Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Rays @ Tigers 5-21-2016 Game 42

Kiernaier ended up breaking 2 bones in his left hand on that dive attempt earlier tin the game..

Tigers win! Fulmer and McCann the unlikely heroes today.

Last edited:
Good to see MCann with his timing and confidence back. Fuller looks like he's figuring it out and getting comfortable in the big leagues. Would like to see him get another start before Greene comes back which is right around the corner. If he looks this good again then I'd like to see him replace Sanchez. Too weak of a rotation to not have that power arm going every fifth day.. Wilson and Lowe are complete garbage now like the guys we've seen coming out of the pen for what seems like eternity. There's gotta be someone on the farm better than this. Maybe Sanchez can move to the pen if Greene is effective in his return.

Good to see MCann with his timing and confidence back. Fuller looks like he's figuring it out and getting comfortable in the big leagues. Would like to see him get another start before Greene comes back which is right around the corner. If he looks this good again then I'd like to see him replace Sanchez. Too weak of a rotation to not have that power arm going every fifth day.. Wilson and Lowe are complete garbage now like the guys we've seen coming out of the pen for what seems like eternity. There's gotta be someone on the farm better than this. Maybe Sanchez can move to the pen if Greene is effective in his return.

If either Wilson or Lowe is put on the DL say for an excuse for not pitching well, I would love to see Joe Jimenez brought up. Kind of a jump, but he has electric stuff.

Michael Fulmer is the 5th Tigers pitcher since 1913 to strike out 10-or-more batters in one of his first 5 career appearances.
Others: Kyle Lobstein (9/2/2014 at CLE), Jack Morris (7/31/1977 at TEX), Denny McLain (9/29/1963 at BAL), Ralph Comstock (9/1/1913 vs. SLB).

Ausmus said Victor Martinez was fine after rolling his ankle. Was not a concern by the time his next at-bat rolled around.

Fulmer looks like he's figuring it out and getting comfortable. Would like to see him get another start before Greene comes back which is right around the corner. If he looks this good again then I'd like to see him replace Sanchez. Too weak of a rotation to not have that power arm going every fifth day.

Sanchez will get it figured out. The guy I could see going to the pen is Pelfrey.

STREAKS AND STATS:
Michael Fulmer set a new career high in strikeouts when he earned his seventh strikeout on a leadoff K of Logan Morrison in the fifth. He went on to strike out 11 batters, becoming the fifth Tiger to strike out 10-or-more batters in one of his first five MLB starts since 1913.
The others were Kyle Lobstein (on Sept. 2, 2014, Jack Morris (on July 31, 1977), Denny McLain (on Sept. 29, 1963), and Ralph Comstock (on Sept. 1, 1913).

James McCann hit his first home run of the season in the seventh inning.

Cameron Maybin is now 11-for-16 since being activated from the DL. The home run was his first extra-base hit of the year, though.

J.D. Martinez's home run marked his ninth of the year. It was also his first hit after he was 0-for-5 on Friday night and had been 0-for-3 for the day to that point. A mini-slump, but it wasn't pretty while in progress.

Maybin was caught trying to steal a base for the first time this year. Meanwhile, Kinsler stole his fourth bag of the season in the seventh (third base).

What a treat to have Dick Enberg call the game. He and Gibson had a nice rapport (I think Gibby is worlds ahead of Rod Allen), and the inning and a half that Kaline was in the booth with them was priceless!

Back