JV, JD, Upton, and Kinsler could get us a ton of MLB ready young talent and make us a much better club. However, I dont trust Avila to get the right players.. So this is going to be a disaster either way.

We have three young pitchers that could be on the verge of blossoming and every one wants to trade the only young power hitter (J D) we have. Carbrera May have two to three good to great seasons left, so lets just trash them with a rebuild. Thinking of trading the 4th best OBP % second base man in the AL. Who do you replace him with!? BTW Maybin had the 7th best OBP of hitters with a min. pa of 300. Shock when I saw that one. Who plays center should he go? Trading and/or letting go the good is like nose diving to last place imo. The guys that are being talked about are like top 5 at there positions. I looked at the FA list this season and it's BS.

The real problems are Pelfrey 8, Sanchez 16, Lowe 5, Zimmerman 18, Upton 22. All most 70 mill Tiger really did not get there money worth from them. Tigers are going to get rid of there best and keep these and try to rebuild around them Goooooooooooooood luck. There's this bridge in Brooklyn. Any one interested?

And then there the bull pen that needs more HELP.

I've said this before the Tigers are between a rock and a hard spot. They're somewhere closer to one or the other. IE the Rock and the hard spot are merging. And the Tigers have not been seeing well to look out for it. They really do not have good options.

Last edited:
It is what it is. DET has Miggy, JV and Victor who can all nix a trade. So they would almost be impossible to move. Unless you are trading one of those young pitchers or someone like Castellanos, the only two high priced players worth anything in return is Kinsler and/or J.D.

Kinsler is a 34 year old 2nd baseman coming off arguably a career year. Which team does anyone propose he goes to? There aren't a lot if playoff caliber teams needing his services. And teams like SD, OAK or ATL are not in a position to make that trade unless they thought it was what would make them compete.

WAR Rankings last 3 years (min 800 PAs)

Y. Cespedes = 1 of 40
I. Kinsler = 2 of 39
M. Cabrera = 3 of 41
J. Upton = 6 of 40
J.D. Martinez = 10 of 47
V. Martinez = 10 of 19
C. Granderson = 12 of 47
J. Peralta = 12 of 47
R. Davis = 15 of 40

A. Avila = 20 of 31
Salty = 27 of 31
E. Aybar = 27 of 47

J. McCann = 30 of 31
E. Suarez = 31 of 45
C. Maybin = 31 of 45
J. Iglesias = 31 of 47
A. Jackson = 32 of 45
N. Castellanos = 37 of 45
O. Infante = 38 of 39
A. Gose = 38 of 45
T. Hunter = 41 of 47
C. McGehee = 41 of 45
Av. Garcia = 45 of 47
M. Aviles = 45 of 45

wRC+ Away Last 3 years (min 400 PAs)

Y. Cespedes 1 of 40
M. Cabrera 3 of 41
V. Martinez 3 of 19
J.D. Martinez 5 of 47
C. Granderson 6 of 47
J. Peralta 7 of 47
I. Kinsler 10 of 40

A. Avila 17 of 33
J. Iglesias 18 of 47
M. Joyce 21 of 40
T. Hunter 22 of 47
J. Upton 26 of 40
J. Saltalamacchia 27 of 33

J. McCann 31 of 33
E. Suarez 33 of 46
A. Gose 33 of 46
O. Infante 34 of 40
R. Davis 34 of 40
N. Castellanos 35 of 46
A. Jackson 38 of 46
Av. Garcia 39 of 47
C. Maybin 40 of 46
C. McGehee 40 of 46
M. Aviles 46 of 46

Just my two cents, but as long as DET is stuck on James McCann as their starting Catcher, especially against RHP, they are not going anywhere. Citing that there is no replacement for the likes of Kinsler has been an issue since they traded Devon Travis. You are not going to replace an All Star caliber 2B with a young player that is going to come close to that production. You cannot totally gut the team until after the new TV contract is executed sometime in the next year. And because of that contract pending, you are not going to trade the two faces of this team, Miggy and JV without affecting viewership. That viewership is going to drive the next TV contract.

Last edited:
Not much to trade really. DD and Mr. I have made their bed and now Avila has to sleep in it. It would be nice if McCann could get some serious hitting instruction this off-season.

Just my two cents, but as long as DET is stuck on James McCann as their starting Catcher, especially against RHP, they are not going anywhere.

I don't buy that for a minute. The Indians had the 2nd best pitching staff in the AL and the Cubs the best in the NL. The Tigers could win with the offense they had, even with McCann, if the had pitching like the Indians or Cubs.

McCann isn't the problem...he's just one guy.

Knee looks pretty good so far ;)

It doesn't matter....I was just talking hypothetical.

It was quite the injury though. Plus with the way JV is throwing the ball I still wouldn't like that trade.. Even if I wanted JV to stay until he retires which I do.

Back