Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers vs. orioles ALDS Game 2 October 3

And just great a team we beat 14 out of 19 times is closer to the title then we are right now.:/

I always tell the wife "baseball is a weird game...the best teams win less than 3 out of every 5, and the worst teams win more than 2 out of every 5..."

It's become a little joke between us, how much I tell her that.

So, I just told her "the team with best record in baseball, the unbeatable Angels, are actually in a worse position right now than the Tigers."

And I thought and I added, "you know, with the Tigers inability to close games all season, it's amazing that we actually didn't end up in last place."

Whad'ya gonna do?

Playoff Inherited Runners / Runner Scored

Soria 3 / 3

Chamberlain 1 / 1

Coke 1 / 1

Sanchez 1 / 0

DET 6 / 5

KCT 2 / 0

Regular Season Inherited Runners / Runner Scored

AL Average 28.7 %

DET Average 32.8% (last 3 years)

B. Hardy 29/8 27.5%

A. Albuquerque 47/13 27.7% (96/30 31.3%)

J. Soria 7/2 28.6% (18/6 33.3%)

J. Johnson 22/7 31.8% (41/17 41.4%)

J. Chamberlain 14/5 35.7% (61/27 44.2%)

P. Coke 52/19 36.5% (122/40 32.3%)

I. Krol 38/16 42.1% ([48/23 47.9%)

J. Nathan 5/3 60.0% (18/9 50.0%)

Joel Hanrahan = Career 33.3%

DET (32.8%) had the 2nd to worse IS% and BAL (24.8%) had the 2nd to the best. DET had no reliever with less than 24.8% with at least 20 inherited runners. Yet, BAL average that as a team, beginning with Tommy Hunter (32/5 15.6%, 60/9 15.0% last 2 years).

BAL took a bad starter (Tommy Hunter) and turned him into an effective reliever. The great news for BAL, despite being in baseball for 7 years, he is still Arbitration eligible and not a FA until 2016. BAL got Hunter and Chris Davis for Uehara from TEX. Talk about a one sided trade.

Last 2 years

Tommy Hunter (60/9 15.0%) = failed starter. Got in trade with TEX

Andrew Miller (88/14 15.9%) = trade deadline deal!

Brian Matusz (86/15 17.4%) = Drafted by BAL. failed starter

Zach Briton (12/3 25.0%) = first year as primarily a reliever. Was a failed Starter. Drafted by BAL

Darren O'Day (61/16 26.2%) = selected off waivers in 2011 from TEX

Ryan Webb (70/19 27.1%) = signed as FA in December 2013

Brad Brach (47/15 31.9%) = trade with SDP November 2013

T.J. McFarland (47/26 55.3%) = Rule 5 pick from CLE in 2012, Minor Starter

Benoit last 2 years in DET = (39/6 = 15.3%)

Just for the record. Mariano Rivera career = 367/107 29.2%

Coming in with runners on base is not for everyone. It takes a special kind of pitchers. And not all closers can do it. They are use to coming in with the bases empty. DET does not get the right relievers. A collection of prior closers only works if you bring them in when no one is on base.

Ausmus: "Usually, when we use Albie, it's earlier in the game — sixth inning, occasionally seventh." As someone said: Fire Ausmus for even having this approach … and here are the stats: Alberquerque 2014 IP splits SIXTH 7.2, 7th 20.2. EIGHTH 15.1 w/ 1.76 ERA.

EDIT: 2014 appearances: 6th - 13, 7th - 29, 8th - 22. This guy is literally making $5it up.

Last edited:
I always tell the wife "baseball is a weird game...the best teams win less than 3 out of every 5, and the worst teams win more than 2 out of every 5..."

It's become a little joke between us, how much I tell her that.

So, I just told her "the team with best record in baseball, the unbeatable Angels, are actually in a worse position right now than the Tigers."

And I thought and I added, "you know, with the Tigers inability to close games all season, it's amazing that we actually didn't end up in last place."

Whad'ya gonna do?

Lol, I was just thinking last night as the royals go up 2-0 wow how the hell did the tigers manage to win the central. That in and of itself was probebly a small mircle

Wouldn't that be something if KC goes onto the WS, ya know I think what it all comes down to is pressure vs no pressure the pressure to win in detroit is just high they just can't slow it down and play, there is no pressure on KC nobody expects them to win.. I think it makes a difference...

Last edited:
Our corner OF spots are basically set, barring DD actually being smart, its going to be JDMart in one and then Dirks/Davis in the other. A middle infielder will get traded to bring in a center fielder, and at this point i think its likely to be Kinsler. Trading him would open up payroll and likely would be selling high on him. The FA class is extremely weak this year.

kinsler is basically the only guy on the team I like. and with torrii practically out the door now youre talking about losing your #1 and #2 hitters. I get the sell high argument but I don't think its worth all the negative publicity we'd get.....we'd be the marlins of a couple years ago.

kinsler is basically the only guy on the team I like. and with torrii practically out the door now youre talking about losing your #1 and #2 hitters. I get the sell high argument but I don't think its worth all the negative publicity we'd get.....we'd be the marlins of a couple years ago.

First half-Kinsler was pretty good.

Second half-Kinsler made Andrew Romine look like a good player.

Fact is I don't think we could trade him if we wanted to. Way too steep a price tag, and as good as he started, people only remember how you finished.

First half-Kinsler was pretty good.

Second half-Kinsler made Andrew Romine look like a good player.

Fact is I don't think we could trade him if we wanted to. Way too steep a price tag, and as good as he started, people only remember how you finished.

kinsler vmart miggy....those are the only 3 guys we can count on in our projected lineup for next year. Are we putting faith in JD martinez just because hes had 1 good year in his life? torri gone, castellanos blah, suarez/romine/Iglesias yuck, davis meh, avila blows. Not sure you should trade 1 out of the 3 guys in your lineup that can hit a ball.

kinsler vmart miggy....those are the only 3 guys we can count on in our projected lineup for next year. Are we putting faith in JD martinez just because hes had 1 good year in his life? torri gone, castellanos blah, suarez/romine/Iglesias yuck, davis meh, avila blows. Not sure you should trade 1 out of the 3 guys in your lineup that can hit a ball.

How can we count on Vmart in our lineup next year? And the last sentence should read 1 out of 3 guys in your lineup that can hit a ball for half a season.

I had the thought last night that if we ended up trading Kinsler and Sanchez together, we might get a big enough package of young, MLB ready players that it would offset losing them and we could still stay competitive. Not saying I actually want them to do that, but I wouldnt put it past DD to make a gigantic move out of the blue like the Granderson trade. Clearing out payroll for young players is going to happen one of the next 2 offseasons, dont be surprised if DD makes the big moves this winter.

If he does this, Im also assuming he resigns VMart. We'd still have him, Miggy, JDMart, JV (hopefully healthy), Price, and Porcello as the core. Iggy should be back strong, we have other (not as good, but still other) options for 2B, Nick should hopefully be better as he gets more experience and gets older, and platooning Avila/McCann and Dirks/Davis should be productive enough.

If DD does it right, he could pull off a big move to get a young CF, probably a young SP, and clear money to fill other holes and actually maybe improve the team.

Of course, hes also equally likely to trade suarez or perez for a CF and wait till contracts expire to get younger and cheaper. As long as he gets a CF and a real bullpen, Ill be happy.

Back