Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Justin Verlander finishes 2nd in AL Cy Young race

I expect the TB writers had some type of vendetta against JV or really wanted Rick to win, as he got two first place votes by those two. They obviously talked about it, too much coincidences.

maybe it was due to him going 5-0 vs the Rays this year.

Damn jv did get robbed.. those two should lose their votes.

Last edited:
Not like Porcello was extra special vs TB, ERA similar to his season.

he didn't get robbed. Both had similar seasons.

No he didn't. And this isn't based on reb's post because he has some numbers wrong.. JV wins over Porcello.. JV has his run support and he wins more games. Porcello had a nice season but not JV season. Never seen someone get that many more 1st place votes and not win..

Last edited:
No he didn't. And this isn't based on reb's post because he has some numbers wrong.. JV wins over Porcello.. JV has his run support and he wins more games. Porcello had a nice season but not JV season. Never seen someone get that many more 1st place votes and not win..

well, that's your opinion. Mine is that they had very similar seasons and nobody stood out as a clear cut winner. I would have been fine with any one of the 3 winning.

One analyst on MLB radio brought up that JV went 1-3 with an era of 4.88 in his 5 games vs the Indians. Of course, the entire Tiger team sucked vs the Indians this year!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CwtB6sAW8AALnOG.jpg

Justin Verlander's lead in 8 categories was highlighted in yellow ?
games started (34), strikeouts (254), WHIP (1.00), batting average against (.207), innings (227.2), WAR (6.6 from Baseball Reference, 5.2 from Fangraphs) and games allowing two earned runs or fewer (23).

Porcello led in wins (22-4) and run support (7.63), and tied Verlander in Fangraphs' WAR; and Kluber didn't lead in any of the categories listed.

well, that's your opinion. Mine is that they had very similar seasons and nobody stood out as a clear cut winner. I would have been fine with any one of the 3 winning.

One analyst on MLB radio brought up that JV went 1-3 with an era of 4.88 in his 5 games vs the Indians. Of course, the entire Tiger team sucked vs the Indians this year!

I'm sure Porcello pitched a bad game vs someone. That's cherry picking at it's worse.

He was robbed . The two Tampa writers both left jv off the ballot, and at least one turned it in when jv had 2 starts left. Both writers should lose thier voting status.

He was robbed . The two Tampa writers both left jv off the ballot, and at least one turned it in when jv had 2 starts left. Both writers should lose thier voting status.

I'm sure Angels fans thought Trout was robbed the 3 years he came in 2nd for the MVP

I'm sure Angels fans thought Trout was robbed the 3 years he came in 2nd for the MVP

Did 2 voters from the same city leave Trout completely off the ballot in those 3 years?

It isn't that Porcello won, it is that JV was left off those two ballots. There is virtually no excuse that 2 voters from the same city leave JV off the ballot, when so many, including you Tom, thought that they were close. That's the argument. How do you not have JV in the top 5?

Now if the discussion is the merit of choosing Porcello based wins or winning percentage, then let's have it. Metrically, across the board, Verlander was the better starter. But I get why Porcello won, I just don't agree on what those 2 TBR writers did.

Did 2 voters from the same city leave Trout completely off the ballot in those 3 years?

It isn't that Porcello won, it is that JV was left off those two ballots. There is virtually no excuse that 2 voters from the same city leave JV off the ballot, when so many, including you Tom, thought that they were close. That's the argument. How do you not have JV in the top 5?

Now if the discussion is the merit of choosing Porcello based wins or winning percentage, then let's have it. Metrically, across the board, Verlander was the better starter. But I get why Porcello won, I just don't agree on what those 2 TBR writers did.

I would like to know the reason they left him off the ballot.

Here is the response from one of the writers

"I feel bad that people are upset about this; I did the best I could," Chastain told the Daily News. "I went around the clubhouse, I asked guys. I agonized over this. The biggest thing for me was between (Baltimore closer Zach) Britton and (Rick) Porcello."

Chastain told the Daily News he sent his ballot in about a week before the regular season ended. He voted for Porcello, Zach Britton, Corey Kluber, Chris Sale and Masahiro Tanaka in that order.

"At the time, I thought I picked the best five guys," Chastain told the newspaper. "Maybe I should have waited until the end. When I voted, it looked pretty clear to me."

He added, "I wasn't out to get Verlander. It was nothing personal."

"I feel bad that people are upset about this; I did the best I could," Chastain told the Daily News. "I went around the clubhouse, I asked guys. I agonized over this. The biggest thing for me was between (Baltimore closer Zach) Britton and (Rick) Porcello."

Chastain told the Daily News he sent his ballot in about a week before the regular season ended. He voted for Porcello, Zach Britton, Corey Kluber, Chris Sale and Masahiro Tanaka in that order.

"At the time, I thought I picked the best five guys," Chastain told the newspaper. "Maybe I should have waited until the end. When I voted, it looked pretty clear to me."

I think that annoys me even more. Clearly, the guy could give two shits about it and then to walk around the Rays clubhouse and ask players? What an idiot, the guy proved it right there.

I am not a sports writer and I probably watched 25 or all of JV's starts, 15 of Kluber's, 15+ of Porcello, Britton probably 10 games but a lot of highlights. Just to name some of the guys. I always enjoyed watching Porcello pitch and have come to love Hendrickson, he is masterful. I watch mainly AL games but liked to tape the Cubs, Cardinals, and Braves games. I watched quite a few of Scherzer starts but it seemed he conflicted with a lot of games I wanted to watch more so.

His Ballot was sent before JV's last 2 starts, and maybe as soon as 23 Sep by some guessing.

Starts/Stats after 22 Sep:

Verlander = 3 GS 20.6 IP 14 H 3 ER 4 BB 31 K 1.31 ERA 0.87 WHIP

Porcello = 2 GS 12.3 IP 16 H 6 ER 3 BB 15 K 4.38 ERA 1.54 WHIP

Sale = 2 GS 12.0 IP 14 H 8 ER 1 BB 13 K 6.00 ERA 1.25 WHIP
Kluber = 1 GS 4.0 IP 5 H 2 ER 1 BB 3 K 4.50 ERA 1.50 WHIP

Britton = 5 G 2 SV 5.2 IP 4 H 0 ER 0 BB 7 K 0.00 ERA 0.71 WHIP

Tanaka = 0 GS

Tanaka last pitched on 21 September.

ERA on 16 Sep - Final Season

Verlander 3.33 - 3.04 = -0.29

Britton 0.61 - 0.54 = - 0.07

Kluber 3.12 - 3.14 = + 0.02

Porcello 3.12 - 3.15 = + 0.03

Tanaka 2.97 - 3.07 = + 0.10

Sale 2.99 - 3.34 = + 0.35

Chastain's ballot was easily sent before Verlander's last 2 starts and possibly his last 3. It only needed to be submitted before the Post Season starts (4 October). By all accounts, Chastain's ballot was sent O/A 24 September. Certainly, Tanaka not pitching after 21 September, but still getting his vote is a concern.

Goodall voting for 2 TOR starters is a concern as well. Goodall wouldn't even comment on his selections.

His Ballot was sent before JV's last 2 starts, and maybe as soon as 23 Sep by some guessing.

Starts/Stats after 22 Sep:

Verlander = 3 GS 20.6 IP 14 H 3 ER 4 BB 31 K 1.31 ERA 0.87 WHIP

Porcello = 2 GS 12.3 IP 16 H 6 ER 3 BB 15 K 4.38 ERA 1.54 WHIP

Sale = 2 GS 12.0 IP 14 H 8 ER 1 BB 13 K 6.00 ERA 1.25 WHIP
Kluber = 1 GS 4.0 IP 5 H 2 ER 1 BB 3 K 4.50 ERA 1.50 WHIP

Britton = 5 G 2 SV 5.2 IP 4 H 0 ER 0 BB 7 K 0.00 ERA 0.71 WHIP

Tanaka = 0 GS

Tanaka last pitched on 21 September.

ERA on 16 Sep - Final Season

Verlander 3.33 - 3.04 = -0.29

Britton 0.61 - 0.54 = - 0.07

Kluber 3.12 - 3.14 = + 0.02

Porcello 3.12 - 3.15 = + 0.03

Tanaka 2.97 - 3.07 = + 0.10

Sale 2.99 - 3.34 = + 0.35

Chastain's ballot was easily sent before Verlander's last 2 starts and possibly his last 3. It only needed to be submitted before the Post Season starts (4 October). By all accounts, Chastain's ballot was sent O/A 24 September. Certainly, Tanaka not pitching after 21 September, but still getting his vote is a concern.

Goodall voting for 2 TOR starters is a concern as well. Goodall wouldn't even comment on his selections.

Weather he missed one, two or three starts...it appears to me that he had his mind made up and there was probably some kind of bias. Maybe he was being overly loyal to the AL east? I'm sure there is bias for beat writers when voting for the guys they cover but I really haven't heard of bias against someone. Who knows....maybe it was stuck in his head that Porcello was 5-0 in 6 starts vs. TB.

Back