Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

7 Tigers Prospects will play in the AFL

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
http://motorcitybengals.com/2014/10...prospects-set-begin-play-arizona-fall-league/
Seven Detroit Tigers prospects set to begin play in Arizona Fall League.
from mcbtb

http://m.tigers.mlb.com/news/article/97815978/stars-of-tomorrow-ready-to-shine-in-2014-afl-season
Stars of tomorrow ready to shine as 2014 AFL season begins.
Tigers official site

Pace of play: Major League Baseball announced last week a set of experimental rules designed to speed up the pace of play would be used in the AFL this year.

Last edited:
The writer mentions Moya being in the conversation for everyday RFer next year. God, I hope not.. I love his power, but he would strike out 250 times and his OBP would be around .250. Devon Travis is going to be converted to CF. I like that idea, because his bat would be huge and is IMO our only real position prospect as of right now. He's out, though, so that pushes his transition back to the point where he wont help us next season unless we trade Kinsler and Travis takes over 2nd base.

One thing is for sure, we need to figure out a way to get Travis to the big next year. His approach is beautiful. Tons of patience, great eye and fantastic power/speed combo. He's comparable to Dustin Pedroia in terms of size and style of play.

Devon Travis to CF? Whelp, guess thats DD's plan to fill that hole. That'll sure go over fine, the kid has playe CF in 3 total games and he was in Erie this year. I hope to fuckin christ that he isnt DD's #1 plan.

Devon Travis to CF? Whelp, guess thats DD's plan to fill that hole. That'll sure go over fine, the kid has playe CF in 3 total games and he was in Erie this year. I hope to fuckin christ that he isnt DD's #1 plan.

Yeah, we'd be better off moving Kinsler to 3rd and Nick C back to LF to keep Travis at 2nd.

Yeah, we'd be better off moving Kinsler to 3rd and Nick C back to LF to keep Travis at 2nd.
I think you would be better off leaving kinsler at 2nd and put travis at 3rd. We already Kinsler is one of the top 3 def 2B in the AL no need to move him unless its for a superior player.

I think you would be better off leaving kinsler at 2nd and put travis at 3rd. We already Kinsler is one of the top 3 def 2B in the AL no need to move him unless its for a superior player.

Like offense, players can have career years on defense. Which Kinsler did in 2014. Over the last 3 years, he would actually rank 6th in the AL (12th of 26 in MLB), just ahead of Infante and Cano.

Career 2B

Zobrist 12.1 UZR/150
Pedroia 11.3 UZR/150
Ackley 7.3 UZR/150
Kendrick 5.6 UZR/150
Schoop 5.3 UZR/150
Sogard 4.2 UZR/150
Infante 2.3 UZR/150
Kinsler 2.3 UZR/150
Getz 2.0 UZR/150
Beckham 0.1 UZR/150
Dozier -2.6 UZR/150
Cano -3.2 UZR/150
Kipnis -5.6 UZR/150
Altuve -9.5 UZR/150

Let's not overstate Kinsler's defense based on one season. He had a great year in 2014 defensively, no doubt.

What I have read from a couple of Tigers minors followers regarding Travis in CF is they don't think he has the speed to play out there.

What I have read from a couple of Tigers minors followers regarding Travis in CF is they don't think he has the speed to play out there.

I see this as another Castellanos move/mistreatment. I hate moving a young player around during his development years, except if he cannot cut it at a given position. Travis was/is a fine 2B. He is just blocked. Don't mess with the kid's makeup. Either trade him or clear his path.

I see this as another Castellanos move/mistreatment. I hate moving a young player around during his development years, except if he cannot cut it at a given position. Travis was/is a fine 2B. He is just blocked. Don't mess with the kid's makeup. Either trade him or clear his path.

wtf is wrong with the Tigers brain trust regarding these type moves?
Who is it and why aren't they canned and bring in someone with better sense.
What should be done with clown shoes and stone hands Castellanos? He was awful at third, and when he was trying the outfield ST of 2013, Kaline said diplomatically he needed work on his footwork. Kid is 22/23 and already a DH.

wtf is wrong with the Tigers brain trust regarding these type moves?
Who is it and why aren't they canned and bring in someone with better sense.
What should be done with clown shoes and stone hands Castellanos? He was awful at third, and when he was trying the outfield ST of 2013, Kaline said diplomatically he needed work on his footwork. Kid is 22/23 and already a DH.

It starts with the minor league instructors, especially the roving instructors. Every scouting report I have/had seen on Castellanos was that he needed a lot of work. A lot. Yet, he was set on the face track to the majors, when he could have been a viable trade piece. Or kept Fielder around another year or two to let him develop. At which time, Castellanos could be the starting 3B and Travis at 2B and use Fielder for that OF help.

How many DH-types has DET had over the years? Chris Shelton tore up minor league pitching (more so than Castellanos), yet he was a liability no matter where you put him. Hence why his ML career was short lived. Castellanos may very well end up being a DH (assuming he doesn't further develop as a hitter). But, because of his bad defensive season, I fear his tenure is limited and his value has dropped since the end of last season.

Then DET has had prospects like Jack Hannahan that plays great defense, draws walks and hits lefthanded, only to be traded for a nobody. Hannahan ain't great, be he is exactly the ideal bench-type player. But at the time of the trade, we had Brandon Inge.

Last edited:
I'm with you guys on Castellanos. His defense is terrible at 3B and I don't see him ever being even an average defender there. That would mean that his bat would need to develop into a plus bat to offset it. I think he'll develop there, but probably not to the extent that it will even out and make him even an average or above average 3B. So, he probably needs to be moved to a position where he'll have less defensive negative and his bat is equal or stronger. Is that RF, maybe? I'm not sure he'd have the power you'd look for from a corner OF, but maybe that comes.

I'm with you guys on Castellanos. His defense is terrible at 3B and I don't see him ever being even an average defender there. That would mean that his bat would need to develop into a plus bat to offset it. I think he'll develop there, but probably not to the extent that it will even out and make him even an average or above average 3B. So, he probably needs to be moved to a position where he'll have less defensive negative and his bat is equal or stronger. Is that RF, maybe? I'm not sure he'd have the power you'd look for from a corner OF, but maybe that comes.

he is only 22 years old. In his first season in the ML he had an OPS of .700. I think he will develop at least 25HR power which is fine. The problem is he should never have been up here in the first place but the Tigers were forced to bring him up. He should have been left to develop with an ETA of 2015 or 2016.

I hope you are right on the 25HR power, but I don't see it unless he bulks up considerably. He's got the frame to do that, but I don't see him really filling out for another few years. I'd probably peg him at 20HRs/yr with CoPa as his home field.

I understand he's young and that he'll develop, but he's still really bad in the field.

The Tigers have a track record of bringing up players far too young and wrecking/delaying their development. See: Bondo, Porcello, Miller, etc, and now Castellanos. For as smart as DD is sometimes, he's a fucking moron other times.

Last edited:
he is only 22 years old. In his first season in the ML he had an OPS of .700. I think he will develop at least 25HR power which is fine. The problem is he should never have been up here in the first place but the Tigers were forced to bring him up. He should have been left to develop with an ETA of 2015 or 2016.

Jesus I was screaming this from the rooftops before the season! I kept saying Nick C was not ready. Everyone (not literally everyone) said no, he'll be fine, better than Cabrera (at 3B), gonna hit 25 HR and win ROY(okay this was 1 guy), etc.

Castellanos did well offensively, but imagine how good his bat might be if he was allowed to develop properly, and add some weight/muscle.

He's going to end up as Rick Porcello 2.0, a guy who had a fantastic ceiling, but got wrecked by the organization because DD worked himself out of other options.

Last edited:
The Tigers have a track record of bringing up players far too young and wrecking/delaying their development. See: Bondo, Porcello, Miller, etc, and now Castellanos. For as smart as DD is sometimes, he's a fucking moron other times.
There is where drafting and devoping players kills this organization. If they actually had a decent farm system they wouldn't need to rush their blue chip prospects up to fill holes because there is nothing better than 4A players ahead of them.

Jesus I was screaming this from the rooftops before the season! I kept saying Nick C was not ready. Everyone (not literally everyone) said no, he'll be fine, better than Cabrera (at 3B), gonna hit 25 HR and win ROY(okay this was 1 guy), etc.

Castellanos did well offensively, but imagine how good his bat might be if he was allowed to develop properly, and add some weight/muscle.

He's going to end up as Rick Porcello 2.0, a guy who had a fantastic ceiling, but got wrecked by the organization because DD worked himself out of other options.

I found this in the "Nick C Prediction thread"

I would like to see this

.270/.330/.750 with 15-20 HR

I wasn't predicting but clearly what I wanted to see. He obviously fell short of those numbers. His defense was pretty equal to Miggy's in 2013. According to Fangraphs Nick was 20th (last) among qualified 3B with a UZR/150 of -19.1. In 2013 Miggy was 19th with a UZR/150 of -19.9.

Let's hope he can improve his defense and MAYBE get up to the numbers I was hoping for last year in 2015!

His defense was pretty equal to Miggy's in 2013. According to Fangraphs Nick was 20th (last) among qualified 3B with a UZR/150 of -19.1. In 2013 Miggy was 19th with a UZR/150 of -19.9.

Miggy was injured for a good part of 2013. Nick was healthy for all of 2014.

Neither are good defensive players, but Miggy is better. Better arm, soft hands. He's not mobile, but neither was Nick.

Cabrera Career 3B -10.1 UZR/150

Seasons over 1,200 innings at 3B

2013 = -19.9 (injured most of the season)
2012 = -10.9 (more in line with his career average)

2007 = -5.0
2006 = -3.9

It has everything to do with range and mobility. Just because Castellanos is 22 (-19.1 UZR/150), doesn't mean he can "learn" better mobility/range. Either he has it, or he doesn't. And he will lose some of that as he ages and/or "bulks up". Hence why he will probably become a DH/1B type. Assuming he hits.

Back