Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Crazy questions

lonesometiger

Tigers win the World Series.
Do they try to resign Price?, too long term.V-Mart?, Johnson?, Avila?,2015 option, Scherzer?, Hunter?, Joba?, Hanrahan a real ? Don Kelly safe?,Or do they pull there horns in? And where is J.D.M contract since he sign as a FA to a minor league contract? But was drafted in 2009 by Houston.

Price hasn't actually been that good for us and turns 30 next year. I don't see the team offering him the huge money he'll demand on the open market right now. Maybe he turns things around next year, but I wouldn't expect an early extension (especially with the way that's worked out with JV so far).

V-Mart is really tricky. He's obviously a fantastic DH, but he's super old. If he would accept a 2 year deal, definitely sign him. If another team is offering 4 or more years, we should pass. Hunter is passed his prime, I don't see value in retaining his degrading skills. Avila is a good defender, and hasn't exactly put up wowing numbers to drive up his salary. We should retain him at a reasonable price but be looking to develop someone in the minors. Scherzer already said no to our best offer, and will be 31 by the middle of next year. I just don't think it's smart to lock up another long term big money contract with a player likely past his prime.

I don't care at all about our relievers. If we dumped them all and bought a brand new batch, we could achieve the same crappy results.

I say Scherzer is gone. Yasmani Tomas is a cuban OF with a ton of power.. we need to put the best bid in on him to replace Hunter. We would actually probably be saving money and getting better production. We should sign Asdrubal Cabrera on the cheap to be our shortstop. A two-year extension with Victor would be good, but maybe not ideal. It would be nice to be able to use Miggy at DH and find ourselves a younger productive 1st baseman. Sign Koji Uehara to be our closer. Soria should be the setup man. Nathan can be used as the 7th inning guy. I would like to see us deal Price to the Dodgers in the offseason for Joc Pederson and Julio Urias. Sign Ervin Santana to go along with JV, Porcello and Sanchez in the rotation.

Victor is going to get three years from somebody. (Suprisingly) Hunter may get a two year deal from someone. He will eventually fall into a full-time DH role, either 2015 or 2016. Even next season I could see Torii splitting time between RF and DH.

Nobody knows what spending mood Ilitch will undergo for 2015. I am guessing the further we advance in the playoffs, the better our chances for another 170M payroll.

But should we lose in the ALDS, all bets are off and we could see a 20M payroll reduction.

Victor, yes, Hunter, no. Kelly? No objection if he's used properly and not treated like he's Gates Brown.

VMart, hells yes. Hunter, no. Kelly, DIE IN A FIRE IF YOU RESIGN HIM AGAIN, DD.

I say Scherzer is gone. Yasmani Tomas is a cuban OF with a ton of power.. we need to put the best bid in on him to replace Hunter. We would actually probably be saving money and getting better production. We should sign Asdrubal Cabrera on the cheap to be our shortstop. A two-year extension with Victor would be good, but maybe not ideal. It would be nice to be able to use Miggy at DH and find ourselves a younger productive 1st baseman. Sign Koji Uehara to be our closer. Soria should be the setup man. Nathan can be used as the 7th inning guy. I would like to see us deal Price to the Dodgers in the offseason for Joc Pederson and Julio Urias. Sign Ervin Santana to go along with JV, Porcello and Sanchez in the rotation.
I am pretty sure they won't go after a Ss. We have that kid coming back from his shin splint legs Jose Iglesias.

Last edited:

Thomas is reportedly going to get $80 Mil to start, how would he save money over Hunter? And Hunter is providing decent production. It is just he defense that is lacking.

Asdrubal Cabrera??? He is 28th of 29 MLB SS in UZR/150 the last 3 years and pretty much close to last with every other defensive metric. If it wasn't for Jeter, who is retiring, he would be last. No way his slightly above average offense makes up for that.

Koji Uehara will be 40 next year. You want Joe Nathan part2? I didn't want Nathan at 38, so I would say no to Uehara as well.

But, to address the original post. I think Avila and Kelly are safe bets (despite some hatred for Kelly). I think for what he does, DD/Ausmus love those types of guys and he will still have value.

Price might get an extension.

Johnson and Hanrahan are gone

Chamberlain is on a bubble.

Scherzer is gone.

Hunter might stay for less money.

And as long as V-Mart doesn't ask for too much money, he stays. Otherwise he is gone.

They make qualifying offers to Scherzer and V-Mart. And that is it.

Back