Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Problems with the Tigers

We went over 170, with our last acquisition.
Fister shouldn't be haunting us. If you look more closely at the face, it's Joe Nathan.

This. The Fister trade didnt cause this, DD's idiotic decision-making afterwards did. I will never argue that it wasnt a horrific trade because we got absolute shit back, but I will also never would have argued that trading Fister was a bad idea if we had gotten a good return on him.

The problem is that after DD "cleared space" by moving Fister's contract, all he did was go out and blow the money on a shitty, arrogant, over-the-hill piece of shit that we're stuck with through the end of next year while largely ignoring the rest of the bullpen (I give him credit for the Joba signing, but we REALLY needed more) and other problems. He left this team with holes and very, very little depth which got exposed right away after all the injuries. This is definitely DD's fault, but its more because of the moves he DIDNT make than the ones he did.

It's an average team. We didn't suddenly lose it, we've been under .500 for the last 80 games or so. If anything if we didn't have a hot 40 game start..KC would be smoking us. This team is what it is..Average.

It's an average team. We didn't suddenly lose it, we've been under .500 for the last 80 games or so. If anything if we didn't have a hot 40 game start..KC would be smoking us. This team is what it is..Average.

The Tigers are exactly what they are...above average team with some glaring holes. KC is the same...they are more balanced but just an above average team. As far as hot spells...if KC hadn't gone 17-7 in the last month the Tigers would still have a decent lead. KC was only one game over .500 on July 12th.

The Tigers are exactly what they are...above average team with some glaring holes. KC is the same...they are more balanced but just an above average team. As far as hot spells...if KC hadn't gone 17-7 in the last month the Tigers would still have a decent lead. KC was only one game over .500 on July 12th.

And if we didn't have a 29-15 start we'd be behind by many. I get that KC is not a great team..but we haven't played above average since May. Since then we're below average.

It's more than just one thing. Maybe the Tigers offense, as a whole, is fine. But with their slumps, the defense, the BP and the inconsistencies of some of the starters...that's a lot to overcome.

And if we didn't have a 29-15 start we'd be behind by many. I get that KC is not a great team..but we haven't played above average since May. Since then we're below average.

you can pick any arbitrary day you want. On June 18th they were 1.5 games behind KC. Since that day the Tigers are 27-19 and made up ground on the Royals.

you can pick any arbitrary day you want. On June 18th they were 1.5 games behind KC. Since that day the Tigers are 27-19 and made up ground on the Royals.

True but under .500 since May and even with 27-19 says they have been really bad at times. And that a 27-19 can't overcome that.

Of course it's not over but they have many problems to overcome.

I'll have to disagree for one major reason: the offense. Success for our offense is heavily dependent on BA and BABIP since we dont work a ton of counts and dont walk a huge amount. When our BABIP and BA dips, our offense crashes and burns, like it is right now, but when theyre both high we go on a tear. Thats why we can be so inconsistent but be at or near the top of most of the offensive categories.

In the postseason, when we're facing good pitching more consistently, our BA is more likely to crash than it is to explode, resulting in what we saw last year: a nonexistant offense and an exit from the playoffs despite generally sterling pitching all around. Our ridiculous rotation wont help a bit if the offense cant score any runs.

Of course, the bullpen still sucks too, but if starters are going deep then the soft underbelly wont be as much of a concern because if we're lucky, none of them will be pitching. If guys like Whelan are pitching in the playoffs, that game is likely already lost by then.

TL;DR Our team is built to win in the regular season and we CAN win in the postseason if we get lucky and the bats get hot, but I am expecting an early exit in the ALDS regardless of who we play because the bats likely will get cold.
I get your points, but I'm going to mildly disagree here. Our rotation is gonna be better going with the 3-4 best SP instead of all 5 (i.e., you'll see one or both of Price and Scherzer twice, which is a plus right now). The 4 and/or 5 go to the pen and instantly make that better (i.e., 1-2 of Porcello/Sanchez/JV >>> anybody in our BP). I think our offense is what it is, but should perform better than it has recently. We may also add another piece before it's all said and done, which should help. That may replace the likes of DKB, Romine, Carrera, Holaday, etc. which would likely be an improvement.

Replacing Holaday immediately with McCann would be a step in the right direction, but DD is apparently an idiot.

I get your points, but I'm going to mildly disagree here. Our rotation is gonna be better going with the 3-4 best SP instead of all 5 (i.e., you'll see one or both of Price and Scherzer twice, which is a plus right now). The 4 and/or 5 go to the pen and instantly make that better (i.e., 1-2 of Porcello/Sanchez/JV >>> anybody in our BP). I think our offense is what it is, but should perform better than it has recently. We may also add another piece before it's all said and done, which should help. That may replace the likes of DKB, Romine, Carrera, Holaday, etc. which would likely be an improvement.

Got to get there first. Plus the pitching could be good but you still have a offense who could struggle and/or the BP giving back a lead. Or the defense fk'ng up..

Replacing Holaday immediately with McCann would be a step in the right direction, but DD is apparently an idiot.

Must have something to do with his service time because there is no reason not to have a
Macann/Avila platoon right now...

Must have something to do with his service time because there is no reason not to have a
Macann/Avila platoon right now...

Nope, he said its because they want mccann starting every day for some reason, as if he's always been projected to be a starter (he hasnt.) also something about it being tough to learn the pitching staff at this point in the season, but given how awful avila has been vs LHP and how awful holiday is period, i think those are both lame excuses.

I agree with you if that is the case...Bring him up... Bat him verses leftys and he can learn the staff on the fly... Heck he has to know Ray real well...lol

The minor leagues seasons should be over by the end of the month.

McCann should at least get a September callup.

Since May 23rd

KCR 41-29 .586 WPCT --- (4th best record behind BAL, OAK and LAA)

DET 35-37 .486 WPCT 7 GB

70-72 games of being 7 game worse than KCR. That was without all the injuries.

Too bad Kinlser is still in the #2 hole against a RHP. What a waste.

Too bad Kinlser is still in the #2 hole against a RHP. What a waste.

A 1-half wonder at this point, I knew he's been struggling but I just looked at his second half numbers, and yuck. 119 PA 7 runs, 27 hits, 6 doubles, 0 triples, 0 HR .237/.254/.298/.544 0 SB, 2BB, 14K

Yet Cabrera is the guy everyone is bagging on for not getting it done. (.317/.386/.426/.812)

Back