Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers Sign Joba Chamberlain

Well if only a few or a couple of these off-season moves pan out, guess that all we can hope for is that the Tigers might remain in contention next season long enough to warrant making another trade or trades to acquire the player(s) necessary to clinch a postseason berth. Unfortunately it seems like DD will need to see at least half work out as intended and according to plan, b/c there has been a significant sea-change from their '13 team. But unless they have a few/couple of players in the minors, who will perform well enough to be called up as replacements/reinforcements or used as trade chips, the club will have little if anything to offer if buyers, but likely enough if sellers..ugh!!

Smyly to SP roto
Castellanos 3B
Kinsler 2B
Iggy full season @ SS? (is DD ever going to publicly commit to him there?)
Dirks/Davis platoon in LF?
Miggy to 1B

*The "vaunted" bench may be comprised of Kelly, Lombardozzi, Holaday, and Davis...perhaps depending upon their performance in ST. Dunno if the Tigers would go with a 5 man bench including Perez. Lombo has all of 2 GP for the gnats @ SS, as does Perez with the Tigers

*BP candidates: Krol, Chamberlain, Putkonen, Rondon, Coke, Nathan, Alburquerque, Reed...?

*Subject to change after ST

Well if only a few or a couple of these off-season moves pan out, guess that all we can hope for is that the Tigers might remain in contention next season long enough to warrant making another trade or trades to acquire the player(s) necessary to clinch a postseason berth. Unfortunately it seems like DD will need to see at least half work out as intended and according to plan, b/c there has been a significant sea-change from their '13 team. But unless they have a few/couple of players in the minors, who will perform well enough to be called up as replacements/reinforcements or used as trade chips, the club will have little if anything to offer if buyers, but likely enough if sellers..ugh!!

Smyly to SP roto
Castellanos 3B
Kinsler 2B
Miggy to 1B

*The "vaunted" bench may be comprised of Kelly, Lombardozzi, Holaday, and Davis...perhaps depending upon their performance in ST. Dunno if the Tigers would go with a 5 man bench including Perez. Lombo has all of 2 GP for the gnats @ SS, as does Perez with the Tigers

*BP candidates: Krol, Chamberlain, Putkonen, Rondon, Coke, Nathan, Alburquerque, Reed...?

Why? What have the other teams done in the division? If miggy doesbt get hurt than we run away with the division....fielder didn't do anything to hang onto the division lead when miggy went down.

Tell that to Mariano Rivera

2011-2013 Rivera Multi Innings or entering game in the 8th (NYY was 5-6 in those games)

11 G 4 S 3 BS 16.0 IP 4 ER

BLUF....if Tigers are going to make the playoffs, we need Nathan to be "fresh". I am not against him pitching multiple innings in the playoffs. I would be against it during the season, unless it was late in the season, and it meant making the playoffs or not. I certainly wouldn't do it much if any before the All Star break.

Why? What have the other teams done in the division? If miggy doesbt get hurt than we run away with the division....fielder didn't do anything to hang onto the division lead when miggy went down.

Fielder last 58 regular season games (Jul 30 - Sep 29)

248 PA .311 BAVG .379 OBP .486 SLG .865 OPS

Yup, that isn't doing anything to help the team.

How convenient you made the numbers into something. Post All-Star break he hit .295 with 9 Home Runs and 43 RBI's in 261 at bats. Yeah how are we ever going to replace that production?

I'm fine with it as a reclamation project, but this cannot be the end to the bullpen.

With the amount of quality arms available of the market this year, DD has no excuse for not grabbing at least one more quality/low floor RP to hedge his bets against all the risk associated with everybody in the bullpen sans Nathan.

Smyly to SP roto
Castellanos 3B
Kinsler 2B
Miggy to 1B

Part of the problem may be that you actually think Cleveland was remotely close to being as good as the Tigers last year because they only finished one game back.

They weren't.

The Tigers true talent level was 5-7 games better than their record indicated, they performed worse than their pythag by about the same amount.

The Indians outperformed their true talent level.

It happens regularly in baseball, the Tigers have a lot more room for error this offseason than the final division standings would indicate.

Even with no further moves being made, the Tigers are still the best teams and favorites to win the central.

Unfortunately, even with Cabrera healthy I don't like their postseason odds nearly as much with the significant offensive downgrades.

Last edited:

Why?

Can Miggy really carry this team? He can't pitch in relief or RBI himself in except when homering. Tigers ran away with the AL Central just once in 11, the race has gotten MUCH closer ever since then.

Some or more of the below were to occur:

Injury(s) to SP(s)
Smyly begins to tire after the ASB
BP all too frequently fails to protect leads
Iggy hits under .200
AJax leads off instead of being dropped in the order
Kinsler goes on the DL and is replaced by Lombardozzi.
Castellanos hits under .250 and/or his D is substandard
VMart and/or Hunter declines precipitously on O.
Avila hits under .200 and/or gets injured and misses sig-time on the DL (or worse sustains another concussion)
Potential platoon of Dirks/Davis does not improve or worsens over Dirks alone in '13.
Lombardozzi becomes an appendix b/c he is not needed in OF and can only play 2B (poorly) and he hits <.200 when he does get to bat.
Kelly is still what he is, and is needed too often on defense late in games.
Roto regresses somewhat or noticeably from '13 overall.

Part of the problem may be that you actually think Cleveland was remotely close to being as good as the Tigers last year because they only finished one game back.

They weren't.

The Tigers true talent level was 5-7 games better than their record indicated, they performed worse than their pythag by about the same amount.

The Indians outperformed their true talent level.

It happens regularly in baseball, the Tigers have a lot more room for error this offseason than the final division standings would indicate.

Even with no further moves being made, the Tigers are still the best teams and favorites to win the central.

Unfortunately, even with Cabrera healthy I don't like their postseason odds nearly as much with the significant offensive downgrades.

Doesn't matter how good they were compared to us talent wise. All that matters is the number in the W-L columns.

So the fact still remains that last seasons team which was obviously more talented than this years team, didn't finish all that much better than either CLE or KCR, and it's a cause for concern.

Now obviously nobody knows what will happen until the games are played, I doubt many people would have picked Boston to have the best record last year after how terrible they were in 2012, so we won't really know until the games are played. But the division/playoffs are never assured like some are thinking. If anything they are more up for grabs then ever.

Omg r u freaking kidding me! Jaba blows..wow DD really...

really starting to not like this team much for 2014

this offseason has been absolute horseshit. im so fucking pissed off at DD.

Last edited:
this offseason has been absolute horseshit. im so fucking pissed off at DD.

Agreed. If he's making these moves because of an edict from the ownership, at least he could just come out and say so instead of spreading dog shit on a slice of stale white bread and telling us it's chocolate cake.

Because when I hear him try to justify trading Doug Fister for two useless sacks of skin and one "could be" I want to stab him in the face with a chainsaw.

Man his WHIP is sky high. Hopefully Jeff Jones can help him bring his walk total down Geeeeezzz

A real head scratcher here to be honest. Hard to envision a 28 year old pitcher probably past his hey day but that could very well be the case with Joba Chamberlain. Not to mention I cannot STAND the Yankees and Chamberlain was #1 on my most disliked players list not only for on the field antics but off the field as well since I have met him a few times. How to put this likely????????????? He acts as if he is the best pitcher in the majors at times so yeah lmao.

Also to note this is a non guaranteed deal same as Coke so if they don't work out in ST than we have nothing to worry about. I am sure DD will make another 1 or 2 bullpen signings on non guaranteed deals to try and maximize the amount of players we have competing for slots in ST.

Also for what it's worth I wouldn't mind seeing what Jones and the other pitchers on the staff can do with Chamberlain this ST because if anyone could work some magic with hard throwers it's Jones and our staff. Could either blow up which would cost us next to nothing or it could be a wild card for us as well. At this point it's a coin flip really.

OK...Joba costs. Who it was/is, but someone has to be DFA from the 40-man roster. So what is it isn't a guaranteed contract, he still has to be added to the 40-man roster. Meaning we had to risk losing a player because of him.

Dixon Machado (no great loss) and Luis Marte have already been DFA. If healthy, I would have given Marte a chance in the pen before Joba.

Also to note this is a non guaranteed deal same as Coke so if they don't work out in ST than we have nothing to worry about. I am sure DD will make another 1 or 2 bullpen signings on non guaranteed deals to try and maximize the amount of players we have competing for slots in ST.

Also for what it's worth I wouldn't mind seeing what Jones and the other pitchers on the staff can do with Chamberlain this ST because if anyone could work some magic with hard throwers it's Jones and our staff. Could either blow up which would cost us next to nothing or it could be a wild card for us as well. At this point it's a coin flip really.

DD said the roster is done barring something out of the blue.

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2013/12...-tigers-roster-is-set-joba-chamberlain-signed

Worth has been DFA'd, so now we super dont have anyone to back up shortstop.

FUCK YOU DD

Back