Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Oregon game

it's a pretty consistent/linear relationship between MLs and spreads so +350 is really no more lopsided than +12 or whatever the line currently is.

but that doesn't fit his narrative about me not having confidence in my team by not predicting a win when we are 11-12 point dogs

Dantonio had a presser today, made a good comment saying that this game isn't going to be all about MSU's defense vs Oregon's offense. they have to stop our offense and special teams will be important, whether their offense gets the better of our defense will only be part of the story

Last edited:
but that doesn't fit his narrative about me not having confidence in my team by not predicting a win when we are 11-12 point dogs

Don't get me wrong - I'm not predicting a win either. I definitely think they CAN win the game so if I'm right about Az -7 being easy money, I'll roll some of the winnings into MSU +350 if it's still there after Thursday night.

Last edited:
I have a feeling this game could be won or lost based on special teams. there's so much focus on Oregon's offense, but a couple bad special teams plays, blocked FG or punt, poor kick coverage, etc. will doom someone.

at least Dantonio seemed aware of the risk.

I have a feeling this game could be won or lost based on special teams. there's so much focus on Oregon's offense, but a couple bad special teams plays, blocked FG or punt, poor kick coverage, etc. will doom someone.

at least Dantonio seemed aware of the risk.

it helps that we have the best punter and kicker in the big ten. I think MD was right by saying it's not all about the one matchup everyone wants to see, I think our offense can put some points on the board too. this is a very intriguing game, I think we were better than Oregon at the end of last year but we're breaking in a lot of new pieces on defense.

Stanford has had success against Oregon, very similar team to MSU in a lot of ways.

the good thing is that this game is the talk of the college football world this week, this has to help with recruiting and branding. the good thing is that we get to do it again next year

too bad bama bailed

now gametime temp is showing 97 with 20% humidity, they have field turf there so it will be very hot on the field. both teams have to play on it so I'm not thinking it will help or hinder either team but I do have to say it would suck if you want to tailgate before the game.

I remember it being that hot when I was at the Masters, I had a couple beers but really couldn't drink, plus, they didn't have Milwaukee's best in Augusta and that's all I really like to drink.

now gametime temp is showing 97 with 20% humidity, they have field turf there so it will be very hot on the field. both teams have to play on it so I'm not thinking it will help or hinder either team but I do have to say it would suck if you want to tailgate before the game.

Lots of water and substitutions, especially with MSU's defense.

which gets tougher because they snap the ball so quickly. Oregon's coaches used to accuse other players of faking injuries so they could get substitutions in without burning a timeout. That creates more problems with matchups and packages than it does with fatigue, that would be an issue if they were playing in snow too.

well, at least they'll be running downhill to get to the sideline for a breather - unless they're on the Oregon side and first have to run uphill to the apex of the crown. And as I type this I'm realizing the subs have to run uphill to get in the play...

in all seriousness, tri-state meteorologists have been wrong all summer so unless they're better out west I'd say it's a tad early for fans to be worrying about game time temps. that said, I think the heat hurts us more because we're not used to playing at that pace but nothing you can do about the weather so they'll just have to deal with it - hopefully by generating turnovers and stops and getting off the field quickly.

Last edited:
well, at least they'll be running downhill to get to the sideline for a breather - unless they're on the Oregon side and first have to run uphill to the apex of the crown. And as I type this I'm realizing the subs have to run uphill to get in the play...

in all seriousness, tri-state meteorologists have been wrong all summer so unless they're better out west I'd say it's a tad early for fans to be worrying about game time temps. that said, I think the heat hurts us more because we're not used to playing at that pace but nothing you can do about the weather so they'll just have to deal with it - hopefully by generating turnovers and stops and getting off the field quickly.

Oregon's 3 and outs are quick, they generally run maybe 20 seconds off the clock and then their defense is back on the field. I think the heat does help the team that wins the MSU defense/oregon offense matchup a little bit, the other teams defense will spend a lot more time on the field

as someone who endured 3 years of RichRod Ball, I concur that Oregon's defense will be worse for the heat, assuming MSU can force a few three-and-outs back-to-back.

after one or two of those, I would start calling some reverses with fresh legs just to wear the defense out even more.

as someone who endured 3 years of RichRod Ball, I concur that Oregon's defense will be worse for the heat, assuming MSU can force a few three-and-outs back-to-back.

after one or two of those, I would start calling some reverses with fresh legs just to wear the defense out even more.

Stanford has done a good job against them but Mariota was dealing with an injury last year. I think we have a good chance but they are a tough assignment regardless.

there are huge implications for this game, there are 4 spots in the playoff and one will go to FSU most likely, the other to whoever wins the SEC. the other two will be a battle between the big ten, pac 12, big 12, and possibly #2 SEC. I think MSU would still have a very good chance if they lost saturday and won out but you'd need some help if that was the case. whoever won the pac 12 would be considered better than the big 10 champ because of this game, right or wrong.

Just got back from the Clemson game. Left game pretty early cause I didn't want to take a chance missing the start of this game.

You MSU fans are getting too excited thinking MSU may win or keep it in single digits. The Quack Attack is about to put it on the best Big 10 defense.

We have a 3 headed monster at the RB position. Marshal our speed guy, Tyner our future NFL prospect and the freshman Big Boy Roce!!

Got a top 5 NFL draft pick QB running the show.

Got the best college CB in the game.

And weather? People want to talk about the weather? The same summer time weather Oregon has been practicing in all off season. It's beautiful in Oregon during the summer, this sunshine and heat is nothing new to us.

Anyways, gear up for a victory for my Ducks. It's going to get ugly and it will happen early.

MSU welcome to Autzen stadium, the place it never rains!

Last edited:
You MSU fans are getting too excited thinking MSU may win or keep it in single digits. The Quack Attack is about to put it on the best Big 10 defense.

We have a 3 headed monster at the RB position. Marshal our speed guy, Tyner our future NFL prospect and the freshman Big Boy Roce!!

Got a top 5 NFL draft pick QB running the show.

Got the best college CB in the game.

And weather? People want to talk about the weather? The same summer time weather Oregon has been practicing in all off season. It's beautiful in Oregon during the summer, this sunshine and heat is nothing new to us.

Anyways, gear up for a victory for my Ducks. It's going to get ugly and it will happen early.

MSU welcome to Autzen stadium, the place it never rains!

Class act, Im guessing youre an Alum (probably not)?

Last edited:
Definitely pulling for an MSU win tonight. Hope they get the ball first and have a nice long 12 play 8+ minute drive capped by a TD to open the game, followed by a 3 and out by the Ducks and another long TD drive that finishes off the 1st quarter with MSU up 14-0, the Ducks D getting so tired and rotating out so much that even their second and third string guys are sucking on the O2 like they are on life support, while their offense is like, WTF...when do we get the ball? Only to go out in the early 2nd quarter with the same 3 and out result and MSU with a 3rd long scoring TD drive.

Yep, that would be the perfect way to start the game and Oregon would be setup for the kill. Just grind out multiple long clock killing drives, that's all it will take for MSU to crush the Ducks!

Back